A. G. Russell Lockback Folding Hunter and Medium Gunstock

Does anyone have either of these and if so, what are your thoughts? I’ve have numerous Russell knives and overall have been happy with them, but I haven’t bought any of his current traditional knives. I am interested in one of these two in particular and just looking for some feedback. My use would be anything a normal, larger folder would be asked to do. I don't hunt or fish, but do go hiking, camping and canoeing/kayaking. Thanks for your input.

I had a Folding Hunter. The F&F were spot on and this folder will serve you very well. It is BIG.
rolf

I have the large two blade Sowbelly Trapper. It's sitting on my desk as I write. The fit and finish was just about perfect. My only issue with the knife was the spring strength was a bit weak, but it was certainly usable if you are careful cutting. I would buy more AG Russell's stuff. My guess is that you will be satisfied with either of your choices.

IMG_1683copy_zps36ef8485.jpg

I have this smaller 3 5/8" Gunstock and a couple of other A G Russell slip joints, which have all impressed me as very well made. His designs are simple and sturdy (with a bit of flair).

To echo the others above...
I've got the AGR Arkansas Hunter lock back in stag, the medium gunstock and a few of the other slip joint patterns.
They're all very well made and none of them have disappointed me.

Both the hunter and gunstock were bought as seconds, but I can't find anything wrong with them.

The hunter and most of the other lock backs are designed to maximize the blade width while still fitting nicely in the frames. What AG did was remove the secondary spring most lock backs have and uses a small coil spring tucked all the way in the back.
It works very well and makes the blade easy to open too. They all have a secondary stop pin inside the frame, so the blade never makes contact with the back.
The hunter and gunstock can be opened one handed.

Back