A new flipper from Case

mbkr

Gold Member
Something a little different from Case. The "Shark Tooth". A flipper with S35VN steel.
53505_214_SG_Sharktooth_Flipper_MAIN.jpg

I enjoy Case's traditional knives, but I'm always excited to see them try something different. Now if they made a Copperlock with a steel upgrade and a thumb stud, that would be just my style.

It looks alright to me too. It wouldn’t be high on my list or anything, but innovation is a good thing for most knife companies out there.

I dont have anything from Southern Grind or Case so im getting one to check out what they are up to.

I dont have anything from Southern Grind or Case so im getting one to check out what they are up to.

I don't think this is made by Southern Grind. On the Case website, they state that it's made in Bradford PA, Southern Grind is in Georgia. They were very upfront about Southern Grind being the manufacturer of their other flipper, but they don't mention who made this one.

Ugh. A bit high.

That was my thought as well. That said, Case’s whole business model is a sort of faux-high-end with generally high prices considering the quality and materials. They’ve got people paying $50+ for 420HC knives with pretty poor QC, so $200 for a S35VN flipper made in the US seems pretty much in line. I’ll bet the flipper doesn’t scrape the liners like 1/2 the Cases I’ve handled.

That was my thought as well. That said, Case’s whole business model is a sort of faux-high-end with generally high prices considering the quality and materials. They’ve got people paying $50+ for 420HC knives with pretty poor QC, so $200 for a S35VN flipper made in the US seems pretty much in line. I’ll bet the flipper doesn’t scrape the liners like 1/2 the Cases I’ve handled.
Yeah, I know it's about par for Case to put a high price on their knives. Luckily I'm not that into traditionals:D

I'll admit, I like Case knives. I have 6 of them. Two copperlocks and 4 slipjoints. One of the slipjoints is a Barlow from the seventies that I got from my Dad 25 or 30 years ago. Its been used hard, sharpened so much it missing a lot of blade and the blades are still tight with good snap. Of the other three slips, two I recently bought new and one I bought used. They are all nice knives that function like they should. Of the two copperlocks one had a blade that was badly off center and should have never left the factory that way. The other is nicely centered. I emailed Case about the bad one. They sent me a mailing label. A couple of weeks later I got the knife back and the blade no longer hit the liners. I don't know if it was a different knife or if they tweaked the one I sent them, but they fixed it and it didn't cost me anything. So that's good.
That said, I think the price on this flipper is high. It was $75 to $100 higher than I expected. I probably won't buy one (famous last words), but I'm glad to see one of the last American makers of traditional knives trying new stuff.

I actually like it. If the quality is there I don't think $200 is unreasonable. USA made with premium materials. 3.5" blade. 3.4 oz. Some might like to see ti and a frame lock but I'm fine with the aluminum linerlock. Think about the cost of other knives with all these attributes. Again though, the quality and f&f needs to be there.

the quality and f&f needs to be there
I have been very fortunate with my Case knives in those areas, however, the past for many, apparently would not indicate a great confidence in the presence of both. :( Also, IMO, the appearance (admittedly not as important as function) is, at best, Meh.

Its really great they are doing this, however, this particular design is not very appealing nor is the price tag.

. . . er . . .
a . . a . . a aahhhhhhh ? . . .
I won't pick apart what I don't care for and that I think that others may not care for in the sober light of day once they've got past the . . . oh I don't know what.

What I do like is the general shape of the handle: thickish, rounded corners, nice textured panel in the grip. That's good.

The steel is definitely an upgrade. That is most welcome.

That said; Case stick to what you do best, super nicely turned out traditionals with excellent blade shapes, yes . . . DO . . . stick to those blade shapes. Please I beg of you.

To a knon knife manufacturing sort of fan on the side lines it all seems so obvious and simple, from a design stand point, just put good great the best steel (M4) in your lovely traditional knives that have stood the test of time (like my pile of large Trappers (including the genuine stag one). Put same in the Tribal Lock and or the Back Pocket. Heck I don't even need the lock or the pocket.

There are enough swoopy, overly pointy, thick bladed (what is the point (pardon the pun) of that thick spine with that point ? ??), . . . knives for stabbing imaginary assailants with.

Just relax and do what you do only with a glance toward "modern" metallurgy, a couple of hardness points higher;
OK four points higher. Even include a WARNING: this knife may stay sharp for more than a day or two ! Buy at your own risk. You know . . . scare people that way rather than with the point on that blade. Oh Bob no.

PS : Price be dambed.
Keep the work in the USA.
Charge what you have to.

Back