A mini/button compass that actually points north

I have never had good luck finding a tiny compass that actually worked. Several years ago I made a walking stick for my father in law, and wanted a mini compass mounted in the top. I ordered a 5 pack of 'em knowing what to expect, and the best one of the bunch sorta pointed a northerly direction. Most of the time. If you tapped it, and then let it settle again. All the others were clearly way off, by 20-30 degrees or more. That's generally been my experience with the little cheap dealies, and I never thought it was worth the investment to track down a high quality version.

But I recently ordered a Maratac AAA flashlight from county.com, and browsed around their neat gadgets to see if there was anything I could throw in while I was at it. I took a chance and ordered their little Thumb Tack Compass 2-pack.

And I'll be darned. Both of them actually point North! Like, dead-on, true north. Of course they're too small to take bearings and such, but should be useful just to keep from getting myself turned around the wrong way. And small enough to always keep along.

photo-3_69124247-5455-4a7a-8a23-92c4e02cf6a5_grande.jpg

Thanks for the report! I collect mini compasses. The only quality, current production, mini compass that I'm aware of is the ridiculously over-priced NATO compass. Number 4 below.

SkwDvD1.jpg

I have a few of the watchband compasses from Luminox and Marathon. I find they point North very reliably but you have to have it level. It's very easy to think it's good and it's still got a bit of cant that is influencing the dial.

I've found that Sun Company mini and button compasses are accurate, reliable, and inexpensive.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the fine little Tru-Nord button compasses made in a small shop in Minnesota since 1944. Premium stuff ... premium prices ... the titanium and stainless steel ones are $$ overkill ... I love my brass one ...

https://trunord.com

Last edited:
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the fine little Tru-Nord button compasses made in a small shop in Minnesota since 1944. Premium stuff ... premium prices ... the titanium and stainless steel ones are $$ overkill ... I love my brass one ...

https://trunord.com

Those are pretty dang nice :).

~Chip

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the fine little Tru-Nord button compasses made in a small shop in Minnesota since 1944.
It wouldn't be surprising if you knew what a cheapskate I am. ;) Now that I've found some that work great for $3.75, I don't foresee needing to drop 50 bucks on another one.

You mean the one on the handle of the Rambo knife doesn't point to magnetic north? :D

I unfortunately like gadgets and those tiny compasses always attract my attention in stores.

Back