(Closed) A GAW / Tribute to our friend. Bob - BigBiscuit *Winners added see Post #143*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my very 1st post I wish I could enter guess I better start paying more attention! Great gaw I hope to learn a lot from u guys and I have a million question. I have a small but beautiful barlow collection tcs of course and a few others!!!

Mark, I know the last thing you are looking for is praise, but I have to join the others. Simply wonderful, so much respect. Bob I am smiling for your grandson, what a treasure. :)

I'm in, I've always enjoyed Bob's posts on this forum and all the help he has given to members new to traditional knives.

Mark, that is a very generous gift, wonderful to bring a smile to Bob and his grandson.

I'm in! Best wishes to bob. He's lucky to have friends like the three of you! My hearts goes out to him and his family through this difficult time.

So many great people happen to post in this forum. In a community of top notch people there are some that always seem to endear themselves to everyone without even trying to. To me that says volumes about these folks. They could be posting encouragement, kindly giving information, generously gifting/hosting a give away, ect. Bob is one of those guys.

When I scroll through the threads and see that smiling faced avatar it makes me feel better, I can't help but smile. This extends beyond this forum, when I get a chance to watch a Redsox game that smile pops into my mind. As a third generation Boston fan, for something as simple as an avatar to change the experience of the game says something of the guy behind the avatar. Thank you Bob.

I am in. Duncan, Paul and Ron are cast from the same special mold that tends endear people to them without them doing anything but being who they are.

Chris

i am in. Bob has been an integral part in this community and even though I have not interacted much with him personally, it is easy to take notice of that. Keep up the fight, prayers coming for you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am in. I don't know Bob personally but his story really hit home for me, and my thoughts are with him.
I don't post a lot, but I do love this forum.
Here's a pic of a very special knife I recently acquired, the story of which can be found in the thread, "A Boy and his Barlow."
IMG_3449_zpszocrpj0r.jpg
[/IMG]

Count me I on this very neat GAW.

I got this one from a GAW Bob held a while ago, it's one of 2500 but Bob's one in a million!

Bob's a real adventurous guy, we share a love of motorcycles and Bob told me he used to race on ice! That is so "cool"!

I'd love to hang out with Bob on his actual porch for a while and hear some stories.

I am in - Bob has been in our thoughts since I learned of the cancer.
I don't have any good stories about him, but have enjoyed reading about him from others who do.

I wasn't planning on entering - until I saw the TC Barlow. :)
thanks for the generosity and camaraderie to be found here in this forum and congrats to the winners, whoever they may be.

I'm definitely in. Bob added this EO notch to my new #15 Boy's Knife along with a few others. Great work and of course he wouldn't accept payment for them.

GEC%2015%20Boys%20Nifebrite%20EO%20mod.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you all for the amazing generosity fellas. I have enjoyed the many contributions, educational posts and flawless mods by Bob. I recently purchased this #77 from Bob on the exchange and absolutely love it. It has been in my pocket every day since and is the ideal material for heavy use. Thank you again Bob. Our thoughts and prayers remain with you. Never stop fighting.

I wish this gargoyle will protect you, Bob. This is a very old church in Auxerre, founded during the 7th century. Lots of spirituality in these old stones.
I would be very happy with any of theses knives, but even more to simply keep reading your posts.
Gargouille.jpg

I'm in. I am not a man of many words and have very little time as well, so it's hard for me to make friends here, although I consider each and every one on this forum as my special friend. So it make me sad whenever one of my mates suffers. I believe that a person have some influence on his life relying on his will power and spirit, so Bob be strong and have faith in yourself and I add my prayers for you.

Mike

I wasn't going to enter this GAW either, but I'm in, and I'm hoping all these fine testaments to Bob that have been written here will make him feel that much better. Bob is a good man, an asset here, and loved by his family and friends - what more can be said about a man? Keep fighting Bob - praying for you! OH

I'm in.

