A job that needs a knife...

My Grandfather had a ton of those around his house, that's what he used as a utility knife, even after he retired from the phone company. Whenever he was teaching me something to do with woodworking or electrical work, or we were building model airplanes, we always ended up using one of these. Great memories.
Handy little knives for sure. My dad is the same way. Seems to have them around everywhere. Mine pretty well just stays in the pouch in my bag anymore. Pocket knife has taken its role at work

Who here has a job that requires a decent knife?
I’m a volunteer UK HM Coastguard living right by the sea in Cornwall; it’s not my main job at all (we run a PR business) but it keeps me busy and is a good excuse to buy good torches, headtorches and knives!

I use mine a lot; in an extreme emergency it can also be a lifesaver to cut rope.

Anyway a photo.
Show us yours!

82951176_10156785940257805_4825505222887473152_o.jpg

I love my Manly Wasp in S90v... it's an AMAZING EDC knife...

And I know you carry it because of the local knife laws...

...but a serrated H1 Salt Spyderco would make it through that rope MUCH easier and you could justify its carry, with your job.

For me, I need to daily carry a SAK ALOX Electrician...

Nope - I'm not one... I just need one to quietly, meditatively enjoy an organic Granny Smith apple whilst at my desk.

It keeps me sane and slows me down and allows me to keep my job because I don't hit send on that drafted email I REALLY want to hit send on. :eek::D:p:cool::thumbsup:

I am also a sparky, rather new, and use my Manix 2. I'm considering switching to a PM2 but we'll see. Haven't had a ton of use for my knives in terms of wire stripping, but I sure do use it alot for opening material packaging and the occasional drywall trimming.

I used to work at construction site.

Now I work weird job, from administration to displays to organizing events and setting things up. Sometimes there's unboxing, cutting zip ties, prying, trimming plastic...

I use CS Drop Forged Hunter as my EDC, it does all this nicley, plus cutting loose strings from my shirts and jackets, and I sometimes use it to share a sandwich with someone :D

Arborist by trade, landscaper as a second hat to wear, so out of doors most days. From climbing and rigging lines to irrigation pipes and bailing twine on balled and burlaped trees, I've been glad that most days require some type of knife for work. Took a break today to eat an apple while installing an additional one hundred persimmon trees to an existing orchard on a farm in northern California. I recently found what seems like the ideal smaller fixed blade, Behring Made's TechnicalBehring Tecnical Apple.jpeg 'Duke'.

Like Dave Horsewright Horsewright I'm a horseman and in the saddle most of the day. I'm not a cowboy, though. I train horses and teach riding and work my own and others' farms and ranches.

I simply cannot get by without a knife and while I have gone around the block a few times on what make and model to carry, it usually comes back to a small fixed blade like a Dawson Outback or Mercury in a pocket sheath or (when thick gloves in cold weather are called for) a Buck 110 of some variety. If I'm doing maintenance work around the place, I'll add an SAK OHO Trekker to another pocket. On the trail I'll have a pliers-based multitool in the saddlebag for its wire cutters.

Horses and people are accident prone and being able to cut ourselves free is essential.

Zieg

I'm in comercial remodelling.. ill use a knife multiply times in a day and 1/3 the time for tasks i shoulnt be doing with a knife . I can't help it , ya know . So , I have a few work knives . I buy cheaper ones because I lose and abuse them . My current favorite is a 17 dollar Winchester " 110 " knock off " and its what I'm carrying atm

Great photos in this thread .
Loving the photos from Horsewright Horsewright .
Especially the mention of Anstruther in fife , i live just along the road in Markinch.
I'm in the fire service and use a knife regular at work , nothing fancy though .
Currently a , wait for it ... schrade part serrated tanto , i know the horror .:D
Works well for the kind of cutting i do at work .

Last edited:
Great photos in this thread .
Loving the photos from Horsewright Horsewright .
Especially the mention of Anstruther in fife , i live just along the road in Markinch.
I'm in the fire service and use a knife regular at work , nothing fancy though .
Currently a , wait for it ... schrade part serrated tanto , i know the horror .:D
Works well for the kind of cutting i do at work .

Good deal, thanks! Aye no far.

I work in human resources and the only blade I really would have to carry is my gil-tek ruk 2 for opening boxes of checks and currently w2 forms. But I also carry a rotation of folders like my para 3, Benchmade Osborne, zt0566 or whatever I'm in the mood for. If I have to wear a suit I usually have my blue and gray mini grip, just cause it looks nice.

I also keep a Leatherman wingman in my laptop bag.

-eg

Back