A Question for The Leather Workers

afishhunter

Gold Member
Is the proper title of those who work with leather "Leatherwright" or "Leather Smith"?

Thank you in advance.

Either way. Wright of course means maker of but it's not really in common usage anymore. How many know I'm a maker of horses? Pretty well known horse trainer years ago. I think more folks would use and say smith over wright. Just more common today and maybe in US English. I don't use either. Folks ask me what I do I say I'm a leather craftsman.

Either way. Wright of course means maker of but it's not really in common usage anymore. How many know I'm a maker of horses? Pretty well known horse trainer years ago. I think more folks would use and say smith over wright. Just more common today and maybe in US English. I don't use either. Folks ask me what I do I say I'm a leather craftsman.
Thank you, Dave. :)
I knew you make beef, but did not know you make horses, too. :)

Oh heck yeah. I was the last stop before Alpo for a lot of horses. I didn't get the cupcakes. Wrote the book on it so to speak.

OdVLQwb.jpg

Little ol paperback that sold for $18 back in the day at my clinics. I've seen it used for $200 now on Amazon. afishhunter afishhunter

I'd go with leather worker...
Old school, my dad considered himself a wood worker... not just a carpenter or cabinet maker... he worked with wood.
But as long as they don't call us late to dinner....

I know this is a little late but this is some good info for someone wanting to market working with leather, and a fun fact. I would stay away from "leather smith" (unless you tool a lot) as the "smith" modifier is derived from the old Germanic schmied or smite meaning "to hit." So if you don't spend much time hitting your leather, it might not do as a title ;). But that is just my 2 cents.

Back