A GAW-For Tomorrow, We Hunt! Winner selected!

Kiteman72

Gold Member
A while back, I had noticed that Rockon75 Rockon75 was looking for a 23 to try out for the upcoming hunting season.
Back before I knew what GEC was, I had gotten ahold of a Schrade Fire and Ice Jumbo Trapper, and I used it one year to field dress a whitetail buck. It was one of those hunts that should have been great, but I was fighting with my dad thru the whole thing and the memory turned out to not be the sweetest, if you know what I mean. I did a poor job of cleaning up my knife and I cast it into the knife drawer and promptly forgot about it.

Well, Josh had found a 23 by the time I reached out to him, but he offered to clean the Schrade Jumbo Trapper up for me anyway, and now I have it back and it is looking good and and YOU can win it! Josh also included a nice pocket slip that will come with the knife! :thumbsup: It's a 2008 (I think) Schrade Fire and Ice Trapper, ser #247, and it is a Bear Trap. It has been full of blood and guts and it is no longer mint. I did find the original box, and it says "red pick bone" and will come with the knife.

I love a good hunting story. Let's hear yours!

Need a knife for a new hunter? Let's hear the details. Are you going hunting for the first time this year and need a knife? Looking for more than the standard "I'm in" and it wouldn't hurt if you're a BF regular either, haha. All Lurkers welcome, however, as long as you have a good story! I imagine we'll do some kind of random drawing from among the qualified entrants.

I plan to email Josh some pics of this thing so he can help me in this enterprise, but I haven't done that yet. Soon. :)
I just wanted to get this off the ground before all the seasons get going, with apologies to the elk and deer hunters that are at it already! I also promise to add at least one story of my own, as the GAW progresses.

Good Luck, Please Enter!

I'll start with a story.

One year I was sitting high in a poplar tree in my climber. It was late October and the leaves of our Maryland hardwoods were beautiful, filled with oranges and reds from the leaves of our deciduous forests. It was early muzzle loader season. I noticed something working its way down the very small, low volume, drainage I was hunting. It was black, was it a black-phase squirrel? I'd been after one for a while, but i had the wrong weapon for that quarry. As it followed the trickling stream toward me, it jumped from water puddle to water puddle. When it got below me, I realized that I was looking at the most beautiful reflective black coated wild mink. I had never seen a mink in the wild, nor have I since. These type of experiences are why I take to the woods. Sometimes I take the game I'm hunting, but often I'm left with lasting memories that don't include the quarry I'm chasin'.
Now, here is a pic of a deer rifle that was sporterized by my great grandfather and the same man's case clasp knife. Im lucky to have inherited both.
20181124_121438.jpg

I'll start with a story.

One year I was sitting high in a poplar tree in my climber. It was late October and the leaves of our Maryland hardwoods were beautiful, filled with oranges and reds from the leaves of our deciduous forests. It was early muzzle loader season. I noticed something working its way down the very small, low volume, drainage I was hunting. It was black, was it a black-phase squirrel? I'd been after one for a while, but i had the wrong weapon for that quarry. As it followed the trickling stream toward me, it jumped from water puddle to water puddle. When it got below me, I realized that I was looking at the most beautiful reflective black coated wild mink. I had never seen a mink in the wild, nor have I since. These type of experiences are why I take to the woods. Sometimes I take the game I'm hunting, but often I'm left with lasting memories that don't include the quarry I'm chasin'.
Now, here is a pic of a deer rifle that was sporterized by my great grandfather and the same man's case clasp knife. Im lucky to have inherited both.
View attachment 1425072
Very nice.... looks like a 30-40 Krag.... I've heard those are most excellent deer rifles...

I've seen a few pretty cool things while deer hunting.... two years ago, I saw a young (spotted) mountain lion, then the mother quickly following, down in Del Rio.... they went by so quickly, I thought I was "seeing things"...

A really pleasant morning about 30 years ago, I was sitting on the side of a draw, waiting for the sun to come fully up, but it was light enough to see... a roadrunner worked his way across about 30 yards in front of me... either he didn't know I was there, or he just didn't care, but it was a good experience watching him work his way through the short scrub, making his little chirping noises.

