(Closed) A GAW / Tribute to our friend. Bob - BigBiscuit *Winners added see Post #143*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are unbelievably too kind. I couldn't ask for better friends than right here on the porch. You made me cry a bit though. Tears of joy.
Thank you all. Special thanks and love to my buds Ron, Duncan, and Paul.

...He wrote I'm trying to give you a knife but you're making it quite difficult. The tone of the conversation changed immediately.... -James-

Lol, I remember that post. One of the greatest post in BF history in my opinion. :D. You're right James, the tone shifted so fast, but I remember thinking, just after he posted it, how silent the thread was and how the gentleman must have just went blank in surprise. Thank you for bringing that one to memory. :thumbup:

I'm in.

Thanks for doing the giveaway.

To Bob, well wishes to you, and your family.

And because everyone likes pictures....

Last edited:
I'm in , thank you for a worthy and kind GAW.

I admire Bob's altruism, courage and I like his humour (without that we are flat 2 dimensional people!)

Think it would be nice to include a pic. I'm keen on the 15 pattern and I believe Bob is an enthusiast too. I raise my glass to Bob and his friends who have put this GAW together :thumbup:

IMG_4134.jpg

Many thanks, Will

I'm in for this one.

Bob inquired about purchasing a swayback jack a while ago and after some communication he decided he didn't have the funds. I tried to then gift him the knife and even after much insistence on my part he refused. Gave me the impression of a pretty humble guy.

Of course best wishes to Bob and his family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Bob, you epitomize what I think "the porch" is all about. Kind, generous and welcoming. It seems that anyone that has spent any time at all here has been welcomed by the Big Biscuit. :) Thanks guys for the awesome Gaw. I am in.

I'm in for this one.

Bob inquired about purchasing a swayback jack a while ago and after some communication he decided he didn't have the funds. I tried to then gift him the knife and even after much insistence on my part he refused. Gave me the impression of a pretty humble guy.

Of course best wishes to Bob and his family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

some times you just have to work around that, and ask Paul for his address :D all in good fun of course

Wow. I'm in. What a generous tribute to a man that has become a legend of wisdom and generosity on this forum. I wish I had the pleasure to purchase knives from Bob. It seems that every picture and post just makes me enjoy the history and beauty of the traditional scene even more. Thank you.

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

This Northfield Dog Leg #56 BE Jack with these beautiful Green Jigged Bone Covers was my official introduction to the GENEROSITY of Mr. Bob Bendell, aka BigBiscuit. I was a relative newcomer to the Traditional forum when I saw this beautiful knife posted up for the Saint Patrick’s Day photo thread. Needless to say I had a bad case of Jaw Drop. I had seen a lot of knives posted by Bob and he always was posting some terrific knives. I decided to PM Bob and offer him a trade for his Green Northfield. Now it might not have been a fair trade offer but I told Bob I would gladly send him his pick of 3 NIB Case Chestnut CV Swayback Jacks. He respectively declined my offer. Hey, I really didn’t blame him, but I thought it was worth a try. A short time later, maybe a week, I got this PM from Bob asking for my mailing address. He said that he had a surprise to send me. I specifically remember tell me “It ain’t green either!” I told Bob that he had already given me a gift, being his FRIENDSHIP. But, I love surprises so I sent him my address and began the wait for my very 1st BladeForums surprise gift.

Several days later a package arrived from BigBiscuit. I got the mail out of the box after work and went in to open it up. This is where I became introduced to another trait that our friend Bob is very good at, SHENANAGENS! Because inside that package was something that was definitely Green! You have guessed by now what that was.

God Bless you my friend. As you all will notice I have 3 of Bob’s many wonderful qualities in all CAPS. Here is the Green Northfield.

20195785225_61a73b2ae8_b.jpg

I am in. You guys are amazing. My hat is off to you today and everyday not only for your generosity but because you all have huge hearts, role models among men.

