A GAW-For Tomorrow, We Hunt! Winner selected!

Let me say right away that all these stories have been fantastic, and I fully intend to keep this thread alive so we can continue to share our hunting experiences here. :thumbsup: I have a story about an old Buck Special (model 119, I think?) that I want to get recorded.

But, I said I would get a winner picked today and I did. I wrote all the user-names down on individual slips of paper and had my mom draw. That was as fair as I could make it (and I know there will be skeptics :)) and she drew Rockon75 Rockon75 !

Congratulations Josh! :thumbsup:

It has occurred to me that Josh might decline, and I had Mom pick a runner up as well, if needed.

BF members, I can't really accept a gift that I helped get together. I helped K Kiteman72 with a clean up and sharpening. I participated and will continue to do so, as this topic really is fun to participate in. I will defer to the runner up! Congrats to whomever that may be. May you all have a safe and enjoyable time as you take to the woods this year.

Ok, I thought Josh might defer, but in the spirit of total transparency, he was the first name Mom drew. :) Don't worry everyone, I will make sure Josh gets a little gravy!

That means Old Hunter Old Hunter will need to PM me his mailing address because he is the Winnah!

Now, if he defers, I'll have to have Mom draw again tomorrow.

ETA: A HUGE Thank You to all the participants! This was my first GAW on BF and, I think, the first thread I have ever started, haha. I will have another drawing, I think at least, sometime later in the Hunting Seasons, after the Big Ones are mostly over.

Last edited:
Gents, just read this post and I want to say a big thank-you to Taylor for his GAW. That said, I entered just to tell my hunting story (as you can guess from my handle here on Blade Forum, I love to hunt!). In fact I love everything to do with hunting. Now I probably own over a hundred hunting knives and have been giving knives away to youngster who come hunt with our club. I would like for Taylor to pick another name - I already own one of the wonderful Schrade/GEC Fire & Ice large Trappers and ten years after buying it still haven’t gotten around to using it! This gift of Taylors is a fantastic knife and I would like someone to own it who hasn’t had the chance to enjoy one yet. I have already been thinking about writing up a bear hunting trip from 25 or so years ago when me and the bear had an altercation - good story! Thanks again for a fantastic GAW. OH

So many nice, generous folks here on the Porch! :)

Thank you, Bruce, for your great contributions, I can't wait to hear that bear story!

So, let's open this back up for the night and I'll get Mom to pick another winner in the morning!

So 2012 was my big hunting year, so far. My first big Colorado elk hunt, and it was a amazing experience and tremendous success. A rousing tale, in its own right. It was my buddy Keegan and his father and uncle and me. The same characters from the story where I have to poop in the snow. Sweet memories.

But this tiny tale is about Dwight's Buck knife.
I noticed it right away, it's handle swaddled in copious amounts of duct tape, but a Buck Special nonetheless. I asked Keegan earlier today for some backstory on this blade, and he told me that the handle was broken on the very first use. Back in the 90s sometime, being pounded thru a breastbone or somesuch, fixed with the tape and used faithfully ever since.
By the end of that first hunt together, I had decided that I owed Dwight a nicer knife. Yadda yadda yadda, and I get a nice new Buck Special with the fancy wooden handle delivered to him down in Texas a couple of weeks after the hunt.

Fast forward to 2015. The old Buck has been passed down to one of Keegan's brothers and Dwight is, as has been usual since 2013, carrying his new Buck that I got him. Now Dwight has been fighting a bum ankle for a while and has taken to using a mountain bike to get around a bit better in the high country. Because I am lazy, I was hanging back with him and keeping him company and such and just having the best hunt, you know? He's got an old Savage 99 in 300 Savage and iron sights, just a great rifle. Anyway, we get back to the cabin at the end of the first day and Dwight starts fixing chow. He reaches down to check or grab his knife or whatever and it is gone. Gone baby gone.

So the hunt is on. Check the truck, but it's already gathering dark outside so we can't do much and I can tell that it is bothering Dwight a lot that he had lost that Buck. Now, I felt like the chances were pretty good that we could find it, but we went ahead and we all said a prayer that we could have a little help to find that knife.

The next morning, I wasn't hunting elk, I was hunting that knife. I don't know how long it took exactly but it was before lunch and I saw something glistening on the trail. You gotta be freakin' kiddin' me. Only I didn't say freakin'...

There it was. Just laying there waiting for me to find it. So like a complete dick I grabbed it up and hid it until Dwight was coming along on his bike. There I was, just sitting like a lazy ass (Dwight hates a lazy ass).

What are you doin'? Oh, just sitting here trying to figure out who dropped this sweet looking knife! :D

No elk for me that year, but a successful hunt nevertheless!

It was kind of difficult for me and my dear and patient mother to do this drawing over the phone this morning, but I wanted to get it done!

I'll spare you all the process but the winner by drawing is Bigfattyt Bigfattyt ! Congratulations! Should our winner decline, again a runner up has been selected just in case.

Do not despair, keep following the thread! I will be doing other GAW type stuff and if you have posted already, you are already IN! :)

Bigfattyt Bigfattyt , PM me your mailing info please! :thumbsup:

Thanks again all! I should be able to get the prize out in the mail today. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of my next story to post, but the only one that springs to mind is the one where I had to shoot a raccoon a bunch of times, and that is pretty much the punchline right there.

So I better defer to other, better storytellers...:D

Thanks again all! I should be able to get the prize out in the mail today. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of my next story to post, but the only one that springs to mind is the one where I had to shoot a raccoon a bunch of times, and that is pretty much the punchline right there.

So I better defer to other, better storytellers...:D
That reminds me of a deer hunt that involved a poor racoon. Ill get that one up before too long.

Back