(Closed) A GAW / Tribute to our friend. Bob - BigBiscuit *Winners added see Post #143*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a GAW / Tribute for our good friend Bob Bendell, aka “BigBiscuit”. Duncan - Campbellclanman, Paul – paulhilborn, and I, Ron – Half/Stop, have been talking about this for several weeks. We decided that this was a great time to start this.

Bob, as most of the regulars in the Traditional Folders and Fixed Blade section of BladeForums already know, is fighting a battle with cancer. He has been a great friend to all of the members in this community. He has been a personal friend to Duncan, Paul and I, with many texts, PM’s and phone conversations being exchanged over the last couple of years. This is why we decided to sponsor this GAW.

The rules are simple for this GAW:
1. You must have at least 50 posts in Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades before this OP.
2. You must state “I am in” in one of your posts. Please no “Not an Entry” type posts. This is a tribute to Bob, as well as a GAW.
3. Each member can have one “I am in” entry. However feel free to post your pictures and comments as often as you like.
4. You can post a picture of a knife that you got from Bob.
5. You can post a story of some experience or interaction you have had with Bob.
6. You can simply post “Well Wishes” or anything you want to tell Bob.
7. This GAW will run until 12:00 PM on Saturday 9/17/16. At this time 3 winners from all the posts containing an entry will be picked using a Random Number generator. Duncan, Paul and I have donated 3 beautiful knives for the prizes in this GAW. Of course we have excluded ourselves from this GAW, but you will see plenty of posts and comments from us three for sure.
8. The winners will have their choice in order of draw, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd from one of the three prizes shown below.
9. The best prize of all is “BigBiscuit” and his friendship to all of us here on “The Porch”!!!

Just as a note, some of you have probably noticed that the three of us along with others have been selling some knives on the exchange and donating the proceeds to Bob.

These are the prizes, listed in no particular order, because the winners will chose the order.

Good Luck to everyone! God Bless you Bob!

From Paul we have a beautiful 735109 BCL. Nice Stag on this one, just a beautiful knife.

28178149703_5416d8fc38.jpg

28716023131_c1d8d5812c.jpg

28716022721_cd309cae4f.jpg

28716022231_a09b792ec7.jpg

From Duncan we have a classic. This is a 2015 2 blade TC Barlow. The pictures speak for themselves.

28547362840_abe7c228e7_b.jpg

28726648552_e6b1611036_b.jpg

28547360200_1b33dc2c1e_b.jpg

From me is another of Charlie’s classics, this one is a 2015 Washington Jack, in Smooth Ivory Bone.

28208690223_b6964cab7d_b.jpg

28205783714_ce8c7ec379_b.jpg

28208687343_246b11a0e6_b.jpg

Last edited:
What a great tribute to Bob. Bob, my best to you and your family during this time. I am in, Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm in. I tend to lurk more than post here on BF, but I spend almost all of my time here on the porch. Bob is such a wealth of knowledge 'round here, and such a generous collector that this GAW is very fitting.

Bob, I hope the coming days/weeks/months find you happy, with friends and family at your side. This is your life to live, so have a blast! You've certainly made your mark on this place, I can only imagine what you've done for those close to you in the real world. Like Woody Guthrie used to say, "Take it easy, but take it."

Cheers,
T

It seems like every time Bob posts a picture of a knife, it has had some kind of tweak done to it. Sometimes it's nothing major, other times it's a reprofiled blade. Seeing him make his knives his own has made me want to make some of my knives, my own. I give a lot of credit to Bob as my inspiration to start tinkering with my knives. This Opinel 8 has a forced patina, reprofiled handle, stain, and lanyard, and the Mini Trapper (bought from Paul as a fund raiser for Bob) received an 18 hour tea/coffee/wine dye job. Thank you, Bob, for opening that door.

Thank you to Paul, Ron, and Duncan for all that y'all have done for Bob. I'm in.

All the best.

TbYkoA6.jpg

I am in! Bob is such a kind fellow on the porch, and I think of him as one of the guys who really made this a great place.

I'm in--smoke and prayers incoming. I can't help but look at all the wonderful traditional pics... And I knew the posts headed by the avatar with the cute, smiling baby face were ones worth reading. Thanks Bob for making this a great place... You have high praise from those who know you--what better testament to the man you are than that!

My best--Anthony

Pic:
neff9c.jpg

I am in.
If there's a more knowledgeable and friendly Traditional regular... Peace and strength to you and your family, Bob.

I first took noticed of Big Biscuit on Blade Forums on a day when he was engaged with an individual who was asking for someone to justify the cost of a certain makers knives. Bob's response was that until one of these knives was tried a person may not be able to determine their true value. The gentleman wrote if Bob would give him the money he would try one. Bob said he would if he could and that he would like for the man to PM Bob, his address. Some bantering continued which may have caused another person to give up, but not Bob. He wrote I'm trying to give you a knife but you're making it quite difficult. The tone of the conversation changed immediately. Bob sent a very nice knife, the man wrote through this forum how please he was and I sent Bob a friend request. That day Bob showed himself to be a good ambassador for the Forum as well as a certain knife company and in general just an all round great guy. Since that day Bob has shown me that he is a generous, caring, patience and talented individual who I'm proud to say accepted my friend request.
Bob, thanks for being who you are, our prayers continue for you and yours. -James-

I'm in thanks for your generous GAW

Last edited:
I am in. In my short time here on the porch I have learned a lot from you Bob, and greatly value your contributions. My thoughts are with you and your family. Gain strength from those who love you.

