A job that needs a knife...

Polzeyboy

CHEEKY BUGGER
Who here has a job that requires a decent knife?
I’m a volunteer UK HM Coastguard living right by the sea in Cornwall; it’s not my main job at all (we run a PR business) but it keeps me busy and is a good excuse to buy good torches, headtorches and knives!

I use mine a lot; in an extreme emergency it can also be a lifesaver to cut rope.

Anyway a photo.
Show us yours!

82951176_10156785940257805_4825505222887473152_o.jpg

Great pic and thanks for doing your bit to keep folks safe:)

What model of knife is that?

It's still quite early here so I dont have my knife on me to snap a picture.

In short, I'm a contractor. My "needed" knife is usually a multitool. The blades are important, but I probably use the drivers and pliers more.

I'll take a pic when I get to my office a bit later and settle in.

Interesting thread:)

Thanks! Maybe a bit early for a mostly US forum?!
It’s a newly acquired Manly Wasp S90V to replace a sadly lost Enzo PK70. So far so good.

I have a Leatherman Charge Tti and a Rebar for multitool duties; both excellent but quite bulky to slip in a pocket.
I tend to use the Rebar for MTB rides (in my backpack) and the Charge for Archery or VW camper trips. Comes in handy all the time!

Great choices for knives for sure.

Multitools are bulky. That's for sure. I think the bulk trade off shrinks when you use the thing 10 times a day. It starts to feel like necessary equipment instead of a heavy gadget. I started carrying a MT back in 1999 in college. I've spent more days with one on my hip or in my pocket than without. It's the first piece of my EDC I instinctively make sure I secure on my person when I swap out work jeans. It's the first non clothing/toiletry I make sure is stashed away in my checked baggage when flying. Lol to be honest, I get borderline panicky when I dont have one on me.

Funny what we gravitate toward:)

20200114-071701.jpg

Here is my current carry for the day. It's the dichotomy of need and fluff, tbh. I carry the Inkosi in a little leather wallet along with a self defense item in my right pocket. I will use it at work in my office for sure. I made a promise to myself that if I ever dropped $450 on a folder, I would carry it and use it. However, I can't bring myself to thrash it;)

The MT is the new Leatherman P4. It pretty much booted my Rebar out of my pocket and regulated it to back up duty in the truck glove compartment. Its large and handy with all the tools being external and one handed. The pocket clip makes it a breeze to carry. It rides in my left. It's pricey for the rudimentary steel the blade is made out of, but so far it has handled 100% of my needs at work and on the job. I used it this weekend to help my daughter build her little pinewood derby car.

In short, I will probably fidget with the Inkosi a dozen times today at my desk. I will probably use the LM just as many times to do "real" work.

Very nice! I do like the new P4 - but I can't justify getting one...for now!
That Inkosi is just plain gorgeous.

Yep, nice Manix as well!

Well while running a PR business, my knife requirements are probably just opening delivery packages and ink toner boxes!

Thankfully I do a fair bit that needs a good set of knives. And torches. And watches...

Okay, maybe I just like well made things!

Last edited:
Good topic. I’m an electrician so I get to use my knife quite a bit. Some days a ton and some days very seldom. Just depends on the type of work for the day. Stripping wire is a common use. I’ll score Sheetrock or clean up holes a little after cutting with keyhole saw, opening packages and blister packs, cutting tape, light prying. Lot of times Sheetrock finishes will leave mud or tape in switch boxes so I’ll cut it out or use the butt of the knife to knock it out. I’ll use the spine of the blade to scrape off stickers on conduit, can’t stand having stickers on exposed conduit. I’ve reamed pvc as well. I’ll even open chip bags or other wrappers just to have an excuse to use my knife. The Inkosi tanto is my carry today. Stripped a lot of wire making up a panel this morning. The Insingo blade shape makes for a very useful shape in my line of work. I get a lot of enjoyment out of using mine
01ECCA68-FD02-4DA7-A837-7B6940353170.jpeg 2496DDA1-F6AC-4172-98AA-439D9C14A17A.jpeg 8A5CE33C-AB6E-42ED-8933-7A2C12EBE416.jpeg

Cattle rancher/working cowboy. Knife usage is common from simply feeding (opening hay bales and grain sacks), to castration of bull calves at a branding, to doctoring cattle that might have an abscess or something similar. It is also for us a safety device. Ya have ropes, cattle, horses and people involved and things can get tangled. We call this a wreck. Sometimes a guy needs to cut himself an animal or someone else out of a wreck. When things get real western, real fast, a guy doesn't have time to walk back to the barn and get a knife.

