Recommendation? A custom fighter hand forged and ground. Handle and polishing

I tried my first attempt at a custom knife yesterday ( from scratch ). Forged on a brick and coal forge with old 1800s bellows that a blacksmith was kind enough to let me try on. Just ground the knife blade with a convex grind on a grind wheel ( not belt ) and ground an
20181016_164033_zpsfeuqgcoi.jpg
agressive clip. I am wondering who or where i can find some of this material from ( i have no pic but it had hexagonal aluminum honeycomb with a kind of synthetic material (blue)) and what to use for the liners of in between the scales and blade. I am searching for some kind of badas* looking mosaic pin material, the holes are 3/16. Anyone have some suggestions. Looking for ideas because i cant find my original scale material i was going ti use. Thanks!! -Zemapeli.

Its not chisel ground, ill see if i can get more pics up^^^^ ideas? What do u think? This is my first attempt

If you are making it in such a classic way, why not use classic handle material to fit the style?

Good looking clip btw

If you are making it in such a classic way, why not use classic handle material to fit the style?

Good looking clip btw
Thanks hengelo, i thought it might look kinda cool, i am thinking of grinding the tang to a taper tang and using phosphoric or pcb to recreate a finish and etch some kind of makers mark on the grind after i tripoli muslin wheel and hand polish to satin. neutralizing in some k1 kerosene, then possibly attempting some filework of some kind. Maybe vine and arrowhead pattern?? .

Personalu I'd go all classic on that one. Just hand sand to 400 or 600 and walnut scales like classic bowies.
Maybe do a coarse checkering on the scales

the aluminum honeycomb is called C-tek. google c-tek knife scales to find a dealer.

What’s your game plan for cleaning up the edge bevels?

I
What’s your game plan for cleaning up the edge bevels?
Plan on using an emery cloth wheel on a bench grinder of some kind. The tang is so fat and honestly not flush. So,,, ill have to do a taper tang. I dont have tools or equiptment atm so im thinking on just offloading it to my poor local welder at the welding shop for a tang tamper and use his buffing wheel and emery for a finish. Haha. I found some amazing waterbuffalo horn scales that would be prefect for 30 on the web. Im thinking a handstitched leather sheath would be great. Not sure how or what as of just yet.

Kinda sucks because when i started this i was working right next to this tiny blacksmith shop and forge in a shed sized building. ( i wish i had a set up like that ) that was really cool .I was working at a carnival with a friend of mine at the time and only had 4 hours in the morning and three 15 minute breaks to work on it. There was no belt sander there all the grind work was done on a bench grinder and grind wheel which i am so unused to. It suprised me how hard it was to keep a consistant grind line, i had to regrind it a couple times. Its amazing to me that this is how it was done long ago. I never had worked a bellows before. Its my first actually forged knife. Even though its nothing fancy im proud haha.

I wish i had taken pics and vids of the actual forging process. That would've been really neat to post up here. I cant beleive the talent of some of the guys on here. Absolute art. So humbled.
-Zemapeli

Back