A nice surprise

A couple days ago I ordered a 65.00 cheapy Karambit from Amazon. Tonight I found out it came in. I want to say I am not at all against buying lower end knives but it is my opinion you do get what you pay for when it comes to blades. So my wife handed it to me about an hour ago and I’ve been playing with it a little. Man oh man am I really impressed so far. This blade is SHARP! I mean nasty wicked and mean sharp on both sides of the blade. It has great indexing and though a tad on the heavy side. All in all a good chunk of steel. The kydex sheath on the other hand absolutely sucks. I am hoping a little time with the heat gun tomorrow will fix that issue. It is really so far a solid purchase. I will order another one and really put some stress to it to be able to give a more honest evaluation.

2r4it1e.jpg

$65 is really quite a bit to gamble on a no-name fixed blade, but I’m glad you are generally happy with it.

Please, let us know how it stands up to usage.

I really wanted to get the Ontario Ranger EOD but there isn’t a single site where it is rated more than 3 stars and everyone has the exact same complaint. Rolled edges no edge and almost impossible to get sharp. So I figured for 65.00 why not see if I could get something worth playing with. Amazon had 70+ reviews all 3,4 and 5 stars.

I really wanted to get the Ontario Ranger EOD but there isn’t a single site where it is rated more than 3 stars and everyone has the exact same complaint. Rolled edges no edge and almost impossible to get sharp. So I figured for 65.00 why not see if I could get something worth playing with. Amazon had 70+ reviews all 3,4 and 5 stars.
I'd be a little cautious about Amazon's knife ratings . This thing has 788 reviews with overall 4.6 star rating ! :rolleyes:

what blade steel does it use?

karambits (imho) always just scream mall ninja, I'm curious if you use them as an EDC replacement & do you find them practical?
(I'm not pre-judging... if my EDC use for example included cutting a lot of rope I can see how it would be useful)

This kind of DE karambit is usually used for SD/fighting , so the steel is not very critical .

Single edged models are common utility knives in some countries .

what blade steel does it use?

karambits (imho) always just scream mall ninja, I'm curious if you use them as an EDC replacement & do you find them practical?
(I'm not pre-judging... if my EDC use for example included cutting a lot of rope I can see how it would be useful)

I actually became very accustomed to using them while studying Krav Maga in a far away land as a offensive/defensive weapon. It won’t be my EDC within the U.S. but I have found the Karambit has it’s place among my gear when I am at work. I do practice continually with them as I do all my weapons. A mechanic can look at a bolt and know what wrench to use, a computer guy can read code..... I am a professional soldier for hire and the just like anyone else with a profession I select, practice and do my best to master all the tools of my trade. I absolutely agree that “mall ninjas” are as common as Super SEAL Ranger Green Beret Special Forces Sniper CIA Assassins. I just happen to have a unique profession that I do my best to excel at.

I train with karambits , just for fun mostly , but closest thing to a karambit I ever carry in public is a Cold Steel Black Talon 2 . The top most here :

Did you know I have never owned a Cold Steel knife? I took the owners son in law Hog Hunting on a guided hunt he was really nice. I should break down and buy a couple and test them out. Do they hold an edge well?

Yup, way too much of a risk factor when it concerns SD.
So Yeah, The usual unexpected lock failures WSHTF,
slower reaction times involved with speed opening and
immediate deployment.
Factor in moving parts which will give rise to
eventual malfunction at some point.
Fixed blade is "on the money"
no matter the price :)

... if my EDC use for example included cutting a lot of rope I can see how it would be useful)

If your EDC use included cutting a lot of rope you would be much better served with a fully serrated blade. If you want to do anything else but rope, then go with a leaf shaped blade (some belly there for other cutting tasks). If not, and only for rope work, stick to a hawkbill shape. Think Spyderco Spyderhawk.

Karambit, IMHO, is only for self defense. Nothing else.

Mikel

If I were a “professional soldier for hire“ I don’t know if I would guess on a no name $65 karambit. A true or professional should have professional grade tool....

I have hi end gear I never said I would be putting this blade in my kit for work. I own several.22 rifles as well are you suggesting I would utilize one of them at work? Hey I have a drill press should I throw that in a carry on and take it with me? Do you you have any other ingenious suggestions there super trooper? I am all ears there pro please enlighten me about your vast knowledge of warfare and essential equipment needed. Let me guess you had flat feet and couldn’t serve..... eat your Cheetos and leave big boy conversations to those who earn their money doing what they’re best at.

I am not sure why you are attacking me. I only said if I were in your shoes I wouldn’t put my life on a $65 piece.
And a word of advice- don’t be so quick to run your mouth when you have NO IDEA who I am or what I have done. YOU SHOULD JUST THANK ME FOR MY SERVICE AND MOVE ALONG.

Are you referring to the Row house near the town on the river? Or the make believe “boat house” question that everyone try’s to use to trip up SAS soldiers? Or the yellow brick and white boat house that again isn’t a boat house at the farm and is where the dive teams learn to carry zodiacs over there heads? Or maybe the “boat house” bar and grill in Belize ?

I am not sure why you are attacking me. I only said if I were in your shoes I wouldn’t put my life on a $65 piece.
And a word of advice- don’t be so quick to run your mouth when you have NO IDEA who I am or what I have done. YOU SHOULD JUST THANK ME FOR MY SERVICE AND MOVE ALONG.

Fair enough but you should have read my actual post stating I spent a measly 65 bucks for something to play around with and to my surprise it wasn’t money wasted from my initial impression. Before using quotation marks. If you served then good for you if you were a combat trooper then we share a bond wrong foot or not. If you weren’t well support guys are just as important as fighters......

Back