A new snake charmer

Got a new snake gun for fishing. A heck of a lot of rattlers around here. I hate carrying a 22 auto for them while fishing so I got one of Ruger's Wranglers. Feels well built. Timing is outstanding. Lock up is solid with NO movement. Should last this old fart until they slide me in the oven.

We have a fair share of rattlers here in Texas. All my .22 revivers that I carry have the first one or two chambers loaded with snake shot, depending on which one I'm carrying. The 8 shots like the S&W 63 and Ruger LCR get 2 snake loads, while the little NAA with the 5 shot cylinder gets just one.

I hate snakes!

I'll take a box full of rattlers all day over a damn sneaky cottonmouth. Hangin in the trees and such. I have had the things damn near stalk me while fishing a stock pond (tank). No gun. Was just a kid at the time.. Still hate those things. --KV

k5bTEFE.jpg

I plan on using the skin to make a sheath for my "snake charmer"
This eastern brown was in my house. One of my two Jack Russell dogs pulled it in through the dog flap.
I chopped it in my gun room. Australian law requires all guns to be locked away very securely, so there was no time to get my .410 shotgun.
Sadly it killed one of my dogs.

I hate snakes too

Reactions: 315
I dont blame you, I wouldnt think an auto would handle rat shot well...

I was always under that impression too. Snake time always carry a Smith Mod 36 with the first round snake shot. We get some big ones out at the ranch. My wife is a die hard semi auto girl and she'd always carry the first round with snake shot too. We do carry becaues of some two legged predators too and so I was telling her the snake shot was gonna jam her up that it wouldn't reliably function her semis. I stand corrected. We were at the ranch and she ran a mag through both her Shield and her Sig 365. No problems at all. Course then Sunday I'm carrying my Glock 43 (without the snake shot) and miss the first rattler I'd missed in years. Geez did I hear about it.

Last edited:
I was always under that impression too. Snake time always carry a Smith Mod 36 with the first round snake shot. We get some big ones out at the ranch. My wife is a die hard semi auto girl and she'd always carry the first round with snake shot too. We do carry becaues of some two legged predators too and so I was telling her the snake shot was gonna jam her up that it wouldn't reliably function her semis. I stand corrected. We were at the ranch and she ran a mag through both her Shield and her Sig 365. No problems at all. Course then Sunday I'm carrying my Glock 43 (without the snake shot) and miss the first rattler I'd missed in years. Geez did I hear about it.
That is why they come with a 6 shot magazine. LOL

Back