A.G. Russell B&T what else compares?

Hi,

I've been looking at the A.G. Russell Bird and Trout in D2.

The things that I like about this knife are:
- the full flat grind
- the thin blade stock .060" (1/16")
- carbon steel blade
- under $75.00 (my price range)
- the sheath options are also nice (want a fixed blade)

The other two knives I was looking at are the DH Russell bird and trout in carbon steel with the flat grind or maybe the Queen Rabbit or Canoe in D2.

Are there any other thin flat ground knives that I should look at?

I do have a Spyderco Moran (VG10) that I really like. Looking for something a bit smaller with similar performance in carbon.

Thanks

Shun classic kitchen paring knife.

I know you're looking for an outdoor knife, but the AG Russell b&t is pretty much a kitchen paring knife also. And there's really no reason to think that a kitchen knife can't function as an outdoor knife, especially in hunting situations. The Shun isn't carbon, but its core is VG-10, and you've said you liked the VG-10 of the Spyderco Moran. I'll bet you'd like it better than the AG Russell b&t. No sheath though.

I'm pretty sure the AG Russell knives you mentioned are bead-blasted. If so, I'd be a bit concerned about corrosion resistance on a bead-blasted, D2 blade.

I'm new here and am by no means an expert but I have mixed feelings about A.G. Russell and this knife in particular. I've ordered a few knives from them and sent 1/2 to 3/4 of them back. About 50% of those for quality issues and 50% because they weren't what I expected them to be. I don't know whether I have an overinflated view of value for dollar or what so take most of this with a bag or two of salt.

I've ordered this knife before. Once when it was around $29 and once when it was around $49. I sent it back the first time because it has a cheap, in-my-not-so-humble-opinion, plastic sheath with a little clip that you attach to your jean's belt loop. There is no way I'm going to hang a hunting knife off a belt loop of a pair of blue jeans. Just too easy for me not to notice the knife hung on something and now I don't have knife or belt loop. I did like the sheath lock though. I thought it was innovative and it seemed to work in what limited testing I did. I liked the size of it and the feel of the handle but the sheath was a big deal breaker.

I saw it a few months later offered with the A2 steel and a better looking sheath - it now had a leather belt loop on the sheath to slip your belt through. When I called about the price I was told it was better steel (I told you I'm not an expert) but they couldn't tell me much about the sheath. I decided to take another chance on it.

When it got here is was the same _____ sheath with a paper thin piece of leather that you could fold over and attach to the sheath with this teeny tiny little rivet. That formed the loop to slip your belt through. Also included was the same hang-it-off-your-pant's-clip in case you didn't want the belt loop. It was sent back too. I know nothing about what's good steel or better steel but there was no way I was paying $50 for a knife with what I felt was an inadequate sheath.

Like I said, maybe I expect too much for what I'm willing to pay. Pricing handmade stuff here sure has been an eye opener. I've got good stuff from AGR that I thought was a very good price and then I've paid what I considered to be top dollar for something special that wasn't perfect.

If you are looking for a bird and trout knife did you look at this offering from AGR: Woodswalker? This is one of the things I've found to be an exceptional value at AGR. Its a great bird and trout knife that I've also used to skin hogs and deer. Has a good sheath and fits perfectly in your back pocket until needed.

Just a thought.

Hi,

I've been looking at the A.G. Russell Bird and Trout in D2.

The things that I like about this knife are:
- the full flat grind
- the thin blade stock .060" (1/16")
- carbon steel blade
- under $75.00 (my price range)
- the sheath options are also nice (want a fixed blade)

The other two knives I was looking at are the DH Russell bird and trout in carbon steel with the flat grind or maybe the Queen Rabbit or Canoe in D2.

Are there any other thin flat ground knives that I should look at?

I do have a Spyderco Moran (VG10) that I really like. Looking for something a bit smaller with similar performance in carbon.

Thanks

I recently bought the Canal Street drop point in D2 from Bill Horn over at www.cumberlandknifeworks.com for $79.00. In my view, it is an astounding value.

When released the price was quite a bit higher and none of the dealers would budge on it. I bought a few Canal Street slipjoints on the bay and found them to be beautifully made.

So when I saw that cumberland had the D2 hunter for $79.00, I jumped on it,
and boy am I glad I did. GREAT fit and finish, as sharp an edge out of the box as I've ever seen on D2, and a classy & useful traditional heavy leather sheath. Full tang, jigged bone handle.

It's not super thin stock, but I urge you to take a look at it.
It's really a winner.

http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=canal_sheath

Oh, P.S., a thin stock D2 knife that compares favorably with the Russell
is the Knives of Alaska Lone Wolf Suregrip. I've seen it selling in the $60. range.

I second the Woodswalker. I don't have experience with very many of the other knives offered by A.G. Russell, but I agree that the Woodswalker is an exceptional value.

