A 2016 Forum Knife. An apology, and The Crossroads!

didn't we do a sheepsfoot in 2013?,can we possibly come up with something else?Lanny's Clip please

I guess I've done that myself...

TLAR-white-Micarta-jack.jpg

Ed J

now thats a forum knife :)

I hope some year we do a Lambfoot! That blade is more versatile than a sheep foot IMO.

BTW, Bill has a lot of work done on the 3 3/4" EE (future scout). We have an opportunity to have the "Triple P" version, if we choose!

The 3 3/4" EE would also be a great platform for a Cattle Knife. Would this be a possibility for the forum knife or is it too much? Long pull spear, Sheepsfoot, Pen or Punch!

If not, a Long Pull Spear single blade could be pretty sweet. Nice jigged bone or ivory micarta and federal shield...... That could work.

I can get behind a 3 3/4" cattle knife . The lambs foot wasnt doing it for me.

I'm not sure how much weight my opinion should have in this discussion because I have not participated in any of the annual knives (primarily because I have had a very limited knife budget in recent years, although I was sorely tempted by the 2014 offering). However, if you want an old pattern that is not produced anywhere today that would probably get me to pry open my wallet if offered in gabon ebony it would be a faithful reproduction of the classic cokebottle, like this one:

Barehead would be the only way to go, either one or two blades.

Neat idea. What's the length closed? 4.5 inches?

...BTW, Bill has a lot of work done on the 3 3/4" EE (future scout). We have an opportunity to have the "Triple P" version, if we choose!

Sounds good to me, Charlie. I think the Robeson example that was posted earlier would be a popular choice. Although the cap lifter was a target of a recent assassination attempt, it seems to be doing well in the polls and I think it would get a lot of votes for the forum knife as well.

Lots of other good ideas have been posted as well.

Here's an old Robeson to ponder...

IMG_3744_zpslduzshed.jpg~original

IMG_3747_zpsgjkmp8v4.jpg~original

The 3 3/4" EE would also be a great platform for a Cattle Knife. Would this be a possibility for the forum knife or is it too much? Long pull spear, Sheepsfoot, Pen or Punch!

If not, a Long Pull Spear single blade could be pretty sweet. Nice jigged bone or ivory micarta and federal shield...... That could work.

I'd be up for a cattle knife as well.

Charlie might have a couple of examples to follow. ;)
There are many variations of the Cattle knife, which most agree is the predecessor of the stockman.
A somewhat older pattern, I love the Cattle knife because it fits the hand well, has a choice of blades, and lays nice in your pocket. It also has a more "elemental" or "primitive" look to it; a simple equal end profile. Not as pretty as a swell center or serpentine knife, I think of them as plain and trustworthy.
These knives can be nearly as compact as a pen knife, or can be huge and imposing; ready for heavy work! Here are some of my favorites, and please show us some nice pictures of yours!
OTWcattle.jpg

These 2 Schrades came from the closed factory, a Cut Co, and a Walden. Schrade RIP :(!
fullclinestewartcopy.jpg

This is the old Cline Stewart from a recent Knifeworld column by Bernie Levine. $1 in a junk store!
CaseCattleMilled3.jpg

Finally 3 Greenbone Case Testeds.
Your turn;)!

I hope some year we do a Lambfoot! That blade is more versatile than a sheep foot IMO.

Good to see you Charlie :thumbup: Yes indeed, it'd be nice if everyone would take two seconds to learn the difference, and make an effort not to confuse two distinctly different blade forms :rolleyes:

didn't we do a sheepsfoot in 2013?

We did a Half Congress in 2013. We did a clip in 2014 :thumbup:

Yes indeed, it'd be nice if everyone would take two seconds to learn the difference, and make an effort not to confuse two distinctly different blade forms :rolleyes:

:D

sheep-lamb.jpg

I always appreciate your kind words, and really appreciate your photos too. And thanks for making the distinction, that I failed to recognize at first, between

sheep
IMG_4775.JPG

and lonesome lamb

Lambfoot_zps67f03276.jpg

what amazing old knives!

Last edited:

BTW, Bill has a lot of work done on the 3 3/4" EE (future scout). We have an opportunity to have the "Triple P" version, if we choose!

I like the idea of some variant of the 3 3/4 frame, as well as the idea of another PPP for the forum knife like the 2014 77. Is there any reason that we couldn't do a 3 blade version with a main, awl, and screwdriver/cap lifter?

Regardless of the pattern if this comes to fruition I will purchase one, I'm sure the finale design will be great because IMO Charlie has never let us down with any of his SFO's. I just hope there are no spear blades involved at this point and time I've had my fill of them. However I am fickle with my knife likes and that is subject to change at any "point" :D

A 3 3/4 inch version of the Northwoods presidential would also be a cool use of the new equal end pattern.... but maybe to similar too the knife from last year.

I hate to lose that opportunity, and any goodwill with Bill. Even more, since it's new this is the optimum time for us to get in and this might just speed production. A drop point on that frame would make a really nice knife to have out in the woods.

That would be an incredible knife but I don't think we'd hit the $100 price target.

Sounds good to me, Charlie. I think the Robeson example that was posted earlier would be a popular choice. Although the cap lifter was a target of a recent assassination attempt, it seems to be doing well in the polls and I think it would get a lot of votes for the forum knife as well.

I love Charlies vision of Phillls knife as well. Even if some think it is 'stupid'.

The lambsfoot was not doing it for me either. I did take 2 seconds to learn the difference. Not sure why the all the hostility about it.

Sounds like a winner to me Charlie.

What an opportunity!!! In my opinion, to pass on this would be silly.

Back