Here's our farriers assistant. He's pulling the shoes on one of our horses. He has his knife handy case he gets tangled in something.

SMaHROC.png

My son in the pink shirt at one of his brandings. Lots of ropes and critters and folks and things happening fast. Lots of opportunity to get in a wreck:

KqDR7SF.jpg

Young Miss Emma has been helping us on our ranch last couple of years and wanted to learn how to castrate. So my son in the black hat and our friend Cody in the straw hat were coaching her:

IvOo8Ae.jpg

2KHNQh2.jpg

The wife ear tagging a calf, ya can see her small fixed blade sheath above her left front pocket.

HNZqLkD.jpg

Ready to test drive a new prototype (in my back pocket), regular belt knife on standby:

SKQFoxn.jpg

Cara giving some injections:

uHGswPl.jpg

The wife:

0UECzKT.jpg

Salty:

YtGt22k.jpg

Even doing competitive roping I've got mine:

Ppwtoxm.jpg

Helping our friend Mike at one of his brandings. This lively one is trying to come up my left side. If that were to happen I could be pinned to the saddle by the rope. A guy can use a good small fixed blade at that time, don't really have time to reach into a pocket and open your pocket knife:

fH0aPwa.jpg

Not my first rodeo, so I didn't let him, but it could happen:

xdAOsYI.jpg

My friend Mike stepping across to cut this one:

tOJKgDT.jpg

Knife usage is just real common in our western culture:

UeHDtce.jpg

Nny5HsF.jpg

I've made and sold thousands of knives. Most have gone to working cowboys, ranchers, working horsemen etc. I drove to compete in a roping three hours away and I count 35 of my knives being worn. I walk into a bar someplace else and there is one:

0WACIoc.jpg

Just super common in our gig. Even these two little guys, looking at the knives in our booth, already are carrying knives and big brother bought another one too:

wWqBpt3.jpg

P Polzeyboy thats kind of our gig, but I understand your gig too. I went to school north of ya some, Anstruther in Fife:

buyh2e2.jpg

8gVzOZr.jpg

Zw8FFGt.jpg

Klein stripping knife is what mine is. Doesn’t get a ton of use anymore

My Grandfather had a ton of those around his house, that's what he used as a utility knife, even after he retired from the phone company. Whenever he was teaching me something to do with woodworking or electrical work, or we were building model airplanes, we always ended up using one of these. Great memories.

Yes as a mechanic and station operator I can’t do without a knife and multi tool. To many different tasks to list but some days I use a knife or multi tool several times a day.

Some great photos!

One of our Coastguard shouts was for a scallop boat that misjudged where the rocks were.
We don’t often get a “reward” but 40 fresh scallops from this boat went down a treat! My pocket knife was used to free a few snagged ropes.

This is exactly one mile from home (I also surf a lot and am a qualified surf Lifeguard);

But today the ocean is completely mad; huge waves, 70mph winds!

21316435_10154794602017805_5775439326949764451_o.jpg

Some great photos!

One of our Coastguard shouts was for a scallop boat that misjudged where the rocks were.
We don’t often get a “reward” but 40 fresh scallops from this boat went down a treat! My pocket knife was used to free a few snagged ropes.

This is exactly one mile from home (I also surf a lot and am a qualified surf Lifeguard);

But today the ocean is completely mad; huge waves, 70mph winds!

21316435_10154794602017805_5775439326949764451_o.jpg
Hopefully ya won't get any calls today!

Back