A quest for my ideal Stockman

A few folks have mentioned the condition where the sheepfoot blade extends out fairly far when folded. I read somewhere (maybe here?) the reason is to assist in opening the sheepfoot blade while wearing gloves.

The extended sheepfoot blade bothers me too. I am certainly not a knife expert but on several stockman knives I carefully filed or ground off the blade nick next to the hinge to allow the blade to fold a little farther. The folded position can be adjusted until the sharp edge hits something else.

I adjusted two Tidioutes and two Case sheepfoot blades. For each one the blade was adjusted to locate the nail nick just above the spey blade for convenient access, but the sharp edge did not contact anything else.

It is a simple adjustment but I take it very slow so as not to go too far. All my knives are users so I have no concerns modifying a knife to make it more useful.

However, is there something that I not considering? Am I causing some other damage?

Lowering the kick can drop the spring below the level of the frame when the blades are closed. A minor consideration to me, but it may bother some others. I've lowered the kick on dozens of knives.

Ah, I did not consider that effect. On the Tidioute I am carrying today the spring is not lowered below the frame.

Something to keep in mind though.

Craig, with the nail nick usually 5-10 times the distance from the pivot that the kick is, dropping the nick a full 1/8 inch only drops the kick about a 64th. I can live with that!

Shortening the nick has worked well for my stockman. In the future I will be more aware of that consequence though. Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bear & Son stockman, 3.75" closed?

From the photo I cannot tell if it is flat ground or hollow ground.

I am wondering if it might be a decent EDC beater for the price.

Upon closer inspection I see that in fact the springs are now lower than the frame for the blades that I lowered. Only a tiny amount. Very difficult to see but drag a fingernail across and can feel it.

Also I recall lowering the spey blade first then lowering the sheepfoot to make both as compact as possible.

Any other experience with B0ear & Son knives?

I’ve owned a Bear & Son 3-7/8” Stockman for a number of years (6 or so). It has stainless steel blades and back springs; the walk and talk is good, the overall fit and finish of the knife is fair. It is stoutly constructed and while not a thing of beauty it is certainly a functional pocketknife. I bought it to keep in my waterfowl blindbag, with a stainless steel build it’s perfect for the job. If it accidentally falls in the water I won’t be out as much money as I would with an old Case or Buck - my EDC’s of choice. OH

I cannot tell from the photos, does the Bear & Son stockman have flat ground or hollow ground blades?

I’m at a crossroads on the clip blades that Case uses in their stockmans. I love the look of a nice full clip blade with swedge. But after extensively using the 6318 style Turkish clip, it really does work remarkably well. It’s an outstanding blade for cleaning trout. It also has a wonderfully thin grind. Not too much upsweep at the tip either. Case somehow even managed to put the nail nick decently far down the blade, so it isn’t too terribly hard to open. The 6318 Turkish clip is functionally outstanding.

My personal favorite is the 3318PU punch stockman in yellow Delrin with CV clip and sheepsfoot blades. I pretty much like every Case stockman I buy, but the Case punch is really, really nice.

B3ccJl7h.jpg
Good Gawd Buzz! You may just have posted up a pic of what I would consider to be the ultimate Stockman. Any ideas on where I can find this exact knife/configuration?

Good Gawd Buzz! You may just have posted up a pic of what I would consider to be the ultimate Stockman. Any ideas on where I can find this exact knife/configuration?

That is the ultimate stockman blade config. That Case is disco'd, but the Schrade 36OT is similar with clip, punch, and sheepsfoot.

Edit to add: I've seen a couple of old Bulldogs online at a decent price, but have been unwilling to take the risk of celluloid covers. If it's a user and won't be stored with collectibles ...

Last edited:
That is the ultimate stockman blade config. That Case is disco'd, but the Schrade 36OT is similar with clip, punch, and sheepsfoot.

There is also the last version of the schrade 899 which has a clip, sheepsfoot and punch. This version was made from around 1974 to 1986 when the pattern was discontinued. The 36ot was only made from 1990-1992 and is somewhat tough to find considering it's not very old.

I read the Bear & Son web site a bit more carefully. The 3" and 3 7/8" stockman have hollow ground clip blades. The 3 1/4" has taper ground.

Sure wish they had a 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 with flat (taper) ground blades.

