A 2016 Forum Knife. An apology, and The Crossroads!

cchu518- just for the record, i am cheap and sentimental. whaddya gonna do? i just, just love to cry and look at my old knives all the day long. :D Njbillk-sweeet! what forum will it be in, if you know at this point. i'd like to check the thread out.
thanks (sniff), Neal

Last edited:
With the awl having a rather steep chisel grind, it will tend to bite and wander to the cutting side.
-For clamshells I prefer a Pruner blade. You can get the tip to press through by "rocking/leveraging it in and the recurve holds the plastic.

That being said, I would much prefer a Pruner over an awl for a general purpose knife combination. Especially a Clip/Pruner combo!
Belly: check!
Recurve: check!
Straight edge: check 2x!
Nice sharp utility point: check 2x!

On top of that, both can be thin enough to excel at their respective tasks.
The clip will be a Fantastic slicer, and the heel wouldn't have to worry about flexing or breaking when choking up for close work.
The pruner would be great for detail oriented cuts, leather, fabrics and other soft material (pallet wrap) is where it shines. It works well for detail and inside cuts in wood for whittling. The blade hasn't been seen (iirc) on a bladeforums knife. Due to the nature of the kick being Just longer than the point, it can be buried far for comfort while using the main.
-------
neal: it is still a bit out as I still have to acquire things like the pivot barrels and such. But I will be doing a thread on it when it (eventually) is completed.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer! I've had a hawkbill blade in my kitchen drawer for quite a while that has been my 'box knife'. I recently went crazy and bought several GEC Harvesters and it has become my new work knife and my new kitchen box knife. I do have a couple of the GEC 3 blade Weaver Jacks. I love the addition of the clip with the pruner, but it's not exactly the most comfortable knife in hand.

Back on topic, I'm definitely in for this year's forum knife. This will probably be my first harness jack. I'm looking forward to the new pattern as well. The EE is one of my favorites and this is a perfect size to me.

It looks like we have a pretty good sample in the poll for deciding the shape of the main blade, so when do we get to see poll #2? Will it be for scale material? shield? Carbon vs. stainless?

I love the opportunity to be a part of this process...

Back