Hunting is not all about the "kill".... it's the experience of being out in the middle of it...

I took my youngest son deer hunting on Junior Hunting Day one year in Vermont. I let him use his grandfather's 35 Remington lever action Marlin. We had no sooner gotten out of the truck and headed across this field very close to the Canadian border in the Green Mountains when he spotted the buck up against the treeline. It was standing broadside and posing as if for the cover of a magazine. I told him to aim for the forward shoulder and slowly squeeze the trigger. The rifle went off, a clean miss! But the deer was still there. I whispered to fire again, and to breathe. Another miss. Just then the deer went airborne, jumping and twisting. My son jacked another round into the chamber and swung. I saw the deer buckle in mid air. A sure hit, but too far back.

My boy was ready to give up. I told him no, you've just wounded a deer, and now you have a responsibility to find it and finish the job. We found a blood trail in the brightly colored autumn leaves and followed it for about two hours. It was difficult to tell the blood spots from the leaves. But eventually the track crossed the dirt road and we picked up the trail on the other side, heading across a corn field towards the river (which is where I thought a wounded buck would head). Soon we spotted him humped up near the water. I told my son that he had to fire the finishing shot, as it was his deer, and it was against the law for me to do it for him.

After dragging the buck out of the corn field, we loaded it into the pickup and headed to the reporting station in town. My boy got his picture taken with his first buck! Then back to our house to hoist the deer up inside the garage. When it had hung for a couple of days in the cool Vermont weather, we both dressed the deer. My boy not only got his first deer, but he learned something about responsibility and what happens after you pull the trigger. It was a great experience for both of us!

I'll tell another to get it back to the top. Come on all, get a chance at this awesome knife that you dont need to worry about putting a patina on.

Two spring gobbler seasons ago I was the caller and my buddy was the shooter. I knew the area and the birds. Id killed a number from the same spot over the years. I wanted my buddy to get one as it had been a while. Like clockwork, at twilight, two jakes fly down into the field. I said relax. The big boys walk into the field. These two are trying to beat the competition. I look 100 yards across the field and here comes the blue head. Slowly, very slowly, making his way from the thick, finally popping unto the field. He looks 100 yards up at our decoys and let's her rip. He's a monster bird, but he freezes. Stands there for probably 5 minutes. Which in turkey time feels like 5 days. Then he steps and we see he is hurt, badly. The right leg could not take weight. He layed down in the field for a while. I never saw a turkey just lay down and sleep. That was a first. We didn't know if he kicked the bucket or what. Then we see two hens enter the field an hour later. He stands and gobbles and acts all big and tough. I always have my binos. I watched his eyes roll as he stood in full strut as the females pass him by. They walk past as if to say, no thx. He then does his best to limp behind and chase them across the field. He makes his way to our right side, from the left, but still out 75 yards. The girls leave him for their nests and now he's upset. I think his sexual frustration may play into our hands. He may now limp up to our decoys. I call, he gobbles. I call he gobbles. I'm thinking I'm the best caller in the world, he's coming in. Then, out of the corner of my eye I see a flash of movement. As we were looking 75yards at our 2 o'clock, two Longbeards sneek in from our 9 o'clock, 15 yrds away. I say jesoflip right here buddy! Either one. By the time my buddy got repositioned, one had jumped on top of our Jake decoy and spurred it and beat it to the ground. The bird is starring down at the decoy he just destroyed, spurring it. He stands on top of it, one leg planted in the dirt, the other pushing the decoy as hard as he can into the soil. At 15 yards, I could read his expression, "take that and get off my farm" is what he was saying. I said shoot and the bird rolled. Now. What I think really was going on is these two buddies had beaten up on that older longbeard and gave him a limp. They saw him working those hens and wanted to come in and finish the old bird but just happened to run into our set first. Here I thought I was some awesome caller. That bird was gobbling at the bullies, not me....haha. Anyhow, a great memory in my cranium file..

