a Knife SOG should produce...

Fletcher Knives

STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO
In the state of Georgia, where I live, and in many other states, the law says that if you carry a knife on you, it has to have a blade no longer than 3".

I have looked forever for a fixed blade that has a good full size handle and only a 3" blade. The fact is nobody makes one. It's always one of two things. Either the handle is small to match the blade and thus making an uncomfortable grip for serious work, or you have to resort to a folder, in which case, you're still getting an all around "small" knife and it's not a fixed blade which is what I want and is what's impossible to find.

I had talked to a couple of knife makers a few years back and they said "no one would buy that. The blade would be too small." Each time, they would sketch out some little blade knife on paper and show it to me and say "you see? too small for the handle you're talking about." I tried to explain to them that it's all in the blade design. You can make a 3" blade that is more than enough to tackle any serious job and will fit the handle nicely and not look like crap. I even have a close friend of mine who is a new knife maker that I have designed a bunch of knives for and he said the same thing to me. Unfortunately I don't have the tools or skills needed to make the knives myself. All I have is the ability to design the hell out of some blades and handles.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I found an awesome knife maker to make one for me as my personally edc. I told a few of my friends about it and showed them the design I made for it and they flipped. They all want one. Then, I though back to everyone I had ever talked too that wanted the same thing. I bet if a company was to make a knife like this mass produced, they would make a pretty good amount of moolah off it, especially considering that they would be the only company who offered a knife like this. I think SOG is the right company. I have a few of your knives and love the craftsmanship. If anyone could make a good quality version of my design and still keep it within the average dude's reach, I think it's you guys. So get to work. I'll buy 5 of them as soon as you're done. If you need my design, let me know. It's a good one. We can work something out.;)

In the state of Georgia, where I live, and in many other states, the law says that if you carry a knife on you, it has to have a blade no longer than 3".

I have looked forever for a fixed blade that has a good full size handle and only a 3" blade. The fact is nobody makes one. It's always one of two things. Either the handle is small to match the blade and thus making an uncomfortable grip for serious work, or you have to resort to a folder, in which case, you're still getting an all around "small" knife and it's not a fixed blade which is what I want and is what's impossible to find.

I had talked to a couple of knife makers a few years back and they said "no one would buy that. The blade would be too small." Each time, they would sketch out some little blade knife on paper and show it to me and say "you see? too small for the handle you're talking about." I tried to explain to them that it's all in the blade design. You can make a 3" blade that is more than enough to tackle any serious job and will fit the handle nicely and not look like crap. I even have a close friend of mine who is a new knife maker that I have designed a bunch of knives for and he said the same thing to me. Unfortunately I don't have the tools or skills needed to make the knives myself. All I have is the ability to design the hell out of some blades and handles.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I found an awesome knife maker to make one for me as my personally edc. I told a few of my friends about it and showed them the design I made for it and they flipped. They all want one. Then, I though back to everyone I had ever talked too that wanted the same thing. I bet if a company was to make a knife like this mass produced, they would make a pretty good amount of moolah off it, especially considering that they would be the only company who offered a knife like this. I think SOG is the right company. I have a few of your knives and love the craftsmanship. If anyone could make a good quality version of my design and still keep it within the average dude's reach, I think it's you guys. So get to work. I'll buy 5 of them as soon as you're done. If you need my design, let me know. It's a good one. We can work something out.;)

Bark River makes some models that match what you are looking for. The mini canadian has a nice size handle and a blade under 3 inches. Let us see some pictures of your knife.

The Bark River stuff looks somewhat ok, but I can't tell from the pictures. Judging by what I can see, they still don't look quite large enough. Can't tell without seeing one in person and handling it though. The knife I would like to see would have a handle material like the pentagon with a subhilt, brass hilt and subhilt, and a really thick blade, pereferribly in SK-5, maybe even TiNi coated AUS-8.

I'll post a picture of my design as soon as i get home from work.

Here we go. I found one of the sketches at work.

Knife Design

Pay no attention to the "overall length". I was being slightly retarded that day and my math was broken. The overall would actually be about 8"

Here we go. I found one of the sketches at work.