I bought an AG Russel B & T in D2 for my daughter and think it is a great little knife. Yes, it has a plastic sheath and a hard fiber reinforced plastic handle but so what. The appear to function well and I personally think the knife is a very usable size. I have had a Woodswalker also and prefer the Bird & Trout myself.

sceva

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, I’m not stuck on the D2 material but I would like to keep it “carbon steel”
(A2, 1095, doesn’t matter). Although the D2 does have better corrosion resistant properties than other carbon steels I don’t mind the upkeep aspect.

I am looking for something in the “bird and trout” style/size (thinner and smaller than a “hunter”) . As mentioned I have the Spyderco Moran. I also have a Schrade Sharpfinger in carbon and a stainless filet knife so I’m probably already covered for what I need. But I have a bit of spare $ to add to the collection and it’s fun to see what’s out there that might fill this niche.

The Benchmade, Canal Street and the Lone?? (Alpha) Wolf are a bit longer or thicker than what I had in mind but still very nice. The companion Benchmade #192 B&T looks close but is in 440C.

I do like the AG Woodswalker and may eventually get one.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

C.

You should look at the John Greco Dangler. I have the Caper, and it's size is perfect for B&T, which is what I use it for. I wasn't sure about the dangler type sheath, but it is actually very, very handy and versatile. I'm very impressed with the 52100 steel, and I have to say that this was probably the sharpest knife out of the package that I have ever seen. For the price (@$65) you cannot go wrong.
http://www.grecoknives.com/dangler_caper_with_burgundy_handles.htm

Have you looked at a Benchmade 190? D2. Nicely made. Comfortable to hold. Not crazy expensive.
bm190hunter1.jpg

One should NEVER take a ....(pffahh)... KITCHEN knife OUTDOORS!!!!

That is precisely the sort of thing that will bring KNIFE NUTS down to the level of liberal politically correct PTA girl scout .....weenies.

Jerry Van Cook would not like it.

Lynn Thompson would not like it.

It is a TERRIBLE idea.

SHAME !!!!!

:grumpy:

I've ordered this knife before. Once when it was around $29 and once when it was around $49. I sent it back the first time because it has a cheap, in-my-not-so-humble-opinion, plastic sheath with a little clip that you attach to your jean's belt loop. There is no way I'm going to hang a hunting knife off a belt loop of a pair of blue jeans. Just too easy for me not to notice the knife hung on something and now I don't have knife or belt loop. I did like the sheath lock though. I thought it was innovative and it seemed to work in what limited testing I did. I liked the size of it and the feel of the handle but the sheath was a big deal breaker.
I have the Bird and Trout with the AUS-8 blade. It's a First Production Run, so I don't use it, but I do ECD the Hunters Scalpel, a miniature version of the Bird and Trout - same materials and same design.

My Bird and Trout has the original style clip, so I can't comment on the new leather belt loop design. But I can say that with two lanyard holes, a belt loop, and clip, I can't imagine having "security" issues with this knife. Also, the thumbolt design is very efficient and secure - I've been EDCing the Hunters Scalpel for three years and have never had a problem.

Yeah, a cheap plastic sheath... You mean Zytel? A trademarked name of FRN, the material used in in the Delica, Endura, and many other production knives? Yeah, no one around here would carry or use one of those...

$40 for the Bird and Trout in D2? I think that's a fair deal.

I've purchased two of the Hunters Scalpels, one Bird and Trout, and one Deer Hunter, and have never seen a defect in any of them.

I'm pretty sure the AG Russell knives you mentioned are bead-blasted. If so, I'd be a bit concerned about corrosion resistance on a bead-blasted, D2 blade.
Mine are all the AUS-8. The finish is sort-of matte, but it's definitely not bead-blasted.

If you're looking for a more traditional-style knife with natural handle materials, I think you'd be very happy with the DH Russell models. Also, they don't normally have flat grinds, but have you considered the Scandanavian style knives from Mora, Helle, etc.?

Best Wishes,
-Bob

I'm new here and am by no means an expert but I have mixed feelings about A.G. Russell and this knife in particular. I've ordered a few knives from them and sent 1/2 to 3/4 of them back. About 50% of those for quality issues and 50% because they weren't what I expected them to be. I don't know whether I have an overinflated view of value for dollar or what so take most of this with a bag or two of salt.

Just a thought.

Are you Walt?

Thanks for the replies.

The Benchmade, Canal Street and the Lone?? (Alpha) Wolf are a bit longer or thicker than what I had in mind but still very nice.

C.

Right, sorry, it's the Alpha Wolf by Knives of Alaska.

(Had been looking at a Lone Wolf folder which was on my mind when I posted.)

3Guardsmen said:

You are not correct

Mr. Russell,

I apologize for posting my assumption. I was told by a friend, who owns the Deer Hunter and B&T models, that they were bead-blasted. Remind me to properly educate him. If you don't mind sharing, what is the "finish type" on those blades (I didn't see it listed on the website)? Thanks.

Regards,
3G

Back