A one day slip joint

I challenged myself to make a slip joint, from start to finish, in a single day. Technically, most of my single blade knives are done in about 24 hours, but that is spread out over a week minimum. I actually made this over the weekend, but decided to post it today.

I had some black walnut that i had been storing for a while and just hadnt used. Seemed as good a time as any to use it. If i could rewind, i would have chosen something else. I dont like the surface cracks. I also meant to use a smaller pin in the top middle, but accidentally drilled the wrong sized hole and had to go with it.

All the material was cut of bar or sheet stock. I did all the heat treating. I did all the fitting and gluing and sanding and inlaying. From raw materials to this, nothing premade, in one day. About 15 hours. Sort of a slip joint version of FiF.

Closed length 3.5"
Edge length 2.625"
O-1 steel
Brass liners
Nickel silver pins, shield, and bolster

aigMOB6.jpg

kOmuYlq.jpg

FMqcTNL.jpg

9wwC97A.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could pull off a knife like that over the weekend! You did a great job with it.

It’s always ill advised to rush just to prove it can be done...silly errors occur that normal wouldn’t be made...
Pointing out the pin size I really would not have noticed...it’s the actual placement that throws off the aesthetics.

Looks good! I started out building multiple fixed blades or 1-2 slipjoints per day. Now it takes me one - two weeks to build a slipjoint.

Someone at work said that my paring knife was "menacing". I'm tempted to casually peel my apple with a karambit...

When i bought my house, i invited coworkers over for a BBQ. While tending the smoker, one coworker went into my garage and found several 5 gallon buckets full of gun range brass. She was so uncomfortable she had to leave. To be scared of metal in a bucket, what a sad existence.

Back