A.G. Russell Acies 2 -- first impressions

A.G., thank you. It is quite possible I was fiddling with the knife in my pocket without realizing it since I had been fiddling with it hours on end before sticking it in my pocket. And my fiddling was intended on purpose to make it open easier at the detent. Tip up or down isn't as significant here, in my opinion, as to whether the blade opens to the left or right. Carrying it in my left pocket, the way I had it let the blade open slightly to the right, tip up, poised ready to stab me like a Maasai lion spear when I jammed my hand in that pocket. If I were to carry it in my right pocket I would switch the clip back like it was so the blade opened to the right up against the lining of that pocket. What counts is which pocket you carry it in since I would want the blade tucked up against my pocket lining whichever side. To me the question of tip up or down is irrelevant here. Waistband carry would be different.

I should point out that even tho I carry clip folders in my left pocket to keep them out of my way, I'm right handed. So when I do use the knife I pull it with my left hand and pass it to my right hand ready to open. I too was using my third or fourth finger in the clip the way it came. When I swapped ends, it became a choice between my forefinger or my third finger in the clip groove and it seems most natural to use the third. If I'm right handed, why don't I carry it in my right pocket? That's where I carry my keys on a chain and my cheap Barlow I don't mind sticking in the dirt or losing or loaning to someone to use. A knife clipped in that pocket would be constantly snagging and in the way. Please don't go changing the knife on my account, since like I said I may well have fiddled it open. Perhaps a small card included with the knife suggesting swapping the clip for left pocket carry if that turned out to be a problem for anyone else but me. Certainly making the detent stronger would just increase my own initial problem. I would be more than happy to provide additional feedback on any of this.

I really want to buy one of these. Hmm Chris is talking me into it. ;) Hope everyone is enjoying their's!

Sorry for your trouble Natch. Glad it is working out. Sometimes framelocks can really respond to the smallest amount of pressure forcing the detent ball to press into the detent hole. You have to really make sure your fingers are out of the way.

Is ZDP-189 blade fragile? What about chopping with this knife?

I really think that the Acies2 does not have enough weight for chopping, however the steel is tough enough. I chopped dozens of finger sized oak branches with my larger Acies. Very hard and tough steel.

bigiluxa, I don't think we would keep on producing knives in solid ZDP if there was an "issue".

And is blade's tip tough enough to survive after accidental drop on the concrete floor or stubbing cans? I've just read the old thread about such kind of issue with kershaw's early zdp blades.

I have an A.G. Russell Acies (larger version) and have used it a TON on all types of material and I'm very pleased with how well the ZDP-189 has held up all while maintaining a sharp edge longer than most of my other blades. I did manage to roll (NOT BREAK) the edge at the tip once by accidentally dropping on it my kitchen's tile floor but it was easily rectified. If you search I think you'll find a video on YouTube in which a gentlemen tests the toughness of ZDP-189 vs. S30V while cutting apart metal olive oil cans and the ZDP-189 held up extremely well. Frankly, I was surprised and had always assumed, wrongly so, that this steel would be too brittle for "my" EDC use but I've had terrific luck with and really enjoy using the A.G. Russell Acies.

Considering who designed the Acies and the company that builds the knife for him I'd say its a safe bet that you'd have zero to worry about. :)

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Been lusting after the Acies for a while and guess I missed out, but the Acies2 seems right up my alley...

Re: ZDP - have a Lum Chinese with a fairly slim grind and tip and while the tip has on occasion chipped/broken off, it's usually when I'm just being dumb and after I had sharpened it to a very fine point (thinned the secondary bevel).

No issues with it and it's my favorite super steel.

Follow-up: I used Nano Oil to smooth the opening and closing.

It's still not as smooth as my Sebs.

A.G.: If you had been able to make this beautiful Acies2 a bit smoother, it would be my favorite folder. As it is, it is merely my favorite shape.

Follow-up: I used Nano Oil to smooth the opening and closing.

It's still not as smooth as my Sebs.

A.G.: If you had been able to make this beautiful Acies2 a bit smoother, it would be my favorite folder. As it is, it is merely my favorite shape.

Flash, Thanks for enjoying my design, please ship me the knife. If I cannot make it smoother or find one that is then I will be happy to refund.

The only knives that I have found to be as smooth as the Acies and Acies2 have been some of the original Ripples and Ereos from CRKT

Hahahaha, I just knew this was going to happen. If you post a message aimed towards A.G. Anywhere on the internet...he's bound to get a hold of it and answer it.

Thanks, AG.

Love the Acies2 and looking forward to having you tweak mine (I have two), which are just perfect in every way but one.

Thanks, AG.

Love the Acies2 and looking forward to having you tweak mine (I have two), which are just perfect in every way but one.

Not sure how long you've been using your Acies 2 but I can tell you that my Acies became smoother (a lot actually) as I used it and ya just gotta love the ergonomics of the handle and how much blade Mr. Russell fits inside it.
Good luck!

Not sure how long you've been using your Acies 2 but I can tell you that my Acies became smoother (a lot actually) as I used it and ya just gotta love the ergonomics of the handle and how much blade Mr. Russell fits inside it.
Good luck!

I DO love the ergos -- I'm just pleased to have the man himself tweak these beauties.

I'm a big fan of the original Acies, the Acies2 and A.G. the man.

My Acies2 has become smoother with use and I am impressed with the extreme sharpness of the blade. And yes you get a lot of blade for the size. Mr. Russell any recomendation on what lube and sharpener to use. I have many different lube and lately have been using Ballistol. Also, will keep blade tuned up on my Spyderco Sharpmaker and my strop. Thanks for an excellent knife.

RKH

Again I like mine ......granted its not easy to open persay but once you get past the detent .....its one smooth knife then.
I just figure you have to break it in a little .........its not that bad though , I can live with it the way it is.
Iam glad they made the smaller version.

It's a safe bet that all production knives must be broken in to some extent. Being right handed myself, I cannot carry a folder in my left pocket, that is too cumbersome. It's much easier to dedicate the RFP to the folder, and use the other pockets or a messenger bag for everything else. My reason specifically is to avoid preventable accidents, such as Natch experienced. With the blade pressing against the pocket seam in a tip up configuration, it's pretty darn tough to get cut.

As for the thumbstuds on this knife they are sharp, but they also provide excellent purchase for opening the knife. My experience is with KAI pruducts (SpeedformII, Blurs, Zing, etc.). It is also entirely possible that user error contributes to most cases of "chewed thumbs". Pressing in the wrong direction, pressing lockbars in, pressing down instead of pushing happens to a lot of people. It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of some folders.

Back