A new family member...The BK-18 Harpoon....

Ethan Becker

We have a new member of the family......The Becker BK-18. This blade came about thru a collaboration with Ka-Bar. They came to me with a blade design that was very close in both style and concept to one that I had been contemplating for a while.

The design process was mercifully short and the result is a blade which makes me very happy.

It was then necessary to get the super secret mining elves of Norway to produce the Vanadium and to get their Viking cousins across the border to dig a bit of Chromium for the 1095...

Ok, Ok... Maybe not....

A little bit of background on the design..... When I was working on Hank Reinhart’s Kukri design I had several epiphanies and one of them had to do with curves. Then at a Beckerhead gathering I had a chance to play with one of Jim Bensinger’s sexy curvy, maybe Indonesian, inspired blades and then I had to own it and I really like using it. It is damned efficient. It may actually be possible for Jim to teach this old dog new stuff.

The BK18 looks nothing like Jim’s Blade and it has nothing in common with any of Hank’s designs that I am familiar with. It does represent their influences on my thought processes....

The blade has a nice flat profile close to your hand for up close carving and whittling which then gives way to a nice upswept section which is ideal for rough whittling and skinning and then it ends in a nice penetrating point which is quite handy for getting at nut meats, making holes and such.

There has been a pretty long gestation period for this blade but, I had a preproduction example that I put through it’s paces last February. I found it really handy and fun to use.

It is a comely blade and easy to look at but, the bottom line is that I think you will find it that it earns it’s keep and is very useful

We have a new member of the family......The Becker BK-18. This blade came about thru a collaboration with Ka-Bar. They came to me with a blade design that was very close in both style and concept to one that I had been contemplating for a while.

The design process was mercifully short and the result is a blade which makes me very happy.

It was then necessary to get the super secret mining elves of Norway to produce the Vanadium and to get their Viking cousins across the border to dig a bit of Chromium for the 1095...

Ok, Ok... Maybe not....

A little bit of background on the design..... When I was working on Hank Reinhart’s Kukri design I had several epiphanies and one of them had to do with curves. Then at a Beckerhead gathering I had a chance to play with one of Jim Bensinger’s sexy curvy, maybe Indonesian, inspired blades and then I had to own it and I really like using it. It is damned efficient. It may actually be possible for Jim to teach this old dog new stuff.

The BK18 looks nothing like Jim’s Blade and it has nothing in common with any of Hank’s designs that I am familiar with. It does represent their influences on my thought processes....

The blade has a nice flat profile close to your hand for up close carving and whittling which then gives way to a nice upswept section which is ideal for rough whittling and skinning and then it ends in a nice penetrating point which is quite handy for getting at nut meats, making holes and such.

There has been a pretty long gestation period for this blade but, I had a preproduction example that I put through it’s paces last February. I found it really handy and fun to use.

It is a comely blade and easy to look at but, the bottom line is that I think you will find it that it earns it’s keep and is very useful

Excellent news, looking forward to some pics Ethan!

I like the blade a lot ... I've found a harpoon shape with a swedge is pretty useful for many things ... and I always like a bit of belly on a knife. The 18 looks like it could do several things well. :thumbsup: Excited to see this one released!

looks like fun - and Jim's Street Barong comes from a Phillipino influence, so you're close.

Thanks for the origin story Ethan. Looks like it will be a great addition for every knife user everywhere.
I'll be getting one for sure.

Has there been any mention of the blades thickness?
I can guess, but I'd rather know for sure....
thanks.

Back