While I was in Spain in early January 2015, I entered a GAW sponsored by a guy with username BigBiscuit. He mentioned in the original post that he was worried about his health and had some surgery coming up. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1251047-New-Guy-GAW I was fortunate enough to win this Case Sodbuster Jr with chestnut jigged bone covers and CV blade in that GAW!
m1S17lJ.jpg

Turned out that Bob was in much more serious shape than he let on. I eventually learned that the GAW was quite typical of Bob: to take his mind off his own troubles, he'd do something for other people! Many of the other posts in this thread point out specific examples of Bob's generosity, thoughtfulness, and kindness. I've had some interactions with Bob over the past 20 months (oddly, none were directly knife-related) and have always been impressed by his care about others, his sincerity, his good humor, and his courage. Even though he's capable of some good-natured "shenanigans", I tend to think of him as a person without guile, a "straight shooter". The way Bob has handled the ups and downs of his fight with cancer has been an incredible inspiration to me. By coincidence (or maybe not?), at my church this morning, the sermon was based on Psalm 90:12 in the Bible: Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. I truly think that God has used Bob to help teach me how to "number my days" appropriately and concentrate on what really counts, and Bob's example has helped me gain some wisdom about a life well-lived.

I've carried that Sodbuster Jr with me every day since I received it from Bob, and I use it as a reminder to pray daily for Bob and for everyone else who's on my current "prayer list". I'll continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Thanks to Ron and Paul and Duncan for sponsoring this generous GAW/tribute! Those are 3 more forum members from whom I've also learned a lot. Thanks for being positive role models, guys, in so many ways!!

- GT

Hi Bob. I just got your PM. I lost your address so please PM me so that I can ship this knife to you as a gift.
Your friend,
Mark

IMG_0052_zpsyj4ubpyl.jpg

What a class act! :thumbup: i always love the tremendous generosity displayed on the porch

I agree with you Jack, way to go Mark. You my friend are truly a class act:thumbup:

Im with Mr Knife- Mark is a WAY COOL kinda guy - heart of Gold - thats awesome Mark - just awesome my friend.

Mark - My friend, I can not thank you enough for this awesome gesture for Bob. That is truly a beautiful work of art. You are a pure class act my friend! :thumbup:

Thanks again fellas. Mark, that's awesome! My grandson has always been infatuated with Mark's Fishbone Barlow. I contacted Mark in the hopes that I could buy one to pass on to my grandson. He's going to be doing cartwheels when he sees that. Thank you so much.

I just have to agree, Bob - I know that your Grandson is one of your most special people in the world, - mate to be a fly on the wall when you two sit down and share that moment - Wow....pretty darned special, and so is Mark for doing this - Mark matey - you were pretty darned high up on my page before, but this hs lifted you to another level my friend - fantastic comradeship shown here.

I totally agree with all the props given to Mark for his generosity. :thumbup::thumbup:
But based on this post in the "Totin' Today" thread a few days ago, Mark strikes me as even more of a generous class act than many of us might realize!! :eek::cool::cool:

Haven't been on here in a while, no excuses for that...
I made this knife for myself in memory of my mom who passed away a year ago.
In her younger days she had black hair, thus the reason for my handle choice.

IMG_0052_zpsyj4ubpyl.jpg

ps I will answer my PM's :)

- GT

This is my very 1st post I wish I could enter guess I better start paying more attention! Great gaw I hope to learn a lot from u guys and I have a million question. I have a small but beautiful barlow collection tcs of course and a few others!!!

Welcome dom, ask away with your questions here on the forum my friend and please post your TC's in the Good Barlow Thread:thumbup:

This is a good example of Bob being Bob found this in my mail box one day. Bob knows how much I love old USA knives and he sent me this WW2 era Camillus Radio Jack modified with Cocobolo covers and a EO notch. Bob I don't know which you love more getting a new knife for yourself or making someone else's day by gifting them a knife you know they will love either way you sure made my day with that knife. From the post I've read in this thread there is no telling how many people have been the recipients of Bobs generosity. Thank you my friend for such a beautiful and special knife.

I would like to participate! (I'm in)
Thank you for such a generous GAW. This forum is one of the friendliest I have ever encountered.
I will be praying for you and your family Bob. I am very blessed to have found the porch full of great people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back