(Closed) A GAW / Tribute to our friend. Bob - BigBiscuit *Winners added see Post #143*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had forgotten all about that one James. He was spouting about Northwoods Knives, so I did end up sending him a Northwoods. He stuck around for a short time, but has disappeared from the forums. He didn't live very far from me either. Oh well. I tried. :D
Bob, just to remind you... after that dialog I wrote to say you handled the situation like a true gentleman. You wrote back that you were just one of many such people in this corner of Blade Forum. That humble statement peaked my interest. I have since found your assessment to be accurate. There are so many wonderful people here who show sincere respect for others while they share a common interest, it seems to be the norm. I for one find it refreshing and hope and pray that it is able to stay that way for a very long time.

Last edited:
redsparrow - thank you for the kind words that you speak today my friend, they are most welcome.

Paul matey- man arent they three treasures from Bob - awesome to see - and a wonderful post mate - a truly wonderful post.

Paul and I talk a lot - it's uncanny just how much on the same level Paul and I are - in so, sot
Quick Reply Quick Reply many ways....mmmm now I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing lol - to be honest, I think it's massively awesome.

Bob I wish you all the best for you and your family. I know you are going through a really hard time.

I am in.

Guys, this is quite generous of you. I am in...

I have always found Bob to be free with his advice, kindness, and generosity. He is a prime example of what a great ambassador of the "porch" is. I am certainly a better person for knowing him.

I have the honor and privilege of being able to work on knives for a lot of you. They are all special to me. Bob sent me some knives to mod last year.

Here they are...

Anyway, thanks for the chance!

I'm in, when I first got into traditionals and before traditionals transformed and humbled my concept of edc, I would always confuse Big Biscuit with Big FattyT until I was able to really feel comfortable around the porch vs a modern fan just sneaking into that other forum to see what the other side of knife fandom were doing. Biscuit of course has always been one of the consummate ambassador's of the porch.

That incluseness always guides me with my edc choices now even in the weekends. I still lovey Spydercos but out in public I just need a little Case slip joint to cut my steak at the in-laws or to pop off the safety seal in my bottle of coffee creamer in the mornings.

It's fun being a part of society vs an outlier and that's what I get out of traditionals more than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is a crazy good GAW if ever there was one,

I'm In :)

and Bob, well wishes of course and enjoy all your friends here on the porch!

a friend Raj sent this to me and this thread made me think of that, a short tale of a lone cowboy and his horse and dog;

An old cowboy was riding his trusty horse followed by his faithful dog along an unfamiliar road.
The cowboy was enjoying the new scenery, when he suddenly remembered dying, and realized the dog beside him had been dead for years, as had his horse.
Confused, he wondered what was happening, and where the trail was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall that looked like fine marble.
At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch topped by a golden letter "H" that glowed in the sunlight.
Standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like gold.

He rode toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. Parched and tired out by his journey, he called out;

'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.

'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.

'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'

As the gate began to open, the cowboy asked;

'Can I bring my partners, too?'

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The cowboy thought for a moment, then turned back to the road and continued riding, his dog trotting by his side.

After another long ride, at the top of another hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a ranch gate that looked as if it had never been closed.
As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

'Excuse me,' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'

'Sure, there's a pump right over there. Help yourself.'

'How about my friends here?' the traveler gestured to the dog and his horse.

'Of course! They look thirsty, too,' said the man.

The trio went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with buckets beside it.
The traveler filled a cup and the buckets with wonderfully cool water and took a long drink, as did his horse and dog.

When they were full, he walked back to the man who was still standing by the tree;

'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'That's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the glitzy, gold street and fake pearly gates? That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you angry when they use your name like that?'

'Not at all. Actually, we're happy they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind...

From all your friends on the porch, stay strong Bob !
G2
Can you quote a post in a GAW? Oh well, I just did. Great joke / story, Gary!

Hi Bob. I just got your PM. I lost your address so please PM me so that I can ship this knife to you as a gift.
Your friend,
Mark

IMG_0052_zpsyj4ubpyl.jpg

This forum and the kindness of people like Bob are the reasons that I have so many new friends and knives:thumbup: Bob, my family and I are sending you prayers from Texas!!

