A Month of the SwissChamp

I have carried the red one quite often and don't find the size or weight to be a problem.

Swapped over from shorts to jeans yesterday, as it's starting to get chilly in the northeast. Carry just got a whole lot easier. SwissChamp fits perfectly, alongside my Maratac AAA flashlight, in the change pocket of my Levi's.

8AdvKNUh.jpg

uq7i4J0l.jpg

Looks like you are prepared for everything. A SwissChamp with all its tools is a toolbox in your pocket. A flashlight and that really cool compass give you light and orientation. In omnia paratus!
I like that compass. One question: I often read that one shouldn't have a compass close to metal. Any effect?

Looks like you are prepared for everything. A SwissChamp with all its tools is a toolbox in your pocket. A flashlight and that really cool compass give you light and orientation. In omnia paratus!
I like that compass. One question: I often read that one shouldn't have a compass close to metal. Any effect?

It's actually not a real compass, just a small charm. But it is true that a compass will be thrown off when placed close to certain metals.

Now here's a head scratcher for you. I have a Victorinox compass sitting on my coffee table at home. If it's placed too close to one of my VIC Pioneers, an older model, the compass reading is thrown off. But when placed next to a newer Vic Farmer, the knife has no effect on the compass whatsoever. Very strange.

GiwaTpnh.jpg

przGavUh.jpg

It's actually not a real compass, just a small charm.
Looked quite realistic ;)

Now here's a head scratcher for you. I have a Victorinox compass sitting on my coffee table at home. If it's placed too close to one of my VIC Pioneers, an older model, the compass reading is thrown off. But when placed next to a newer Vic Farmer, the knife has no effect on the compass whatsoever. Very strange.

That's really strange. Are the Mythbusters still on air? Maybe they can solve that mystery...
Those Alox Scales can't make a difference, can they?

You convince me. Mine is on the mail (alongside a Tinker Small). Where did you get those scales?

Excellent thread! Made me pull out my Swiss champ and play around with it. I carried it everyday two summers ago when I broke my leg as I needed a doo all tool. And it proved to be just that. From the pen to the pliers, I used everything almost every week. Truly a great tool!!!! I love the bomber scales on the one from dlt!

Really enjoyable thread. If you have any 2020 Swiss Champ summer adventure updates please share them! I’m sure we’d all love to read them.

The eight year old in me likes the magnifying glass. My stepdad had given me his childhood Dick Tracy knife which had a magnifying glass so I always wanted a user that had one. SAK came through for me even though I was grown by the time I got these.

Last edited:
I bought one of these from Amazon in January 2009 when they were blowing them out for $29 (I looked at my orders). This one has the gray magnifying glass. The other one has the clear magnifier and no mini-screwdriver in the corkscrew. I have no idea of its age or where/when I got it. Anyone know the years they made the clear magnifier version?

The files one these (like the Executive) are absolutely wonderful firesteel scrapers. I carry one with each knife. I also like the pressurized pen. Problem is, I always forget it's there. :)

I bought one of these from Amazon in January 2009 when they were blowing them out for $29 (I looked at my orders). This one has the gray magnifying glass. The other one has the clear magnifier and no mini-screwdriver in the corkscrew. I have no idea of its age or where/when I got it. Anyone know the years they made the clear magnifier version? :)

According to SAKWiki. The magnifying glass was introduced in 1973. It had the gray housing with a 8X glass lens. They say that, Victorinox says, they changed to the clear housing, with a 5X plastic lens in 2004; but that it didn't start showing up in North America until about 2007. In 2012 they changed to a clear housing with a 6X glass lens. The lens on this last version has been known to pop out.

O.B

According to SAKWiki. The magnifying glass was introduced in 1973. It had the gray housing with a 8X glass lens. They say that, Victorinox says, they changed to the clear housing, with a 5X plastic lens in 2004; but that it didn't start showing up in North America until about 2007. In 2012 they changed to a clear housing with a 6X glass lens. The lens on this last version has been known to pop out.

O.B
After posting my comments earlier, it dawned on me to head over to SAKwiki. I have no recollection of when I bought one of the two I have (which has the clear magnifier). Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
In 2012 they changed to a clear housing with a 6X glass lens. The lens on this last version has been known to pop out.
Indeed. Not a common occurrence, but enough to be significant. I epoxied the lens in my Explorer because it kept coming out. Just a couple of tiny dabs inside the frame before reinserting the lens will do the job.

Some months ago, a poster on another forum reported that Victorinox had answered concerns and fixed the problem.

I am a collector/user of Swiss knives. I own about 300 of them today. Among these knives I have 7 Swisschamp, 2 of which are in Sos Kit. Some are over 40 years old. Swisschamp knives are essential in the Swiss knives range. They can still be found quite easily on occasion.
25518115318_1bd51f81f1_c.jpg

27611030209_78e5d655e2_c.jpg

40675330561_cae30cd1de_c.jpg

41476643971_d6eeba04af_c.jpg

Back