Knife Design

Pay no attention to the "overall length". I was being slightly retarded that day and my math was broken. The overall would actually be about 8"

wow......that is....very cool.

Sog wont produce it because they are not going to sell very well. Most people wouldnt purchase something like that. You will have to have one custom made.

Sog wont produce it because they are not going to sell very well. Most people wouldnt purchase something like that. You will have to have one custom made.

See? He said the exact same thing. LOL! That's what people have told me. Yet I know a kijillion people who want one. It's a crazy thing. I was like "why won't people buy them if so many people want them?" The answer they gave me might as well have been "42".

(reference to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in case nobody picks that up)

I'd EDC that in a heartbeat. I like the gold/ivory colored handle and grooves in particular. I wonder how a recurve would look? Increases cutting edge while maintaining a 3 inch blade length.

Dylside, a very beautiful design. :D

Great art work !

Robbie Roberson. ;)

Thanks Robbie. As always, it's my curse. I can design stuff from super sick to classy and practical, but I can't make 'em myself. It's like knowing that Camando is on, but I can't find the clicker.

I'd EDC that in a heartbeat. I like the gold/ivory colored handle and grooves in particular. I wonder how a recurve would look? Increases cutting edge while maintaining a 3 inch blade length.

I do actually have one of those designs with a recurve blade at home. I'll have to find it and I'll put it up here. I thought about doing a recurve at first, but it just didn't come out looking like I wanted it to. Plus fitting a recurve took a lot away from the blade as far as surface goes, which could be considered good or bad. When I looked at both blade designs side by side, I just liked the standard shape a little more. I have a few diffeent designs of this knife that incorporated different shapes, but the one i have up there in my post ended up being the best looking and most fuctional.

Well since your trouble is lack of blade length, I figured a gentle curve (which is usually good looking anyway) would help alleviate the difficulty. I look forward to seeing the recurve design.

Ok. Here we go again. These are sketches I was making when coming up with the blade design I like best. I actaully have about 15 more than this, but these are the highlights. They're quick sketches that I do a bunch of really fast to make decisions so don't judge them too much. Just imagine them all pimped out like my good sketches.

knifedesign2.jpg

knifedesign3.jpg

knifedesign4.jpg

knifedesign5.jpg

knifedesign6.jpg

knifedesign7.jpg

Get rid of the subhilt. It restricts the number of grip positions you can hold the knife in. It also makes the knife very uncomfortable for people with thick fingers, like a narrow finger choil does for me.

Get rid of the subhilt. It restricts the number of grip positions you can hold the knife in. It also makes the knife very uncomfortable for people with thick fingers, like a narrow finger choil does for me.

I did give that some though. The handle in this design is just for the one I'm having made. It's not necessarily the "mass production" design. The handle I think would work perfect for a knife like that would be a lot like the Pentagon handle, but with a slight curve toward the edge side. This is just the handle i wanted for my edc because I rarely hold my edc in any other position and I wanted a little extra leverage.

One handle I came up with for a friend of mine that worked awesome was a rubberized handle oval shaped with very slight finger grooves on the front and rear, smooth sides, and the butt of the handle came to a slight dome shape and one good thumb groove in it. My friend thought I was nuts, but he fell in love with it after we made one. The finger grooves were slight enough so that it didn't bother you or sacrifice grip at all in your palm and made a good difference in grip for your fingers. The handle was basically totally comfortable in any position.

The main thing I would like to fix is just having a knife with a legal blade for edc thats fixed and a big handle for big hand adult people. All of the little hunters and camp knives either have a good size handle with a blade that's only 2" long or a 3" blade with a handle too small for big hand people to get a good grip on and some leverage.

The handle I think would work perfect for a knife like that would be a lot like the Pentagon handle, but with a slight curve toward the edge side.

One handle I came up with for a friend of mine that worked awesome was a rubberized handle oval shaped with very slight finger grooves on the front and rear, smooth sides, and the butt of the handle came to a slight dome shape and one good thumb groove in it.

That modified Pentagon handle would work.

I'm not sure about the other. I'm probably overinterpreting the finger grooves and I'm not sure what you mean by a dome shape.

Back