Here is ol' gimpy as we named him. No one got him that i know of. He was a huge bird.
20200925_233216.jpg

Here is the other one of rhe Bullies as we decided that these birds were. His buddy is lying behind the destroyed decoy. Correction, I looked closer, thats our hen decoy he is behind. The jake and other bullie are a bit to the left and either out of the picture or the grass is too high to see them on the ground. Can't remeber for certain.
20200925_233140.jpg
Here is my bird. Same spot. One year earlier.
IMG_154.jpg

Last edited:
When I was a kid we lived in an old farmhouse for a couple years, and there were cornfields and strawberry fields all around us, and an apple orchard up on the hill. Me and my brother and a neighbor kid would always be fishing together and frog gettin' for the legs. One fall we decided we were going to get a pheasant. I only had field points so I folded and hammered a bottlecap over the point of some of my arrows. We went out between the corn rows and spent quite a bit of time out there until I spotted a bird. I froze, and so did the bird...I drew my arrow and let it fly, it hit true and that bird flapped around for a minute or two before it died. That moment was an awakening and a changing point in my life. I needed help to dress the bird from our neighbors dad because I was unprepared, I was about 12 years old at the time. He was a Puerto Rican immigrant and knew how to clean a bird. His wife cooked the pheasant and a lot of other fixin's and we had a great meal. I still remember how beautiful that bird was wandering through that corn field.

When I was a kid we lived in an old farmhouse for a couple years, and there were cornfields and strawberry fields all around us, and an apple orchard up on the hill. Me and my brother and a neighbor kid would always be fishing together and frog gettin' for the legs. One fall we decided we were going to get a pheasant. I only had field points so I folded and hammered a bottlecap over the point of some of my arrows. We went out between the corn rows and spent quite a bit of time out there until I spotted a bird. I froze, and so did the bird...I drew my arrow and let it fly, it hit true and that bird flapped around for a minute or two before it died. That moment was an awakening and a changing point in my life. I needed help to dress the bird from our neighbors dad because I was unprepared, I was about 12 years old at the time. He was a Puerto Rican immigrant and knew how to clean a bird. His wife cooked the pheasant and a lot of other fixin's and we had a great meal. I still remember how beautiful that bird was wandering through that corn field.
Awesome story. I am waiting for the "click" to occur in my own boys, but im not going to force it. I've introduced 2 friends to the out of doors and i can remember their "click". While I await for my boys, and we need some more knife content, here is a pick of my eldest with, an appropriate knife for your ( sitflyer sitflyer ) story, a 56 bird dog in pheasant feather acrylic. Picked by him out of all the others from Mr. Howard's knife store at the factory. My youngest chose a @waynorth sfo on the 48 pattern. Id say they both were lucky dogs that day!!
Now, if I could get them both to smile at the same time when taking a picture, we'd be in good shape...:rolleyes:
20200926_051325.jpg

The Importance of Self Confidence.
We used to rent this cabin up in Clarion PA near Cook's Forest when we were kids, each of us telling our parents we were going with one of the other kids uncles. Opening day was the Monday after Thanksgiving every year and we'd head up there every year on Friday morning giving us two days of heavy drinkin', shooring and playing cards. Now I definitely wouldn't want my son doing this but man those were some good times and we learned a lot, laughed a lot, bonded, got to enjoy nature and learned a ton of life lessons.
One year, I was probably about 16 and way better at finding my way around the city than navigating the big woods, and they were some big woods up there. We got into the woods before sunrise walking in with flashlights following a pipe line for about a half mile before turning off that trail and then another 45 minutes or so of walking. We all agreed we'd spend the whole day in the woods and meet at the car at after sunset. The keys were left hidden under the fender in a magnetic box in case on of us came out early, hopefully dragging a buck. Well I sat all day, saw a few does and started walking back when it was too dark to shoot but there was still some twilight in the sky. I came across this grisled looking old hunter on the way out and we talked for a bit about our day. He said he was parked on the pipe line too and we could walk out together. So I waited for him to gather up his stuff and I started to continue on my way towards the pipe line when he said Hold up son, you're going the wrong way, the pipe line is this way and he pointed with his thumb in almost the complete opposite direction. Man, I was lucky to run into this guy, I'd have been lost for sure. I figured we were about 15 minutes from the pipe line so I started to worry after walking for over a half an hour in the dark. Eventually I stopped the old hunter and told him we must be going the wrong way and that I was heading back the direction I originally thought. He tried to convince me I was wrong and eventually wished me luck and we parted ways. Now I was scared, alone and it was pitch black in those woods and all I had was one of those Everready flashlights from K Mart with the two C batteries. As I walked I called out for my friends who were also worried and looking for me on the pipe line. Eventually the heard me and yelled back, helping me fine tune my trek back to the pipe line.
Long story short the next day we heard about a guy lost in the woods who spent the night out there. His friends organized a search party and eventually found him mid morning.
I have no idea how a 16 year old city boy from Pittsburgh finally found the self confidence to go his own way and turn away from the seasoned old pro, but I'm sure glad I did. My friends never would've let me live that one down.

