A question about a some ammo and a gun.

Nice Smith. For a .357 long gun, have you considered a nice bolt action? Ruger is getting rid of the 77/357 - a superb firearm. You might be able to find one at a discount.

Going by a gun store next week, I'll ask if they have one.

Hey guys sorry for all those questions. Went to a store that a friend said is ran by a great guy. Its a one man show in a tiny shop max 3-4 people can walk in and its tight.
Seems that the only other guys there are the ones who are full blown into guns. Guy has very small number of guns to show. Most people that I seen there knew what they want. The guy seems very down to earth easy to talk to and don't mind if you ask lots of questions. Well for AR the lowest priced one he has was a colt at $1200. He said he wont deal with others like smith & Wesson or Ruger. Said the quality is not worth the money even at the price they sell. Of course he let me handle some $5,000 AR. That AR felt sooo good would just fall into your hand and fit so right.
He don't mind if you touch and even would just pull a gun out and let you feel it with out you even asking for it.
Funny thing is that for a Russian guy he is not into the AKs, said in CA there is not much we can do with it. For a good one and still comply with the law its about 1,800. The cheap ones would shoot no matter what and never jam but they are not what the AK should be.

Ok my question is the colt worth the 1200 or I should go with the ruger or smith and Wesson at around $700-800?? I didn't plan on spending so much money. But rather not buy something I wont be happy with just cause I want to save money. He doesn't sell the guns cheaper then others but when you talk to him it feels like you talk to a friend no pushing and zero sales pressure. It feels like all he does is try and help you and answer your questions.

GF was looking at Glocks, He looked at her holding it and ask does she like it. she didn't answer so he reach under the glass got something better to fit her hand. He didn't like how she held the gun. Gave her the smith and Wesson shield 9mm. she said that gun felt just right in her hand, She has small hands. He said he could see how she holds the guns he gave her and how they fit her hand. so he thought this will be the better fit. Said if the gun don't fit right she will never shoot well and would hate it. She purchased her first gun lol.

What I liked was the Chiappa Triple Barrel Shotgun. Made me feel like a pirate when I held that one in my hand. If I had the money I would have gotten it right there. Just think of three barrel shotgun pointing at you out the window lol.

Depends on what the Colt is. It could be a 6920 which is one of their most popular "M4" copies. It is indeed a very good AR -- but to say that other brands suck is a little bit of gun store salesman bias. The 6920 is going for $900-$1050 online from what I can see. If it IS a 6920 that he has then I'd say it's a little over priced.

Here is the 6920. This one is not CA complaint though... maybe that would add more $ to the price for extra work needed

http://www.impactguns.com/colt-m4-carbine-6920-ar15-16in-6920.aspx

And the M&P Shield is a very nice handgun. It is a perfect carry gun or just an all around good gun for a female or someone with small hands. Good choice.

Also, be aware that you can shoot both .223 and 5.56 out of a gun chambered for 5.56, but should only shoot .223 out of a gun chambered for .223

You should try to shoot what the gun is stamped for if possible but it's ok to do with a 5.56 gun and the only type I will buy. Not sure what I would do in PRK but I would like an AR for the range and a SHTF situation. Though I don't know what would be worse, being murdered or spending the rest of your life in prison and it's complete BS that you even have to contemplate that decision. For home protection I think I would rather have something else but that's just my opinion and what I'm comfortable with.

It was the 6920 chambered 5.56 I just don't know if its worth the extra 500 over the S&W $700. It wouldn't have been my choice for right now except by the end of the year it will get very restricted and more rules will be applied. I would like something before all the rules go into effect. Thank you guys for the answer I can feel better about going after the less pricey gun.

My GF cant wait to go shoot her new first gun that she owns. Before she always shot someone else gun. Looking to buy bulk ammo as well as I know she will shoot the snoot out of it.

Yes its a shame you are afraid to defend your self from the consequence of he law and our justice system. By the time they are done with you, Its better off to let the criminal just shoot you. I know I do exaggerate a little but I seen it happen.

It was the 6920 chambered 5.56 I just don't know if its worth the extra 500 over the S&W $700. It wouldn't have been my choice for right now except by the end of the year it will get very restricted and more rules will be applied. I would like something before all the rules go into effect. Thank you guys for the answer I can feel better about going after the less pricey gun.

My GF cant wait to go shoot her new first gun that she owns. Before she always shot someone else gun. Looking to buy bulk ammo as well as I know she will shoot the snoot out of it.

Yes its a shame you are afraid to defend your self from the consequence of he law and our justice system. By the time they are done with you, Its better off to let the criminal just shoot you. I know I do exaggerate a little but I seen it happen.

It is not worth an extra $500. With Colt you're paying for the Pony. The Colt image and brand name I mean. Don't get me wrong they make quality stuff and it is a nice rifle... but is it worth $500 more then a Ruger AR556 or a M&P Sport II? My answer would be no, it is not. A couple hundred more.... maybe. But not $500.

Keep in mind that whatever you are going to do, you better do it before Jan. 1, 2017. After that, you will not be able to buy an AR in the PRK.

Have you read SB880? If not, you better understand what it does.

Converge thank you for your answer that's what I were needed to know. Someone who knows about AR as I know close to nothing.

UffDa That's why I'm out buying the AR if not I would have waited longer.

sometimes were there are so many different options out there its hard to know which one will work better for me.

Thank you guys for your help.

I would be comfortable buying any of the big name guns, especially in the $700+ range that aren't the absolute bottom tier. Though I haven't looked at factory guns lately and not sure which S&W you're looking at. But they should be reliable and have a good enough warranty to get it running if it does somehow make it out with an issue. Once you have one and start learning about them you can make more informed purchases in the future.

I don't know the laws and what will be coming into effect. But even if you can't buy in PRK, you should be able to buy what you are planning now but out of state and bring it back in if you are willing to own whatever you are planning now.

Any AR you get should be reliable and if not it should only need some minor gun smithing to get any gun reliable. And if something were to break, you can get a part anywhere and likely drop it in yourself. There are only a few things you probably wouldn't want to do yourself. Just my opinion. Buy what you like and can afford and again, a big company shouldn't have much to worry about. Better to get something now while you can so you have something and then worry about other options down the road.

You may also want to look at buying ammo now if you want to buy in bulk on the internet for the best price. I don't know the laws but most places have notes about shipping to certain states and I also don't know how that will change. But it can't hurt to get as much as you can to stock pile. I would buy the cheapest stuff you can find as I've never had ammo that is just not worth shooting, especially if not buying a super accurate high end gun. Some guns do like certain ammo and are more accurate with it. But having cheap stuff to shoot is nice when you just want to go shoot. If the ammo is mil-spec I don't worry about buying it. If a great deal comes up on steel case ammo I don't mind shooting it either but plan on a good cleaning afterwards.

I'm not a gun expert but have been shooting my whole life since I was 7. Just my experience after being around and shooting lots of guns. High end guns are nice and pretty to look at but I like an AR around the $1k price point as they shoot fine and I'm not worried about taking them out and shoot them.

Good luck whatever you choose but pick something from the sounds of it.

Back