1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

A Month of the SwissChamp

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Buzzbait, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Swapped over from shorts to jeans yesterday, as it's starting to get chilly in the northeast. Carry just got a whole lot easier. SwissChamp fits perfectly, alongside my Maratac AAA flashlight, in the change pocket of my Levi's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    Looks like you are prepared for everything. A SwissChamp with all its tools is a toolbox in your pocket. A flashlight and that really cool compass give you light and orientation. In omnia paratus!
    I like that compass. One question: I often read that one shouldn't have a compass close to metal. Any effect?

3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    It's actually not a real compass, just a small charm. But it is true that a compass will be thrown off when placed close to certain metals.

Now here's a head scratcher for you. I have a Victorinox compass sitting on my coffee table at home. If it's placed too close to one of my VIC Pioneers, an older model, the compass reading is thrown off. But when placed next to a newer Vic Farmer, the knife has no effect on the compass whatsoever. Very strange.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PeaceInOurTime and jmh33 like this.
  4. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    Looked quite realistic ;)

That's really strange. Are the Mythbusters still on air? Maybe they can solve that mystery...
    Those Alox Scales can't make a difference, can they?

5. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    From what I remember of that show, all they would do is blow up the compass.

6. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    Well, you are right :D

7. VicAlox74

VicAlox74

Nov 4, 2018
    Where did you get the OD green scales for it? Sorry if you've already said.

8. Storm 8593

Storm 8593

Jan 4, 2019
    Newer knife has less iron in the steel mix would be my guess

9. bruno_go

bruno_go

May 19, 2015
    You convince me. Mine is on the mail (alongside a Tinker Small). Where did you get those scales?

10. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Great thread Buzz!

Thank you.

11. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Excellent thread! Made me pull out my Swiss champ and play around with it. I carried it everyday two summers ago when I broke my leg as I needed a doo all tool. And it proved to be just that. From the pen to the pliers, I used everything almost every week. Truly a great tool!!!! I love the bomber scales on the one from dlt!

315 and Storm 8593 like this.