A little peek at Steve's sgian dubh

At ease ladies, I'm talking about a knife.:rolleyes:

Told Steve Ferguson I was going to make him a sgian dubh (by way of showing my appreciation for a friend and one of the good guys). Ain't finished yet, still waiting on his clan crest to get here, but here's how it looks so far.

Blade is hand forged, filed, polished, hardened, tempered, and polished some more. Handle is antiqued stag, with a bolster/ferrule made from a silver ring featuring Celtic knotwork. Capping the pommel is an amethyst mounted in silver. Purty little sticker, had a lot of fun so far in making it, had a small throng of folks watching me forge the blade, something fascinating about red hot steel. Soon as I get the Ferguson clan crest mounted, and a scabbard made for it, it'll be ready to report for duty. :thumbup:

Sarge

Wow, Sarge! Amateur or not that is some fantastic work!:thumbup: That's something future Ferguson's will be proud to hand down again and again.

Jake

The ring WAS a great idea.

Super nice piece, going to OOTTGG's indeed.

Congrats, both.

Mike

Sarge,
I hardly know what to say. You must have known that I needed to see this today. I just got back to work from taking my 80 year old pappy to turn in his driver's license. He had a wreck a week ago, because his legs aren't working right. Nobody hurt thank God, but he should have stopped driving months ago. It's hard to see your Pap in this condition.

Man, that's just absolutely beautiful. I truly love it. You have certainly outdone yourself. Thank you.:thumbup:

Steve

That one is gorgeous Sarge. Steve, wait till you feel it in your hand. I'm constantly handling mine. Sarge is the best!

Andy

Outstanding work. Really like what you did with the ring. What kind of stone did you use in the buttcap?

Functional art . I like it ! I have liked those little critters since I saw one in a James Bond movie . More decades ago than I,d like to talk about !

Beeyooteeful wee Skeen Doo Sarge.:thumbup: :D :cool:

What'd you use to mount the amythest? :confused:

Yvsa said:
What'd you use to mount the amythest? :confused:

The bottom part of the silver mounting holding the amethyst is inletted 1/4" deep into the antler and bent here and there with some jeweler's pliers to former a stronger mechanical bond with the epoxy. I can't stand even purty stuff that ain't solid.;)

Sarge

p.s.: thanks Greg, been doing any tinkering yourself lately?

Sylvrfalcn said:
p.s.: thanks Greg, been doing any tinkering yourself lately?
Shoot bro, it's me that should be thanking you as I always like seeing your work.

Myself, I've been practicing the fine art of procrastination (I love this definition: "Slowness as a consequence of not getting around to it").
I have a blade I ground some time back that I need to heat treat and three from Ragnar to mount. I did get around to restocking my old Enfield, but lately I've become much too fond of shooting pool and pulling on the barley pops:eek: Retired life is grand.

Regards,
Greg

Back