Some great stories, I appreciate each one a great deal!

Here's a quick, crappy, story.

It was my sophomore elk hunt in the Colorado Rockies and it was snowing.
If memory serves, it was the 3rd rifle season, well after the rut. I wasn't expecting much action, as it was snowing, but it was opening day and we were heading up to the Spot come hell or high water. There was about a foot of fluffy snow already fallen and the going was slow for the four of us. My young pal was way out ahead with me and the older fellas sucking air well behind. Even though I lived out there at the time, the altitude was still just killing me.

So, of course, about halfway up to where we sort of set up a little camp, build a fire and such, ya know, I am struck by the "call of nature" in a way that couldn't be denied. So. like an idiot, I quietly slip off the path behind the rest of the group to take care of business. Like any good rookie elk hunter, my pack frame was loaded with about 1000 pounds of worthless garbage, or at least that's what it felt like as I struggled to get free of it in the midst of the swirling snow. About nine or so pounds of Ruger 30-06 wasn't making the maneuver any more graceful.

Now, I don't know if you've ever tried a #2 in a foot of snow, but let me tell you, you can't just squat down. I tried. You have to dig out a little hole. I did my best to make short work of it, now where did I put that TP? Oh yeah, I freaking forgot to pack that. No problem, I'll just cut off a section of my bandanna with my trusty Benchmade Outbounder (long discoed, 440C!). Whew, what a humbling ordeal! Hated to do it to one of my favorite orange bandannas but I simply had no choice and I have that bandanna remnant to this very day.

Now I'll just catch up to the fellas real quick. Oh dang, I'm totally turned around and everything looks the same. I was pretty freaked out, I don't mind tellin' ya! I gave a couple fairly manly "hollers". You know, " Hey there guys!" that type of thing. These calls were swallowed up in the snow and early morning dimness like I was whispering into a pillow. Even though I knew I shouldn't panic, I did anyway, for at least a few minutes. Not my proudest moment, but hey. :) I had visions of my impending funeral, who would come and who wouldn't. Felt sorry that I would be letting my parents down by freezing to death in the mountains, when I had been specifically told not to do that.

Anyway, I finally cut my own snowed-in tracks and made it back to the meager trail, where I picked up the party's track. I learned a lot of lessons that day. We barely even glimpsed elk that entire snowy hunt. :(

But that's how it goes, hunters, that's how it goes.

Some great stories, I appreciate each one a great deal!

Here's a quick, crappy, story.

It was my sophomore elk hunt in the Colorado Rockies and it was snowing.
If memory serves, it was the 3rd rifle season, well after the rut. I wasn't expecting much action, as it was snowing, but it was opening day and we were heading up to the Spot come hell or high water. There was about a foot of fluffy snow already fallen and the going was slow for the four of us. My young pal was way out ahead with me and the older fellas sucking air well behind. Even though I lived out there at the time, the altitude was still just killing me.