Like many here Bob is a big reason I stayed on the porch, a big reason why I now own so many knives, and have such a wonderful hobby and passion. He has always answered my questions, offered advice, and provided help..and never once made me feel like a bother :D thank you Bob. You are so strong my friend, even if you may feel weak, you are strong.

These three knives are special to me in different ways but all because of Bob. The beautiful yellow spey TC I bought from him, I know it hurt him to have to sell it, but it will always be cherished and have a place of honor in my collection. The Old Timer was a gift he put a lot of thought and effort into. I can't quite describe how special it is. And the 77 he graciously added the EO notch despite the turmoil going on in his own life.

Much love my friend!

20160820_123809_zps2pmjpmpm.jpg

Last edited:
Very Nice Ron^ And Thank you guys for the great response to Rons original Post.

Paul matey, Ron.... Thank you both for the last few weeks in with our communicating to try and get something done for Bob - you guys are both wonderful people - you really are.

Ron, Paul and myself have very recently sold knives on the Traditionals for sale for Bob - and its been such a pleasure to be able to contribute to Bob, of which I will continue, so keep an eye out folks.

Paul that knife you have offered is simply Sunning Stag! Oh man - you are such a great Traditionalist in every way.

Ron, I remember when I first read Charlies Label on the back of the Washington Jack, and he describes it as " one of the worlds most beautiful Pocket Knives", and my friend Charlie slammed the nail on the head with that decription, The Washington Jack is one of my ALL TIME loved knives, I dont say it much, but my goodness I feel it when I hold that knife. THANK YOU for such a wonderful gift for someone to help us in awareness to our friend Bob.

Ron, - now people Ron has been close to Bob for some time now, Ron Thank you so much for heading this Give-away, I am so so proud to stand next to such fine Gentleman like yourself AND Paul.

Bob, I want you to know that I too - like obviously MANY others think you are such a great guy, my journey through life has at times been a bit bumpy I can tell you! lol - but I look at my life and my wonderful people in my life, and I realise that this is my reward for hanging on - MANY people here are a part of that reward -you being part of this Bob.
Today my friend I hope that you are feeling strong - please give that awesome Grandson of yours a big hug - let him know that he has a contact in this part of the world.

Ok...i am going to have a rummage through to see what I can list up next..
Have a great day everyone

I'm in , on that note bob has always been kind and is a true knife lover. This porch wouldn't be the same with out his post . Bob you are in my families prayers and well wishes

Ron , Paul , and Duncan : That you guys for such a great GAW . I am in !!
Bob has set a great example for all of us to live up to.

Harry

There's no hiding it Bob, I love you buddy. From your first post all you've exhibited was class, kindness and positive, sincerity:thumbup::thumbup:

We've only spoken a couple of times by phone and mostly by PM. The conversation was never odd or awkward, it was always easy. Aside from our passion for knives we share a connection with our NFL team the Patriots. In fact Bob kept me in the loop on the last pre-season game via texts as it wasn't broadcast locally.

If memory serves our first communication consisted of knife modifications as we feel there's a very natural need for the ez open notch:p they seemed so natural on 15's, 85's and #77's I mean why would they leave the factory without them:D

Bob and I have sold knives and bought from each other...the three below are treasured knives not only for what they are but who they came from and will never be sold or traded. If the occasion is worthy of gifting then that's a given when the deserving person comes along, I believe Bob and I share that sentiment:thumbup:

These are three that I truly treasure that I bought from Bob. The #68 Bob had rehandled in ebony from Glenn, the HJ reflects Bob's skill in a wonderful patina which I've added to since acquiring it. Bob reground the Workhorse main blade (in addition to a patina) to more of a vintage Remington blade shape.

Thanks Bob, all three are in my favorite category and I'm honored to own them.

gs35H6.jpg

LvOvpD.jpg

Ron and Duncan, you guys are such terrific forum members and are the same caliber as Bob:thumbup: I'm proud to know all of you as I'm so proud to know all who frequent the porch. People such a Charlie, Sarah, Lyle, Jeff's, James, Bob's, Mark's, Gev, Erik's/Eric's, Shawn/Shaun's, Rachael, Jennifer, Drew, Ryan, Darien, John/Jon's, Randy, Jake, Gary, Albert, Tim, Dean, Harry, Barry, Barrett, Will, Thom, Brett, Rob, Ted, Ed and Jack's and so so many that I unfortunately only know by forum names and not first names, my goal is to change that.

