A little help please with this Schrade Walden #825 ?.

Just picked this one up recently and would like to know more about it. If you all could assist me I would be much obliged for any and all information regarding this knife.

Its a (2) blade stockman(no spey) knife with jigged brown derlin scales, three brass pins and the bomb shield that reads: K-77. The main blade tang stamp reads in four lines: SCHRADE, WALDEN, STAINLESS,N.Y. U.S.A. The back side reads model #: 825 or 826(the last number is very hard to see even under glass and in the sunlight.)

If you all could please give me information on vintage and how common this model may have been and what the K-77 on the shield might stand for??

000_1513.jpg

000_1512.jpg

Thank You,
Anthony

the 825 is a 3 blade slim premium stockman. see sticky "open for viewing" under open stock page 1. to my eye the 897UH, S/W 825 and Schrade 825 are all the "same" knife. i also have a 4th "identical" knife:Schrade/Walden/N.Y. U.S.A./Stainless with no pattern # and shield Keen Kutter.
so i guess yours is an 826, tho i have not seen one of those before. roland

I have never seen the "K-77" with a 825 turkish clip. I had always seen them as the 893.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that is a rework.

But I could be wrong...

Glenn

I have never seen the "K-77" with a 825 turkish clip. I had always seen them as the 893.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that is a rework.

But I could be wrong...

Glenn

No Glenn,

You may be right on the mark here.. I just took another look and realized that the pin on the right side of the shield looks as if it was a replacement. If true than you may be right after-all. It still does not explain the K-77 on the shield.. Help!

k77.jpg

I have one too, and I'm sure it's not a rework.

The one on the left is an 893, the one on the right is a Schrade Walden 825. Marc (ducks and bucks) has one too. His is also a two bladed 825. Someone told me the K-77 had something to do with Norm Thompson Outfitters once upon a time. I don't remember who it was.

Last edited:
below is a pic of, from top down: 897UH; Schrade 895; Schrade Walden 825; Schrade Walden Keen Kutter. all 3 bladed stockman built on the same frame it seems to me.
so what's up with Schrade Walden 825 on a 2 bladed knife as well as a 3 blade stockman ? roland

Attachments

• IMGP0677.JPG
    IMGP0677.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 62
OK Thawk and Roland. So I see. The 825 is no re-work then and is a legit 2 blade stock pattern. So what significance does the K-77 shield represent?

I wonder if the K-77 signifies the type of "Razor Blade Stainless" steel that was used for the blades?

Eric

Well Michael, I think you've got me. We may have discussed it somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't recall.

I know Roebic K-77 is a root killer...a special order for a hardware or supply chain store??

Sorry, I don't remember.

Bill

I wonder if the K-77 signifies the type of "Razor Blade Stainless" steel that was used for the blades?

Eric

Just went to check my stash of S/W stockmans and I have got a three blade stockman with the "Razor Blade" stainless steel. The main blade has the "Razor Blade" etch and the bomb shield reads "stainless". So my thinking is that the K-77 shield may not have anything to do with the "Razor Blade Stainless".

Interestingly though, the model number on this "Razor Blade" three blade stockman also reads 825?: So an 825 model may be a two or three blade then?:confused:

Just went to check my stash of S/W stockmans and I have got a three blade stockman with the "Razor Blade" stainless steel. The main blade has the "Razor Blade" etch and the bomb shield reads "stainless". So my thinking is that the K-77 shield may not have anything to do with the "Razor Blade Stainless".

Interestingly though, the model number on this "Razor Blade" three blade stockman also reads 825?: So an 825 model may be a two or three blade then?:confused:

A typical Schrade puzzle. The 893 is what I believe should be the correct pattern number, but the 893 did not appear in any catalogs. In catalogs or price lists, the 825 appeared as a three blader.

I have Razor Blades in 855 in both two and three blade configurations as well, with and without the Razor Blade etch. Like the 825, they are all marked stainless. No K-77 on the 855's shields.

There were some other Razor Blade patterns as well, like the 718RB.

I still suspect the K-77 was used on an SFO, but have no proof. The topic has come up several times and never has there been an answer that was definitive.

Explain that wink on the message to El Lobo, Michael. Somehow I think you might be holding out. :) :confused:

OK then,

Here is another salvo.....The K-77 was a Juliett class Soviet submarine launched in 1965. After being decomissioned, it was used to make the movie "K-19...the Widowmaker."

Sooooooo....."Why is it on a knife escutchen Bill?"

"Frankly, I don't know."

I seem to remember seeing something about Parker using a "K-77 surgical steel" on some of his Japanese imports...but that is weak as well...no?

bILL

this is v. interesting thread. so both the 825 and 855 came as 2 and 3 bladed configurations (S/W only or Schrade as well ?). what is the explanation for this ? is it just that in times past less attenion was paid to model #s, so that as long as same frame was used, same model # was used too ? and, are there other examples of this ? i'm sure Codger knows (nudge, nudge;). roland

I still suspect the K-77 was used on an SFO, but have no proof. The topic has come up several times and never has there been an answer that was definitive.

Someone told me the K-77 had something to do with Norm Thompson Outfitters once upon a time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NORM-THOMPSON-P...T-2-FOR-1_W0QQitemZ280150034882QQcmdZViewItem

The 825 was offered as both carbon (#278 pattern) and stainless 825RB (#280 pattern).

EDIT: Bill, you weren't all that off track on the former Soviet submarine. It is currently in Providence Rhode Island as a tourist attraction.

Nice find Codger. I didn't even know who Norm Thompson was, but had heard it.

We'll just keep that ad in the family now, and I'll scan a copy and send it to Irv.

Now I have to visit the submarine some day too.;)

Norm Thompson was the SMKW of his day.
They advertised in most hunting and "mens" mags in the 60's and 70's.
I have a bunch of his ads.
The Razor Blade were stamped Stainless on the shield.
I know I have some info on the KK's around here and swear we did something on them in the past.
I think Codger has a bunch of the old ads as well.
I'll keep digging.

i have a question about the k-77 schrade walden. on my straight knife it reads razor blade stainless and right under that it reads PAT. PEND. Do they all have that pat pend under the stainless writing? And if so what year do you think it was made cause it says ny usa on the base of the blade and other side 825 and no one else metion pat. pend. Do you think this makes this knife different or just not used and had it wore off pat. pend. on other ones? Thanks so much any info is good info! Been trying to find out for years. Me and my father are big knife collectors!

The original Schrade Walden "Razor Blade Stainless" folders showed up in 1964. The original run had simply RAZOR BLADE STAINLESS across the master blade, and PAT PENDING underneath. The used the slogan and the fine "razor blade" grind on the blades well into the 1970's. I think the 3rd year they added the razor blade picture to the logo. You saw it used on Schrade, Craftsman, Imperial, Diamond Edge, and Camillus knives, in varying names and logos. Here are a few examples:

SW-64-RB.jpg

55_Craftsman_Walden-1.jpg

825SS_f2.jpg

55_58OT-3.jpg

Show us your knife BTKYOU if you can. Also, the forum SEARCH feature will find quite a few threads regarding Razor Blade Stainless.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Walden-Razor-Blade-Stainless?highlight=razor

Back