A radical theory, and leaving the world of expensive modern knives behind

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chopaholic, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    He's also an authority on sharpening as well.;)

hexenjager and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  2. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Commas are super important. As I'm sure we've all seen in other places; they're the difference between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

katanas, jdk1, James Y and 10 others like this.
  3. 21bangbang

21bangbang

Jan 19, 2019
    Training a new guy from the looks of it. Poor kid cut notches all day. I felt bad as I watched him from my warm office. He just didn't seem to be getting it. Bet he wishes he used a pocket knife :rolleyes:

Eli Chaps and colin.p like this.
  4. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Let's call it a fix instead. Tweak is what we had before. ;)

giphy (24).gif

5. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Fixed that for you.

6. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    Whooo boy this thread is destined for greatness.

While I don’t disagree with some of the OP’s opinions, the delivery of those opinions are supercilious, condescending, and sprinkled with personal righteousness.

And I don’t even know what those words mean.

One thing is for sure....

E0A7B8CA-6B99-4E8A-BB47-ECE023F9DB2E.jpeg

dc50, James Y, Lee D and 2 others like this.
  7. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    “I, am also, a professional butcher, and use, my own knives, that I, personally sharpen, for 50 hours, per week, at work.”

I prefer everything to read like Christopher Walken is also a member. It makes me feel important.

katanas, palonej, jdm61 and 7 others like this.
  8. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Well , after all this years on blade forum I found that this is only LOGICAl and true theory..........people like knives...so they buy them !!!
    Sorry guys , but nobody need super duper steel for knife .I spend maybe a third of life in nature ..most fishing and I never thought that my 2$ knife was not up to the task to cut the sausage or to cut fishing line . It never occurred to me that I need knife to start fire ?? I remember some time ago there was thread .....show wear on your knife or something like that ........It was GOOD laugh . . . . . :D
    But I understand you all , my fishing gear cost triple more then car I drive :D

Stelth likes this.
  9. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    @Lee D wins the thread. I can't top that one. :D lol

I'm out of this thread!

katanas, palonej, Lee D and 1 other person like this.
  10. JohnWE

JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013
    He was lying...pass it on.

colin.p likes this.
  11. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    i posted a link to

12. bobobama

bobobama

Jan 15, 2017
    Since this thread is never ending, I'll help keep it going.

There's an older book, "The Complete Guide to Hunting Knives" by writer and hunter Durwood Hollis. It's kind of dated but a great read nonetheless. In it he talks with a professional taxidermist about what knives he uses to cape trophy animals with. Apparently, all he uses are inexpensive German-made paring knives with stainless steels blades and thermoplastic handles. He goes on to say "And another thing about knives for trophy work, is that they don't have to be fancy. I go through a lot of knives, so I buy them by the box... If I had a bunch of showy knives around, they would either disappear, or get torn up real fast".

So, just maybe the OP's on to something.

13. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    14 pages of troll food!

Pomsbz, Mecha and Bigfattyt like this.
  14. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    True, but we really don't have anything better to do today.

palonej and Pomsbz like this.
  15. jdk1

jdk1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2010
    You could also read that like Captain Kirk, overly dramatic and staccato!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    katanas, Stelth and Danke42 like this.
  16. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

Something's missing from that this list. Can't seem to put my finger on it, but there seems to be a empty spot, a void of some sort...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    hexenjager and Bigfattyt like this.
  17. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Nice knives but they have not single ONE scratch on them ? How you know that they can slice , dice , baton................ :D Guys , life is short ...find time to spend more time in nature...............

18. xraso

xraso

Feb 11, 2014
    you might be better off using your time to make a beaver trap, and then convincing the beaver to chew the tree down for you ;)

Eli Chaps and Natlek like this.
  19. Bill3152

Bill3152

Nov 27, 2018
    There's a load of excess in everything. I don't think we need all these knives. But we work for the money. So may as well have a ball. Carbon steel is great. I love my svord and opinels. But I also love my cold steel in s35vn as well as the others. Need? Nah. Life isn't that hard thank God. I have three rat2 in d2. I don't need them. But I want them! Lol. Do your best and leave the rest. Better than smoking crack anyway. Hahahaha.

Natlek likes this.
  20. xraso

xraso

Feb 11, 2014
    For a thread that started out as a [​IMG]

Once I hit ignore on the OP, the rest of the thread actually had some interesting and thoughtful discussion :thumbsup:

colin.p likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.