A basic owners guide for Emerson Knives

image.jpg Question for EmersonREP or anyone who might have an opinion on the matter. I sent my 09' Commander back right before thanksgiving and just got it back about a week ago. I did what I always do, disassemble, clean, reassembled and sharpen. So after a week the lock stick is so bad at times that it literally takes two thumbs to close, even with graphite or sharpie it's still very very sticky, more like dried concrete. The original issue for warranty work happened back in 2013 when I decided it wasn't going to sit in safe anymore and started using it for the first time. I can't recall the sticky lock but I did wear out the liner lock very quickly. So I bought a few more knives and put it on display in my man cave. Well back in November I decided I want to use it again so I sent it in to Emerson. No surprise they have awesome customer service and I didn't even pay return shipping, couldn't be happier. So on with my real issue, within a week of light use the lock up is at about 80-90%. This is what happened before and back then lock actually touched the opposite side of the tang and liner. I have watched it go from 20-30-60-80-.... there's no vertical blade play, but I'm still very hesitant to use it, the last time this happened I was supergluing a cut on my index finger. The other problem I have is this was a gift from my wife for our 3rd anniversary right before I deployed at the end of 09' so I don't want so many parts replaced (specifically the blade and scales) that it's no longer the knife she gave me. I know that sounds silly and I'm really not a sentimental person but I'd get rid of my all 44 of my knives before I lost this one. I'm not an engineer but I've worked with steel and knives long enough to know that there is either something wrong with the geometry of the blade tang or the titanium is too soft.... Am I wrong? Should I keep using it despite the advance wear? Sorry to be long winded but this knife is very important to me. Thanks for any input or advice.

Without having your knife in my hands to tinker with, I would guess that the issue is related to blade tang geometry and possibly pivot fitment. Sometimes swapping to a different emerson pivot (used/new) or a 3rd party one can fix lockup issues. Other contributing factors are how the lock bar is bent to create the leaf spring and the alignment of the g10 handles, liners, washers, and blade. After I get the handle alignment right on some of my "sensitive" knives, I make sure the handle screws are pretty tight to help reduce the chance of things shifting over time/use. Good luck.

Without having your knife in my hands to tinker with, I would guess that the issue is related to blade tang geometry and possibly pivot fitment. Sometimes swapping to a different emerson pivot (used/new) or a 3rd party one can fix lockup issues. Other contributing factors are how the lock bar is bent to create the leaf spring and the alignment of the g10 handles, liners, washers, and blade. After I get the handle alignment right on some of my "sensitive" knives, I make sure the handle screws are pretty tight to help reduce the chance of things shifting over time/use. Good luck.
Well I appreciate any input, I'm going to go ahead and contact Emerson today and see if maybe they have some input. I'll post up what the resolution is so other that may be experiencing similar issues might benefit.

Hey guys I have a question. Does the Emerson cqc7F have a hidden stop pin? I'm thinking mine went bye bye if it's not hidden

Yes, the stop pin on most Emerson flippers is "hidden" internally, allowing the flipper tab (fin) to have clearance. If I recall correctly only the Sheepdog has the traditional stop pin location. Additionally, I believe the liners of the Flipper 7's still have the old (unused) stop pin hole.

View attachment 830681 Question for EmersonREP or anyone who might have an opinion on the matter. I sent my 09' Commander back right before thanksgiving and just got it back about a week ago. I did what I always do, disassemble, clean, reassembled and sharpen. So after a week the lock stick is so bad at times that it literally takes two thumbs to close, even with graphite or sharpie it's still very very sticky, more like dried concrete. The original issue for warranty work happened back in 2013 when I decided it wasn't going to sit in safe anymore and started using it for the first time. I can't recall the sticky lock but I did wear out the liner lock very quickly. So I bought a few more knives and put it on display in my man cave. Well back in November I decided I want to use it again so I sent it in to Emerson. No surprise they have awesome customer service and I didn't even pay return shipping, couldn't be happier. So on with my real issue, within a week of light use the lock up is at about 80-90%. This is what happened before and back then lock actually touched the opposite side of the tang and liner. I have watched it go from 20-30-60-80-.... there's no vertical blade play, but I'm still very hesitant to use it, the last time this happened I was supergluing a cut on my index finger. The other problem I have is this was a gift from my wife for our 3rd anniversary right before I deployed at the end of 09' so I don't want so many parts replaced (specifically the blade and scales) that it's no longer the knife she gave me. I know that sounds silly and I'm really not a sentimental person but I'd get rid of my all 44 of my knives before I lost this one. I'm not an engineer but I've worked with steel and knives long enough to know that there is either something wrong with the geometry of the blade tang or the titanium is too soft.... Am I wrong? Should I keep using it despite the advance wear? Sorry to be long winded but this knife is very important to me. Thanks for any input or advice.

It probably needs a wider stop pin. This usually fixes the lockbar being over so far. It will then lock up early and normal wear will break it in.

Back