I'm in.

Heres a shot of a spey-to-spear conversion I tried with guidance from BigBiscuit and blackmamba. I dig you dudes.

26053949745_9b532fd5d0_c.jpg

Hi Bob. I just got your PM. I lost your address so please PM me so that I can ship this knife to you as a gift.
Your friend,
Mark

IMG_0052_zpsyj4ubpyl.jpg

What a class act! :thumbup: i always love the tremendous generosity displayed on the porch

Your friend,
Mark

IMG_0052_zpsyj4ubpyl.jpg

Im with Mr Knife- Mark is a WAY COOL kinda guy - heart of Gold - thats awesome Mark - just awesome my friend.

Thanks to everyone for all the photos, stories and well wishes posted for Bob so far. :cool: I am looking forward to many more in the days ahead.:)

Paul and Duncan, I am proud to be standing by your side in this tribute to our friend Bob! You guys are both class individuals. :) I will be back in the exchange for our friend tomorrow with some goodies from Titusville! :thumbup:

Your friend,
Mark

IMG_0052_zpsyj4ubpyl.jpg

Mark - My friend, I can not thank you enough for this awesome gesture for Bob. That is truly a beautiful work of art. You are a pure class act my friend! :thumbup:

Thanks again fellas. Mark, that's awesome! My grandson has always been infatuated with Mark's Fishbone Barlow. I contacted Mark in the hopes that I could buy one to pass on to my grandson. He's going to be doing cartwheels when he sees that. Thank you so much.

Thanks again fellas. Mark, that's awesome! My grandson has always been infatuated with Mark's Fishbone Barlow. I contacted Mark in the hopes that I could buy one to pass on to my grandson. He's going to be doing cartwheels when he sees that. Thank you so much.

Wearing a BIG smile after reading this, happy for you and your grandson Bob:cool::thumbup:

Way to go Mark:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I've been really busy the last few days and almost missed this thread but I'm in. I just got through reading the post here and just have to say you folks are the best. Ron, Paul and Duncan thank you all for your compassion and character. This past Christmas I was talking with Bob by PM and he indicated he was in a bit of a hard financial time. I asked him if anyone had raised funds for him and he said no. Now Bob and I are a little bit of kindred spirits health wise I don't have cancer but was in the hospital 5 months in 2014, 7 weeks in 2015 and am now disabled. My medical bills were crazy and I had to have help and I knew Bob was in the same boat. With Bob's permission I launched a GAW to raise funds for Bob and the response blew me away I knew how much I thought of Bob but this made it very apparent how much Bob you are loved by so many. First the knife donations there were so many that wanted to donate prize's I had to finally stop it at I think 21 knives. After this donations of cash, knives sold on the exchange and proceeds going to Bob over $3000 raised in just a few day's and every penny going to Bob. After this the majority of folks that won prizes either sold them and sent Bob the proceeds, Sent the knives to him or just sent him the value in cash. This just shows me that Bob not only are you loved and highly respected here on the Porch but also some of the finest folks on the planet have found their way to this little corner of the internet. Bob I am honored to call you my friend for you sir are one of the best. I have some more to post and will do so tomorrow. Thanks again guy's for doing this and to you Bob God's Speed.

Smoke and Prayers up from Montana Bob! I know you already know, but we are ALL pullin for you My Friend :thumbup:
So feel the Love!

Great tale Gary! :thumbup:
I believe it was Will Rodgers who said "If there are no dogs in heaven,then when I die I want to go where they went"

Dave

A BIG SMILE :D for you BigBiscuit and your grandson! A feel good moment for sure! :cool:
Once again kudos to you Mark:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I just have to agree, Bob - I know that your Grandson is one of your most special people in the world, - mate to be a fly on the wall when you two sit down and share that moment - Wow....pretty darned special, and so is Mark for doing this - Mark matey - you were pretty darned high up on my page before, but this hs lifted you to another level my friend - fantastic comradeship shown here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back