A one off WIP for Blade.

Sometimes I just want to do one off designs. Often they are designed based on a piece of material I have, or something like that.

This time, it was based on an peice of Ed Schempp damascus steel. 1084/15n20 Turkish Twist Damascus with a core of radials.

Anyways, here we go.

Starting with the blank steel.

IMG_0096.jpg

Gotta get it flat.

IMG_0095.jpg

Off the Surface grinder, and cleaned up on the disc.

IMG_0097.jpg

It seems I forgot to photograph anything else on the blade till it was profiled and spot drilled. So, here it is!

IMG_0098.jpg

Old school style cutting of titanium. IE Drill a bunch of holes. Pattern layed out on titanium liners.

IMG_0104.jpg

Holes drilled, profiling.

IMG_0105.jpg

Basic profiles done and ready, stop pin locations set on blade as well.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Thats all for now, this is gonna be a little at a time, cause I have alot of other cool stuff going on for blade.

Thanks guys!

Cool Thread

I wonder why not cut the Ti? I figure the way you did it is how it must be done

Looks great so far, thanks for taking time to do this, especially when you're crazy busy preparing for the Blade show...

Cool Thread

I wonder why not cut the Ti? I figure the way you did it is how it must be done

I dont have a good method at my own shop to cut titanium, so although its an odd and annoying method. I can do it at home... hench holes, lots of them. Its actually really quick.

Just get a 14 teeth per inch or more for your band saw if you have one and away you go, real easy like. I usually use a high speed band saw but had a guide break on me and have gone to one with trhe regular speeds of cutting.I hope this helps. . It does a good job as well. Frank

Time for some bolsters.

IMG_0110-1.jpg

IMG_0111-1.jpg

Backspacer time!

IMG_0112.jpg

I really wanted some pivot rings around the pivot, and pivot screw. I wander how many times I can use the word pivot in a sentence.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115-1.jpg

Started to shape the bolsters, and cut the bolster shape.

IMG_0116-1.jpg

Its starting to get interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Got alot done yesterday and it seems my camera either wasnt working right or I screw something up, but it didnt take any of the photos of making the scales, or heat treating the blade. But alas, I did get some!

So, cutting the lock!

IMG_0121.jpg

After heat treat I barrel lap the pivot out to perfect size, it also leaves silky smooth finish.

IMG_0209.jpg

Time for a pocket clip!

IMG_0221.jpg

starting to get it shaped correctly.

You can also see the lovely Macassar Ebony scales I made for it.

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

Ready for some anodizing. I also tapped the pocketclip into the backspacer for a extra strength.

IMG_0224.jpg

Doing some turning on the thumbstud, and a little preview pic.

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

All finish!

Let me know what you guys think!

Ed Schempp damascus blade, Chad Nichols Damascus bolsters, Macascar Ebony scales, titanium linerlock, with titanium backspacer and clip!

oneoff.jpg

oneoff2.jpg

oneoff3.jpg

oneoff4.jpg

Back