A KNIFE FOR THE END OF THE WORLD...Himalayan Imports khukuris...

High polished steel is easier to care for...was incredibly labor intensive, but for a reason......again....rough surfaces hold salts and moisture and acids and rust easier....

Hey, a novel idea....anybody wanna talk about my khukuri which started this thread?

Ok then, depending on which day end of the world comes I will chose between an 15-16inch ASTK and a chiruwa Bonecutter of the same size.

If the alloy was an option - I would probably pick CPM-3V.

I would stick with the cold-worked through years of vehicle use, and then hot-worked 5160ish alloy for max toughness....the steel as used a perfect choice for shock and stress....the powdered metals more for machine shearing and stamping with Charpy notch test numbers more geared towards those uses as well as a lot of marketing and research to garner knife market and smaller blades...just as i would prefer a differentially treated forged axe head....the new stuff is taken to uniform numbers throughout and made for more uniform uses....doubt powdered metal and likewise cast or MIM will ever make much of heavy duty spring as it lacks grain direction...or make much of a stressed tubing whether for high pressure fluid or gasses to include gun barrels....some applications DO gain strength and need that strength during rolling and extruding and forming/forging....

Back