My quest continues...

In my quest I have been using several stockman knives. All my knives are users by the way.

Tidioute Calf Roper: I believe it is a 2017. 3.4” closed, carbon steel blades, ebony covers. This is a very well-proportioned knife. The flat ground blade shapes are proportioned very nicely in my opinion, though I would prefer a pen instead of a spey blade. The sheepfoot blade extended out too far so I lowered spey blade a little and the sheepfoot a bit more. The carbon steel blades are fine with me except when I use them for food prep, I prefer stainless steel. The springs are a bit weak but not excessively so. The covers are rounded as well as the ends making it a pleasure to hold and use and makes it pocket friendly. The exposed hinge end of the closed blades has sharp corners making it not so pleasant to grip. There are no stylistic embellishments, so it does not look fancy which I like very much. Overall I like this knife very much.

Queen Stockman: not sure what year but probably made not long before closing, I bought it several months after Queen Cutlery closed. 4” closed, stainless steel blades, rosewood covers. Also well proportioned blades, flat ground, a bit longer than the Tidioute, which is helpful for food prep. The spey and sheepfoot could be lowered a little but I have not done that yet. I did find a few tiny rust spots on the stainless steel blades. The springs are a bit weak but not excessively so. As with the Tidioute I like the simple styling. The exposed hinge end of the closed blades has sharp corners making it not so pleasant to grip. The final grinding of the frame was performed very poorly, like maybe someone was learning how to do that job. The ends are not a smooth transition from the radius to the back or front edge of the frame and are lopsided. The back has some low areas, not a smooth flowing surface from end to end. Functionally it works well, the fit & finish is embarrassing for such a company so highly regarded as Queen, though I have read a number of accounts of this type of problems in the last few years they were in business.

Case 6347 Stockman: 3 7/8” closed, stainless steel blades, 3 springs, amber peach seed covers. The hollow ground blades are all thinner than the other knives but due to the 3 spring arrangement they are not bent. My guess is that even though they are thinner, under hard use they would perform well because they are not bent. The springs have a nice strength, not too little or too much. The blades appear to have been tumble polished quite a bit so the exposed hinge end of the closed blades do not have sharp corners and is much more pleasant to hold than the Tidioute or Queen. I am a sucker for the Case amber peach seed covers. This would likely be my favorite if the blades were flat ground.

Camillus 711 Yello-Jaket Stockman: 3 7/8” closed, stainless steel blades, yellow Delrin covers. This arrived just yesterday but already I am loving it. Not sure how old but it is NOS. Fit & finish is better than I expected. As with the others the blade shapes are well proportioned. (I guess I am mostly thinking of the clip blades, I do not like the Turkish clip, looks like it has already been sharpened 1000 times.) One difference from all the others is that the spey and sheepfoot blades are tucked in tightly. The sheepfoot just barely peaks above the clip when closed. This is my first knife with a nail slot on the clip, it works very well though if making a slot it should have a rough surface for striking a match on! Another difference is that the blades are all a little thicker than any of the other knives. The blades are bent just right so there is no blade rub, but not much spare between them either. I am extremely impressed with this knife. It may well become my nearly ideal favorite most carried knife. Such a shame Camillus is out of business.

Status of my quest:

I carried the Case for a while and thought it would become my EDC except I realized that I really like flat grind blades. Maybe I am too picky but when cutting an apple the hollow grind will not cut straight and that just annoys me. The Tidioute is so close to ideal, I could accept the shorter blade but I like stainless steel for food prep. The Queen is also very close but the poor finish grinding shows a lack of pride in workmanship and sours me on it even though overall it is a good knife. At this point (just one day of use) I think the Camillus will be my EDC. But I have said that sort of thing before only to then get a new knife….

So I will finish with one question, do all Case stockman knives have hollow ground blades? The Case 6347 with flat ground blades would steal my heart!

Sorry for such a long post. You folks mostly know all that I have just describe. I guess I am processing my own thoughts.

Might be a never ending quest………..

I believe Case is one of the few who use hollow ground blades. Flat grind is pretty common.

In my quest I have been using several stockman knives. All my knives are users by the way.

