A Little About Me and My Knives

Hello Everyone,
My name is Patrick Doyle, and I love knives! In fact I'm obsessed with everything about them.
First let me start by saying that I'm really looking forward to being a part of this forum, and bringing all of you the best knives that I can.
So here's a little info about me, the man behind the blades. I'm 34 year old knife maker living/working in Howell, Michigan. I've been learning the art of knife making for a little over 4 years now, but I've only really taken it seriously for about 18 months. Now it's literally all I think about.
It all started when I was about 10 years old and received Bob Loveless's book "How To Make Knives", after looking at the pictures, I grabbed an old file and went to work on the bench grinder, needless to say I didn't get very far! Now fast forward into my late 20's, my parents moved and left me with my old box of "toys", a few old knives and tomahawks from my black powder shooting days. I started to modify those, and then everything snowballed from there. I found Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop" and started to teach myself how to make knives again. Fast forward and here I am today.
During the non knife making years I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism from Oakland University, and have worked as a professional drum and keyboard tech for the last 10 years touring with the band O.A.R.(Of A Revolution).

Now a little about my knives-
I've always been inspired by simple straight forward designs. I enjoy nothing more than seeing my knives get used for everyday tasks by everyday people. I've always viewed a knife first and foremost as a cutting tool nothing more nothing less. If it's not comfortable in the hand, pleasing to the eye and well razor sharp, then I have not succeeded. That is what I set out to do with each and every knife I design and make.
I don't make safe queens or museum pieces. Art knives do nothing for me, though I appreciate the immense skill and craftsmanship that those makers put into their work, it's just not me. I love nothing more than to see a well used knife, one which every scratch and ding brings back a fond memory from the years of hard work. That's art to me.
As for the knives themselves, I make them one at a time here in my shop in Michigan. I primarily use CPM 3v, and some other tool steels (A2, D2, O1) and I'm starting to use some stainless as well (S35vn, and CPM 154). For handles I prefer to work with G-10 and Micarta, but I will use whatever the customer wishes. I also enjoy experimenting with different blade finishes.
Like I said, I'm really looking forward to bringing you the best knives I can. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and thanks for the support.

Patrick Doyle
Doyle Knives

Congratulation on your sub forum Patrick!
Keep up the good work.

Back