So, of course, about halfway up to where we sort of set up a little camp, build a fire and such, ya know, I am struck by the "call of nature" in a way that couldn't be denied. So. like an idiot, I quietly slip off the path behind the rest of the group to take care of business. Like any good rookie elk hunter, my pack frame was loaded with about 1000 pounds of worthless garbage, or at least that's what it felt like as I struggled to get free of it in the midst of the swirling snow. About nine or so pounds of Ruger 30-06 wasn't making the maneuver any more graceful.

Now, I don't know if you've ever tried a #2 in a foot of snow, but let me tell you, you can't just squat down. I tried. You have to dig out a little hole. I did my best to make short work of it, now where did I put that TP? Oh yeah, I freaking forgot to pack that. No problem, I'll just cut off a section of my bandanna with my trusty Benchmade Outbounder (long discoed, 440C!). Whew, what a humbling ordeal! Hated to do it to one of my favorite orange bandannas but I simply had no choice and I have that bandanna remnant to this very day.

Now I'll just catch up to the fellas real quick. Oh dang, I'm totally turned around and everything looks the same. I was pretty freaked out, I don't mind tellin' ya! I gave a couple fairly manly "hollers". You know, " Hey there guys!" that type of thing. These calls were swallowed up in the snow and early morning dimness like I was whispering into a pillow. Even though I knew I shouldn't panic, I did anyway, for at least a few minutes. Not my proudest moment, but hey. :) I had visions of my impending funeral, who would come and who wouldn't. Felt sorry that I would be letting my parents down by freezing to death in the mountains, when I had been specifically told not to do that.

Anyway, I finally cut my own snowed-in tracks and made it back to the meager trail, where I picked up the party's track. I learned a lot of lessons that day. We barely even glimpsed elk that entire snowy hunt. :(

But that's how it goes, hunters, that's how it goes.

LOL, I had a similar story but decided not to share it, lets just say, there was some undergrowth, and a nature call, and when done, I spied some movement off a ways. Yeah, it was a guy in a ghillie suit who probably saw the whole thing...walk of shame followed...

Another quick memory, I was exploring a new piece of woods, and had hiked in a ways down a long valley, crossed a little creek and went up the other side. Getting towards the top I was winded, and leaned against a low branch of a tree to catch my breath. After a few moments I started looking around, and there, about four feet away was the biggest paper wasp nest I had ever seen, it was the size of a medicine ball! I remember staring at the hole in the bottom hoping for no movement. It was a cool fall day so things were quiet, but I was really freaked out looking at that thing wondering how many angry stingers were in that abode, I made a very quiet and cautious retreat from that location. To this day it was the biggest nest I have ever seen...

Ever since I was a young boy and my Dad started taking me hunting I have loved it and still do 57 years later. In the summer of 1976 I was a 20 year old Second Lieutenant, a graduate of OCS, when I reported to the Ordnance Center and School in Aberdeen MD for the Ordnance Officers Basic Course. APG was a paradise for hunting and fishing, situated on a peninsula in the northern stretches of the Chesapeake Bay and closed to the public in the hunting areas (which were also the impact areas). About as soon as I got to APG I started discovering what other 2LT's were hunters, by the time hunting season arrived I had made several hunting buddies. One day my hunting buddy, fellow 2LT Ron Jones, informed me we had been drawn for the pheasant hunting area near the Army Airfield – a most productive area to hunt the birds. We planned our hunt for the only weekday we had off during our entire four month long Ordnance Officer Basic Course – what luck to have drawn a great area during that week! On Monday we were informed during class that a Major General from Army Material Command in DC was coming to address us the afternoon of our day off – crap, what luck! Ron and I talked it over and decided we would never be missed in the lecture hall; we had a terrific time hunting that day. Luckily I had bought a brand new set of Redhead canvas outer wear that fall at the APG Rod & Gun Club, the hunting area was thick with brier bushes that we had to bust through. Without a pointing or flushing dog we had to run to get the birds up – the birds preferred to run the ground under the thickets. You very nearly had to step on one to get it to fly up through that mess. Finally a big Cock cackled his way up through the briers and flew right above me. I knocked him down with one shot from my new 12 gauge Winchester Super-X Model 1, the first in my life new shotgun – recently bought on my Lieutenants pay. After the hunt Ron and I headed back to the Rod & Gun Club to report our kills and to celebrate our first pheasant – everyone in the club remarked about how big and nice our birds were, the best any of them had seen that season (those old NCO’s really had a good time coaching and messing with us) – I seem to remember we hoisted a few in the birds honor. Next morning when I reported to class I had a message on my desk to report to Major MacDonald, the Student Officer Company Commander, in his office - uh oh. I reported to the Major and he cut right to the chase – where the hell were you yesterday LT Baker? I was standing at attention in front of his desk and barked, ‘pheasant hunting adjacent to the post airfield, sir!’ And where were you supposed to be? Listening to the General, sir! He royally chewed my ass, then informed me that he knew where I was but he wanted to see what my answer would be – he also stated that if I had lied to him, my sorry ass would have been kicked to the curb in dramatic fashion. He dismissed me and I posted out, when my hand hit the door he asked if I got a bird - I enthusiastically began describing my shot, when he interrupted with a ‘get the hell out of here now!’ I survived 29 more years in the Army and ARNG after that event, but will never forget my first pheasant hunt or my visit with Major MacDonald. OH

