A question about a some ammo and a gun.

If you're limited in the number of rounds go for a bigger punch.

Are lever action guns restricted?

Just a thought- Get a 10 round lever action and a corresponding revolver in .357 magnum or something? Something solidly legal without question or threat of banning- if possible.

If you're limited in the number of rounds go for a bigger punch.

Are lever action guns restricted?

Just a thought- Get a 10 round lever action and a corresponding revolver in .357 magnum or something? Something solidly legal without question or threat of banning- if possible.

Walk into the Cabela's store near you and you'll see that a good .357 lever gun or revolver are EACH more expensive than a decent AR.

Wife and I lived in CA back when I was in the military. Being from the PNW, we enjoyed the weather, beaches, novelty stuff...

For awhile.

When we left Cali, we left that state with smiles on our faces and never looked back. We were just done with it.

Time to fall in love with a really cool scattergun I suppose.

Both calipers are, and will be, readily available, and relatively affordable, for the foreseeable future. The question you're really asking though is - AR or AK.... And the answer is that it really depends on what you want out of such a toy.

AK's (half-descent ones, anyway) are known for being bullet proof (no pun intended). You can drop them in the mud, leave them there for a week or two, run 'em over with your truck, pick them up again, and they'll go bang every time. They'll eat any cheap, corroded ammo you feed them, and you can hold them above your head and scream "Wolverines" after defeating a squad of invading Commies with your high school football buddies :D But they are a bit crude and basic (admittedly by design), unsophisticated, and won't win any beauty contests anytime soon.

AR's on the other hand, are a bit more sophisticated. You can get one at any price point you want, made out of basic earthly metals, or uranium coated, non-stick unobtainium if you have the cash. And their modularity means you can make them anything you want - from a short, fast, urban combat, M4 clone, to a match grade, 1000yd, fly swatter. There is quite literally nothing you can't build an AR to do - and all off of the same lower receiver if you want. But they do require a little bit more maintenance. You can run'em dirty, but NOT dry. And all the options for buying or building one just boggle the mind. There are a thousand manufacturers out there, making a million different parts. Even if you're buying a complete gun, you can get easily overwhelmed with options and price points.

Me personally, I like the AR. Both are proven weapons, but I'm a tinkerer, and like the modularity of the AR. It's also one of the most common rifles in the US. So should SHTF, spare parts and .223/5.56 would be much easier to find. And, it's just a bad-ass platform that's more fun than legal in some blue states.

As for the High-Point carbine....
If you're looking at it over an AR or AK, buy the Ar or AK. That said, it's a decent, pistol caliber carbine - especially for the price. I don't personally own one, but my father has one in .40, and a friend has on in 9mm. They are blocky, overbuilt, have poor fit and finish, and just plain ugly. But they work. I've seen very little complaints on functionality, and the two I've a chance to shoot, repeatedly, have shot flawlessly, and surprisingly accurate. If you decide to buy one, I'd go 9mm just for the price of ammo alone.

Good luck with your choice...

I own a Hi-Point 995TS 9mm carbine, although it has been disassembled for the past two years or so, its parts sitting in a cardboard box. When I bought it, there was a bright orange card tucked into the box stating that using aftermarket high-capacity mags (15-round ProMag being the only option at the time) would void the warranty. Well, I ignored that, and after several years of fairly frequent shooting, my carbine developed feeding issues. I sent two of the ProMags in for warranty replacement, thinking it was just the two most recent mags that caused the problems, but I soon was having feed problems even with the factory 10-round Hi-Point mags. I tore the Hi-Point apart for "deep cleaning" (not recommended per people smarter than me) and never got around to it or put it back together. I got into the AR platform and never looked back. It has been suggested to me to send it in for warranty service anyway and hope for the best, but I'm too lazy to be 100% honest.

However, if I lived in California, the Hi-Point carbine line would be worth further investigation. Stick to the factory mags. It is an accurate gun, not picky about ammo (including hollow-point) and performs better than the price would suggest.

I wanted something for self defense in the house that any one could handle. I figured a 9mm out of a longer barrel would be what will work great. Good for 100 meters should be good stopping power and easy to handle. Something to keep in the house just in case But I want it to shoot every time I pull the trigger. As for the AK AR both have cons and pros and I thought it would be cool to have something with a little extra kick to it. It's same as the Chevy vs Ford . Lets be realistic I'm not going to war or being in a movie with the walking dead. With so many different AR's out there I got no idea what is good what is bad, The prices are all over the place. makes you wonder will buying the lower priced one be a waste of money? will the quality be good.
But its good to have something at home or something small like a hand gun to carry.
Inazone thanks for the info I think that I will I will go for one as the price is right and ammo is cheap. Did you find any larger mags that will fit the Hi-Point??

Get a 12 gauge first. They'll probably let you keep that one for a while. Then get the hell out, asap.

Also, remember that, in a home self defense situation over penetration should be avoided as it irritates the neighbors. Your military rifle rounds have a greater potential for over penetration. Even the 9mm can travel through several walls if it misses the studs. You will need special ammo in the calibers you are discussing to avoid this issue and they might not cycle the action on a semi auto.

Walk into the Cabela's store near you and you'll see that a good .357 lever gun or revolver are EACH more expensive than a decent AR.

Time to fall in love with a really cool scattergun I suppose.

Time to shop a different store. A Henry and a Ruger will run a bit over a grand for both plus tax.
Of course, a Mossburg with an extra barrel can be had for @ $400. Or maybe less.