I am in.

Thank you for your generosity, guys. You embrace not only what this place is about, but also what Bob is about.

Bob, stay strong, my friend. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Ron, Duncan, Paul,
" I am in ", Your G.A.W. is a very nice tribute to Bob.
All four of You make the traditional forums fun, informative and interesting.
Your friendship is uplifting and an inspiration to do good for others.

Bob,
You make a lot of members happy on the porch, I hope that it is passed around to You.
You and Your Family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm in...and Bob well wishes on your journey. May you find peace and understanding.
Thanks, Neal

I am in.

In my earlier days on bladeforums, I mainly joined to find out what the google pictures were that later turned out to be 2dead or Trand's half moon trappers. I would later log out and lose track of my account well into 2013/2014 when I graduated college and found a job. I didnt have much spare money for knives until that job came and when I did have a job I was in a traditionals buying frenzy! However it was very niche, I was focused on single blade trappers, with end caps. I was very hard headed, unwilling to look at other knives because no end caps means what if you drop it, youll chip or break something. Here's where Bob comes in. I was on the barlows thread and still discussing my hesitation with trying something like that without end caps. (2dead would tell me about shadows at the same time, and definitely thought no, end caps man! In fact i still want a knife with full steel scales, bolster and everything, Will Howard said no tho lol, GEC will not be making something like that.) Bob offers to let go one of his 77s so that I can try a barehead knife. And here it is The thing with GEC knives is, if you missed the release, you are gonna pay a premium if you want it. And if you want it bad enough, youll pay, but Bob saved me that on the 77. Also helped me with accepting a new pattern of traditional knives. The barlow. Always learning things from Bob, be it about knives, or modification, anything really, hes got a lot to share. I am always grateful for what he shares with everyone here. Thank you Bob. Thank you Duncan, Paul and Ron for hosting this generous GAW!

This is a crazy good GAW if ever there was one,

I'm In :)

and Bob, well wishes of course and enjoy all your friends here on the porch!

a friend Raj sent this to me and this thread made me think of that, a short tale of a lone cowboy and his horse and dog;

An old cowboy was riding his trusty horse followed by his faithful dog along an unfamiliar road.
The cowboy was enjoying the new scenery, when he suddenly remembered dying, and realized the dog beside him had been dead for years, as had his horse.
Confused, he wondered what was happening, and where the trail was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall that looked like fine marble.
At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch topped by a golden letter "H" that glowed in the sunlight.
Standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like gold.

He rode toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. Parched and tired out by his journey, he called out;

'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.

'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.

'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'

As the gate began to open, the cowboy asked;

'Can I bring my partners, too?'

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The cowboy thought for a moment, then turned back to the road and continued riding, his dog trotting by his side.

After another long ride, at the top of another hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a ranch gate that looked as if it had never been closed.
As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

'Excuse me,' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'

'Sure, there's a pump right over there. Help yourself.'

'How about my friends here?' the traveler gestured to the dog and his horse.

'Of course! They look thirsty, too,' said the man.

The trio went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with buckets beside it.
The traveler filled a cup and the buckets with wonderfully cool water and took a long drink, as did his horse and dog.

When they were full, he walked back to the man who was still standing by the tree;

'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'That's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the glitzy, gold street and fake pearly gates? That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you angry when they use your name like that?'

'Not at all. Actually, we're happy they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind...

From all your friends on the porch, stay strong Bob !
G2

Count me in.

I bought this #25 from Bob back around Christmas. He added the EO notch (looks like it could be factory) and the forced patina. I was very impressed with the knife when I got it, and I asked Bob about his forced patina process, which he kindly shared it with me. I've since used it on several of my own knives. In that exchange, as well as all the others I've had with Bob here on the forum, he's always been kind and helpful. Definitely one of the good guys around here!

DCAE1F04-D856-441E-B90E-FAB25C0304DD_1.jpg

Bob has always impressed me with his ability to think of others. In all honesty the gentlemen holding this GAW (Ron, Paul, and Duncan) are cut from the same cloth. As I have stories of each of these guys Bob took the cake in his gift to help raise funds for St. Jude.

I don't remember how long ago it was, but I remember Bob doing a GAW to raise funds for cancer patients. Gunstockjack jumped in and really got it going with the fund raising and a, Eric's Jack Alternate forum knife. I was so impressed in Bob and his act to raise funds for others. His character was addictive and I just had to contribute.

Almost a year later I myself was raising funds for St. Jude. Bob in his selflessness donated a beauty of a 73.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...NERS-POSTED!!!-See-Post-47-THANK-YOU-EVERYONE!!!

Lol, I tried my hardest for him to keep the knife. He wouldn't have it. He insisted that I allow him to help and in my opinion it was one of the most beauty knives listed up for grabs. I hated to see that one go. Im not sure where it is now, but I hope the person who has it knows the story attached to it and appreciates Bob's gesture.

Bob, I believe, though not sure, is human. He battles his own ups and downs, his own struggles and life. Bob amazes me in his ability to think of others. His humor and his resilience is legend and I am thankful for the influence he has had in this forum and on myself.

Only due to rule 2 am I entering and if I win I will be honored to use the heck out it.

I am in.

Bob, you're a large reason that I even tried a traditional knife.
I came to BF looking for info on Spyderco bit over the years seeing more and more interesting knives pop up in the new posts got my attention. The attitude, friendliness and dedication to these knives set my interest. You were a great part of that.

I wish you the best and hope that you live to the fullest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back