Ps This is the only picture that I have from APG MD. Ron is the fellow seated lowest in the group, on the tire rim, and I am the far right guy, standing on and braced against the trailer. I wish I had a hunting picture or two from that fall, the deer hunting was fantastic as was the pheasant and squirrel.

APG-MD-Fall-1976.jpg

Last edited:
Great giveaway!

The Schrade Fire and Ice trappers have a special place in my heart!

They are rhe first GEC made knives I purchased.

I bought a brown 23 and 73 for my self.

I have a desire to have my two sons inherit k oves from their grandfathers.

I purchased a red and a brown 73 that I bought specifically to give to my sons. Rather than give them directly, I gave one to my dad to pass to one son, I gave another to my wife's father to give to tbe other son. Each grandpa (my dad and my wife's father) had been given several knives to pass on to my sons.

That red 23 would make a pair with the red 73 for one of my sons.

Your idea to share hunting memories is a great idea for a thread.

My father grew up on a farm in Central Washington. Hunting, fishing, farming and logging, riding motorcycles, etc.

Dad tried to pass on to his two sons his love for the outdoors.

My fondest memories growing up were times spent with my father hunting.

One hunt, in particular stands out. Hunting elk in the Washington mountains. We went hunting in the mountains above Ellensburg, Wa.

It was not a successful hunt. But it was some the best time I've ever spent with my dad.

The hunt started out poorly. In a time pre cell phones, we broke down on a back road. A less traveled route. In an old 1974 Toyota FJ 40. We pointed the rig back down the mountain and coasted to a spot with two homes. Lusome one was home. We called a friend who was headed up to the same mountain cabin later that day. He towed us into town and we just happened to catch the local shop owner who specialized in old Toyotas roght before he headed up the mountain to hunt as well. Quick fix, and the rig was running again.

We made it up the mountain, and right before getting to the cabin, more engine trouble. We tore rhe carburetor apart and realized that in the rush to get the rig fixed, the shop had forgotten a gasket in the fix.

We brainstormed and cut a plastic hot chocolate lid to match, and it worked! Hunt back on.

We were up at 3 am and ready to hunt the next morning. Up the mountain we went.

We came across a large hunting camp we nick named the "V8 club". Lots of very high end rigs, huge loud v8 builds. We would see rhem every year. They spent a lot of money on gear....only the best gear, from rigs, to guns.....they also spent a lot of money every year on beer and booze. As we got closer, we noticed the camp was torn up. Tables turned over, beer coolers open and beer and ice scattered all over. Tents torn down. A disaster area. We pulled in to see if they needed help.... only one hunter was out....standing in his long John's....bleary eyed. One sock off holding a huntint rifle. He came over to us laughing to him self. Said we had just missed a stampeed of elk. Whole herd tore through camp, pulling up tent strings and knocking everything down. Not single hunter up to shoot one. They were all still drunk/hungover from the night before.