Guys here in CA everything is more expensive . I will put the shotgun for later as I can get one any time.
I'm planning on going to the store and check things out next week.
I got this some listing for a sale in a store not too far from me. what do you guys think would be a good choice. Price is a consideration so I don't want to spend 2,000-$4,000 on a rifle.
What you guys think of the century arms AK?

Here are some choices I got .

https://www.turners.com/info/msr-extravagunza-1#.WBqmSoWcFPY

It seems to me that it may not be worth the hassle to own an AR15 or AK47 type rifle in the PRK. Keep in mind that you will have to register your shiny new assault rifle and be restricted as to what you can do with it. If you are insisting on a semi-auto rifle, you might consider a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30. Forget the "tactical" versions. The standard rifles without a pistol grip and flash hider should be safe......for now.

Also, remember that, in a home self defense situation over penetration should be avoided as it irritates the neighbors. Your military rifle rounds have a greater potential for over penetration. Even the 9mm can travel through several walls if it misses the studs. You will need special ammo in the calibers you are discussing to avoid this issue and they might not cycle the action on a semi auto.

There is soft point and other types of ammo in .223/5.56 that will penetrate much less then any 9mm/40/.45/12g will. .223 is such a small bullet moving at such a fast speed that with certain types of ammo the round instantly fragments as soon as it hits the first layer of dry wall and only ends up penetrating 1 or 2 walls. Even 9mm JHP or FMJ will penetrate much further. .45 especially will sail right through multiple walls. Technically, if over penetration is a concern then specific types of .223 are the best option -- however shooting any .223 inside without ear protection is very, very bad. Same goes for the other rounds mentioned as well but .223 is even louder. Having electronic ear pro near by is definitely a good idea... takes away the loud noises but you can still hear normal stuff.

The mini 14/30 is not my top choice as I didn't like the feel of it. What can I say I do like the pistol grip. But will get it if all else fails.
I'm not concerned with the over penetration with where I live now.
The more I think about it the more I think a good 9mm carbine might be all I need. I thought about getting a 9mm and something with more power and kick. But I wonder if Its the best choice or just get a Glock to go with it. have both use the same mags.
Or just get an AR. But there are so many choices in AR build, that you don't know which way to go. with so many choices its hard to make a choice.
In reality I hope would never use it for anything else but target shooting.
It might be a better idea to shoot your self in the head, then having to deal with the attorneys and the courts to prove you had to use the gun for self defense.

The mini 14/30 is not my top choice as I didn't like the feel of it. What can I say I do like the pistol grip. But will get it if all else fails.
I'm not concerned with the over penetration with where I live now.
The more I think about it the more I think a good 9mm carbine might be all I need. I thought about getting a 9mm and something with more power and kick. But I wonder if Its the best choice or just get a Glock to go with it. have both use the same mags.
Or just get an AR. But there are so many choices in AR build, that you don't know which way to go. with so many choices its hard to make a choice.
In reality I hope would never use it for anything else but target shooting.
It might be a better idea to shoot your self in the head, then having to deal with the attorneys and the courts to prove you had to use the gun for self defense.

The Just Right Carbine or JRC 9mm is decent. They have a NY safe act complaint one but as for CA I don't know... you would have to look into them. Also you have the keltec sub 2000 which is alright. It's cool that it folds but it has some issues. They have a newer Gen 2 that is a little better.

To answer the original question and attempt to stay on topic, I would go with a .223/5.56. In my particular case, even my AK uses .223.

Personally, if I were in your position, especially where you live, I would buy a 357 revolver. Why? Two reasons. One- Because you would likely be able to enjoy it for a much longer period and still be able to legally use it for protection- at least until Cali won't allow you to protect yourself anymore. Two- You can load it with 38, 38+P, and 357 as long as you are prepared to keep the cylinder clean. My mother shoots a 38 without any issues and she doesn't weigh 120 soaking wet, so I would consider that to be a firearm that "everyone in the house" can shoot and control. Plus, you get the benefit of a much more powerful firearm, should you need or want it since you aren't concerned with over-penetration.

Somebody on this thread mentioned that a 357 revolver can cost as much as an AR. Be that as it may, which is more likely to become a problem legally where you live? I would much rather have a $700 revolver that will be one of the last things to get the political axe than an AR or semi auto that I may only be able to enjoy for a very limited duration. Of course the political axe still may have an affect on every firearm before it's said and done. Thankfully, I live somewhere that doesn't require worrying about such things yet.
I'm just playing devils advocate and offering something to think about. Best of luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

I got a ruger G100 in .357 love it and everyone who shoots it loves it as well. Its my go to when backpacking or out when I feel I need something. Its heavy and shots better then me.

My next rifle will be a lever action .357.

Picked up the revolver last year. A little steampunk raygun.

1eiGxCt.jpg

5.56 will typically be cheaper and more widely available. Just Google: 5.56 bulk ammo and pick the site with the best price, pick paypal for checkout (for security), wait for your 50lb box of ammo to show up, and enjoy!

My next rifle will be a lever action .357.

Picked up the revolver last year. A little steampunk raygun.

1eiGxCt.jpg

Nice Smith. For a .357 long gun, have you considered a nice bolt action? Ruger is getting rid of the 77/357 - a superb firearm. You might be able to find one at a discount.

20161103_102350_zpszgszszfm.jpg

Back