A hard decision -- but

After reading Bill Martino's post and Josh Feltman, I feel that I must also clarify that I do not feel comfortable here anymore. This is a hard decision because I like the people here.

So, like Josh and so many others I am moving on. I have been posting less here and more at Ramanon. I feel at home there.

This quote below pretty much sums up why I was active on this Forum in the past.

"Because of my very firm belief in free speech and expression I allowed some posts which most would have banned. There were trying times when politics, religion, customs, entered into the discussion, especially if driven by zealots and fanatics and we had a few. But we survived and the forum became a place where anybody could say just about anything and it remains that way today to a high degree.

"I wanted the forum to be not just a place to discuss khukuris and blades in general but a place where somebody in trouble could come, state his trouble and ask for help in the form of prayer or even money. I wanted it to be a place where help and advice could be solicited. I wanted it to be a place where ideas, philosophies, could be discussed. However, I wanted it to be a place motivated by the first rule, "Love God and love thy neighbor as thyself." I never wanted to see hate or loathing as part of the discussion or posts made simply to stir up contentions and discontent.

"And here is the secret to making a decent, meaningful post: No matter what subject you might be posting about if you do so with the basic rules in mind, "Love God and love thy neighbor as thyself" and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" you'll end up with a good, meaningful post that will probably be of some kind of benefit to all. Check your motives before making your post. As my old guru used to advise me, "if you can't do it with love don't do it at all."

Last edited by Bill Martino : 07-05-2004 at 01:54 PM."

You may see me lurking sometimes. But I don't feel comfortable posting any more.

Sorry to hear about that, you are a person of deep thoughts, I hope after some time thinking about it, you will re-think your position and return to BF.

There are fanatics and idiots everywhere you go. Dozens of them are born every minute, and they are certainly found here on BF, just as they are found at work, on the street, at the store, in politics and everywhere else. However, ignoring them and go forward is the best way to go. If I were to be so bothered by them life would be very difficult. Don't let it bother you too much, carry on and post again, you have provided some good input to this forum, don't let the scum drag you down:cool:

This place thread seems as good as any to say that I too probably won't be around as much. I'm not "leaving", but I feel the changing winds blowing me in other directions. I will continue to lurk and check out what is going on. also, I will do my best to offer up smoke and well wishes to those in need. I owe all of you great people that much to be sure.

Take care
Jake

I know what you mean. This isn't the cantina of last year. People are coming here for lame fights, and it's not even a good read.

Yangdu and Himalayan Imports are keeping on, so I'll be back to look at the DOTD from time to time.

Jeeesh! Everybody....no, strike that....all the old timers are leaving, and they were the ones I really seemed to connect with. Mumble, mumble.....I've got to think about this...........................

This place has undoubtedly changed and I can't honestly say that the changes have been for the best. I don't know that I like all the changes but I have too many friends that are still here to leave. I wish everyone the best and hope for a brighter future.

What in the world? I start posting about guns and people leave. And here I thought I was just a thread killer. :p That's a joke by the way.

Sorry to see people leave. Hope they can find what they want where ever they hang.

Am not here tons like I used to and have missed lots of threads so I have no clue whats going on. But huh? I am curious; if things have changed for the worst, why don't people try to change things for the better instead of leave?

I can talk guns and share pictures here. Rairly do threads I start get big enough to hit 2 pages, but that hasn't cause me to leave. Guess I'm just confused. :confused:

Anyone take any cool pics over the weekend?

Heber:confused:

Unfortunately, I could see this coming when the HI forum was segregated into the Cantina and the regular forum. I'm sure that there were reasons for segregating it.

I've found myself coming here less and less. I got a lot of knowledge and wisdom from some of the "old timers" here and some of them seem to be wandering off. Its sad, but people move on.

Bill - you and I are friends.

Those reading this should see this as discussion between friends.

\end disclaimer\

The above statement by Bill Martino worked because Bill was there to back it. Frankly, the fact that the Cantina is actually even running at all is because of the ripple effect that set of guidelines had. But Bill had to constantly enforce it, reiterate it, etc. and it's easy to forget that. His personal interest in H.I. (he was a good salesman) helped him stay calm, bite his tongue and maintain control. We have always been a wild and crazy bunch that relied on Bill to keep the peace. No-one is going to be able to replace that...it's impossible...there will never be another Bill Martino. Transition/change was mandatory/inevitable.

IMHO and IIRC, the thinking behind creating the Cantina was an effort to save the forum which should have, by all rights, died when Bill did. There was a tremendous power struggle that many of you do not know about - took place behind the scenes. Nasty has been a big part of helping us ALL realize that times have changed and the forum will never be the same.

I freely admit to being swept up in the post-mortem antics and feel ashamed for any actions I may have taken, or words I may have posted in haste without seeing the "big picture". Hindsight...

I haven't been crazy about the directions things have taken either...(the last two years taken cumulatively).

But I'm not withdrawing my support of the forum. Easy for me to say, perhaps...as I have many of you as customers/friends. But you are all on the various other forums anyway...I don't "need" the Cantina to survive. I don't even really post here much anymore. Not that I wouldn't like to...I'm just too darn busy.

I just think we all need to take some time to reevaluate what we want out of the Cantina. Perhaps when the dust settles...it might be good for the two forums to merge back to one.

But ultimately, the decision lies with Spark - who has certainly been very patient with our antics...especially after Bill died.

Some of you view the Cantina subforum as restrictive, etc....but did we not bring this upon ourselves? by not minding our tongues after Bill died?

We really shouldn't be pointing any fingers of blame anyway...we were victims of circumstance and even though two years has passed...we're still learning how to cope.

I don't count myself as one of the true "old timers"...I have probably been around here longer than most...and certainly have the posts to show for it (feeling kinda overstuffed)...but I've only known H.I. since 2001...that's not much considering how long it's been around.

I've had some great times...and I've had some bad ones too...not many people here can say they've had more "forum pain" than some of the stuff I've been through. But I've weathered the storm before...and this too will pass.

If anybody wants to discuss this further via email or PM, feel free.

Bill, I'll see you in the other places, but I wish you wouldn't leave here.
Take care my friend,

Steve

What Dan said.

When you allow a lot of free ranging discussion you have to actually get in there and moderate more. That's what Bill did. I'm not talking warning people when they go too far, that's a part of it, but more kind of influencing the tone of the discussion. Bill kind of took the "community policing" like the neighborhood cop, rather than the law and order approach:D His way took a LOT more work.

But ultimately, the decision lies with Spark - who has certainly been very patient with our antics...especially after Bill died.

As I recall, Sparks subdivided, as he wanted to cull out periodically old posts and it was extremely difficult for him to do so with all of our knife unrelated comments. Having HI in high regard, he compromised by establishing the Cantina section. I believe this was done to conserve bandwith and archive more efficiently knife related topics.

I don't post much, but still enjoy reading the various posts. I OCCASIONALLY still pick up another knife but really have more than I can currently store/collect/use.. At one time, I believe I had the highest collection of HI products, probably no longer.

My knowledge of the various aspects of knives is far inferior to the vast knowledge by the old timers and probably some of the newcomers. I still enjoy the subject.

We all move on to other things in our lives, many of us have a great deal of respect for Yangdu and our late Uncle Bill. Yangdu is carrying on for Bill, her Dad, and the many people HI supports in Nepal. I'm sure it is hard work for her, considering she doesn't have the command of the English and philosophy Uncle Bill had, but she has the heart and soul for continued success. She really cares about the HI product and her customers/friends. She would never do you wrong.

For those who feel they have to bid bye for a while, please drop in once in a while, if only to lurk.

Blessings to all.

DAG

Back