As Duncan, Ron, Albert and myself have done already, I'm going to continue selling knives which I will donate 100% to Bob. So PLEASE keep an eye on the for sale thread as I hope to post in the next day or so.

I can only imagine in addition to the fight Bob has in front of him all the intangibles that must exist so I hope to help with those:thumbup:

Thanks for your friendship Bob, I am lucky for that and have benefited do to it:)

God Bless Bob:thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the generous giveaway, just wanted to say good luck to those who entered you're in my thoughts and prayers Bob, you've given a lot to this forum my friend and your mark will be indelible and long remembered.

Last edited:
I'm in.

I don't have a knife from Bob, and I don't have a knife from a Bob GAW, and I don't have a specific me-and-Bob story. What I do have is the experience of finding this forum a better place to be because of Bob. I have had the experience of getting chances to give in the St. Jude's GAW and in the GAW's to raise funds for and by Bob. Bob's struggle has been an opportunity to feel more connected to this virtual community for me.

Bob helped make this community better. The way that the community has responded to Bob's troubles have made this community better. And the connections that I have felt from this have made Bob's fight with cancer a part of my community life, rather than simply the struggles of a stranger.

I first took noticed of Big Biscuit on Blade Forums on a day when he was engaged with an individual who was asking for someone to justify the cost of a certain makers knives. Bob's response was that until one of these knives was tried a person may not be able to determine their true value. The gentleman wrote if Bob would give him the money he would try one. Bob said he would if he could and that he would like for the man to PM Bob, his address. Some bantering continued which may have caused another person to give up, but not Bob. He wrote I'm trying to give you a knife but you're making it quite difficult. The tone of the conversation changed immediately. Bob sent a very nice knife, the man wrote through this forum how please he was and I sent Bob a friend request. That day Bob showed himself to be a good ambassador for the Forum as well as a certain knife company and in general just an all round great guy. Since that day Bob has shown me that he is a generous, caring, patience and talented individual who I'm proud to say accepted my friend request.
Bob, thanks for being who you are, our prayers continue for you and yours. -James-

I'm in thanks for your generous GAW
I had forgotten all about that one James. He was spouting about Northwoods Knives, so I did end up sending him a Northwoods. He stuck around for a short time, but has disappeared from the forums. He didn't live very far from me either. Oh well. I tried. :D

Lol, I remember that post. One of the greatest post in BF history in my opinion. :D. You're right James, the tone shifted so fast, but I remember thinking, just after he posted it, how silent the thread was and how the gentleman must have just went blank in surprise. Thank you for bringing that one to memory. :thumbup:

Haha I remember that one too Brett. Northwoods Horticulturist IIRC.

I'm in for this one~ Always in my thoughts ol' codger.

Here was the beginning of the story

I met Bob when he offered to EO modify a GEC 56 in ebony I had bought from Esnyx/Evan on 05-07-2015. He noticed I had mentioned I have R.Arthritis and trouble opening knives from such and from his kind heartedness offered to modify mine for me to make it easier to open. The rest is history ;) ...jk

From there we've texted back and forth for the past year and a half, he taught me much about GEC's. I used to tell him I'd never be interested in a TC barlow ;) Oh how I was wrong. He'll always tell me that I'm texting too much and I should shorten my messages into one paragraph to make it easier for him to read. (curse of a millennial's texting habits)

There's a knife I'll never sell, a first production run Indian river Jack in 1095. I had bought the knife from Sketch32, enjoyed it, fondled it and then sold the knife to Bob after he had asked about it a couple times. Come to my surprise some time later the knife appeared in my post box with him telling me it deserved to be with me.

I've learned so much from Bob over the year + (it feels far longer than that) and will continue to learn more from you my friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back