We left there and went further up the mountain in the dark.

We had another hunter with us. A farm hand who worked for the owner the cabin. He wanted to go to the samw area we were planning to hunt. The FJ40 motor was running fine, but low and behold, another problem. A wire somewhere shorted and we smelled burning. We had to turn off the lights and drive in the treacherous mointain trails with no headlights. We were about to the area where we were going to hoof it the rest of the way up. The farm hand said "stop! I see elk". We loaded out as quietly as possible. He had his rifle shouldered and had an elk in his scope. We whispered it was not quite light enough to see what he would be shooting at. He was certain his huge bull, a once in a life time bull would get away.

We convinced him to wait a few minutes for more light. The animals were not moving, they were staying put. When the first rays of fhe sun hit the meadow, it was a beautiful sight. Green lush meadow, covered in dew..a bubbling spring wirh crystal clear water, just gorgeous. I'll never forget that sight. Farm hand put his rifle down.....after we saw the monstrous, fat happy cows...nibbling the greens. He had nearly shot some ones bovine! We had a good chuckle.

We parted ways, and went our own direction. Through out the morning we were seeing elk sign. Fresh tracks over the top of our own boot tracks.

The elk in that area are wiley. Elk tracks over the top of our own boot marks happened multiple times as we hunted that morning.

We knew where the elk were headed, and we set up at the high end of a wide meadow clearing so we would have a clear shot when the elk finally got to where we were sure they were going. We sat down at the edge of a dead fall with our backs to the trunk. We talked in a whisper, up in the high mountain. Crisp morning air, the sun just starting to burn off the fall morning dew, making a light fog rise in the meadow below us. We waited. In a half doze..... listening and letting the sounds and smells wash over me.

After some time, we heard the elk headed our way. A herd. Likely the same one that tore up the V8 club's camp site earlier.

We could see the branches and small trees shaking at their approach.

They parted arround the meadow and stayed just out of eyesight and never presented a shot. The thundered past us on either side and launched off what seemed like an impossibly steep canyon behind us.

We got up and got to the edge of the canyon and watched them rush towards the bottom of the the canyon. Where the public hinting land ended, and a no huntint zone started.

We had a good laugh, and sat back down to watch the meadow and eat our lunch. Later we climbed down into the dark forest at the bottom of the canyon. We made a pact that unless we saw a once in a life time bull, we were not going to shoot one...because just climbing down took all the pep out of us. The climb back up nearly killed us.

We spent the weekend walking, sitting, chatting and just being present. Together. No "success" but even wirh all the car issues, and getting skunked, and it was the best time!

I carried an 1891 Argentine Mauser (copy of a Sweedish Mauser my dad hunted with as a boy). No scope. As tall as me. Heavy, iron sited beast. He long regretted selling it when he was younger, starting his family.

He found the Argentine Mauser (copy of his gun), and bought it for nostalgia.

As a young boy, I rode my BMX bike down to the pawn shop to buy a box of bullets for that gun to surprise my dad! I was about 8 or 9. The gun store clerk said he could not sell them to me, as I was just a little kid. I was pretty crestfallen. Another old gentleman was looking at guns and saw rhe exchange. The old man came over and asked the clerk for a box of bullets for that "what did you call it, a Sweedish Mauser? Ya. I just remembered I needed a box...forgot all about that old rifle". He bought the bullets and walked out of the store. The clerk smiled, knowing what he was doing. Needless to say, I left the parking lot with that box of ammo and the old man chuckled as he put my money in his pocket.

I still have that Argentinean Mauser that I hunted with all those years ago.

My own boys are getting to the age where it is time to take them hunting. I'm not pushing them, but I hope to give them the same happy memories I have.

Here is that same rifle. Your thread encouraged me to get it out and hold it. Great. Memories. The k ife is a hunter made by my deceased uncle Glen Hornby. I hought it wirh lawn mowing money as a kid, at one of our family reunions when I was 12.

Argentine 1891 7.65×53mm Mauser
gGvTLMh.jpg

Last edited:
Back