Tidioute Calf Roper: I believe it is a 2017. 3.4” closed, carbon steel blades, ebony covers. This is a very well-proportioned knife. The flat ground blade shapes are proportioned very nicely in my opinion, though I would prefer a pen instead of a spey blade. The sheepfoot blade extended out too far so I lowered spey blade a little and the sheepfoot a bit more. The carbon steel blades are fine with me except when I use them for food prep, I prefer stainless steel. The springs are a bit weak but not excessively so. The covers are rounded as well as the ends making it a pleasure to hold and use and makes it pocket friendly. The exposed hinge end of the closed blades has sharp corners making it not so pleasant to grip. There are no stylistic embellishments, so it does not look fancy which I like very much. Overall I like this knife very much.

Queen Stockman: not sure what year but probably made not long before closing, I bought it several months after Queen Cutlery closed. 4” closed, stainless steel blades, rosewood covers. Also well proportioned blades, flat ground, a bit longer than the Tidioute, which is helpful for food prep. The spey and sheepfoot could be lowered a little but I have not done that yet. I did find a few tiny rust spots on the stainless steel blades. The springs are a bit weak but not excessively so. As with the Tidioute I like the simple styling. The exposed hinge end of the closed blades has sharp corners making it not so pleasant to grip. The final grinding of the frame was performed very poorly, like maybe someone was learning how to do that job. The ends are not a smooth transition from the radius to the back or front edge of the frame and are lopsided. The back has some low areas, not a smooth flowing surface from end to end. Functionally it works well, the fit & finish is embarrassing for such a company so highly regarded as Queen, though I have read a number of accounts of this type of problems in the last few years they were in business.

Case 6347 Stockman: 3 7/8” closed, stainless steel blades, 3 springs, amber peach seed covers. The hollow ground blades are all thinner than the other knives but due to the 3 spring arrangement they are not bent. My guess is that even though they are thinner, under hard use they would perform well because they are not bent. The springs have a nice strength, not too little or too much. The blades appear to have been tumble polished quite a bit so the exposed hinge end of the closed blades do not have sharp corners and is much more pleasant to hold than the Tidioute or Queen. I am a sucker for the Case amber peach seed covers. This would likely be my favorite if the blades were flat ground.

Camillus 711 Yello-Jaket Stockman: 3 7/8” closed, stainless steel blades, yellow Delrin covers. This arrived just yesterday but already I am loving it. Not sure how old but it is NOS. Fit & finish is better than I expected. As with the others the blade shapes are well proportioned. (I guess I am mostly thinking of the clip blades, I do not like the Turkish clip, looks like it has already been sharpened 1000 times.) One difference from all the others is that the spey and sheepfoot blades are tucked in tightly. The sheepfoot just barely peaks above the clip when closed. This is my first knife with a nail slot on the clip, it works very well though if making a slot it should have a rough surface for striking a match on! Another difference is that the blades are all a little thicker than any of the other knives. The blades are bent just right so there is no blade rub, but not much spare between them either. I am extremely impressed with this knife. It may well become my nearly ideal favorite most carried knife. Such a shame Camillus is out of business.

Status of my quest:

I carried the Case for a while and thought it would become my EDC except I realized that I really like flat grind blades. Maybe I am too picky but when cutting an apple the hollow grind will not cut straight and that just annoys me. The Tidioute is so close to ideal, I could accept the shorter blade but I like stainless steel for food prep. The Queen is also very close but the poor finish grinding shows a lack of pride in workmanship and sours me on it even though overall it is a good knife. At this point (just one day of use) I think the Camillus will be my EDC. But I have said that sort of thing before only to then get a new knife….

So I will finish with one question, do all Case stockman knives have hollow ground blades? The Case 6347 with flat ground blades would steal my heart!

Sorry for such a long post. You folks mostly know all that I have just describe. I guess I am processing my own thoughts.

Might be a never ending quest………..

I'm pretty sure that the 6347 is hollow ground, not that I mind Case's hollow grinds. They tend to be ground thinner than other manufacturer's stockmans, which I greatly prefer.

The Camillus 711 is indeed an excellent knife. I don't have one anymore, but I do still have a Camillus-manufactured Buck 301, which is essentially the same knife, but with cooler bolsters and a beautifully swedged clip blade.

G10rbBBh.jpg

MTehzdWh.jpg

Back