A radical theory, and leaving the world of expensive modern knives behind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too sure what's up with all the notches but whatever takes up a person's time I guess...
Training a new guy from the looks of it. Poor kid cut notches all day. I felt bad as I watched him from my warm office. He just didn't seem to be getting it. Bet he wishes he used a pocket knife :rolleyes:

Whooo boy this thread is destined for greatness.

While I don’t disagree with some of the OP’s opinions, the delivery of those opinions are supercilious, condescending, and sprinkled with personal righteousness.

And I don’t even know what those words mean.

One thing is for sure....

E0A7B8CA-6B99-4E8A-BB47-ECE023F9DB2E.jpeg

Another radical theory: people like knives...so they buy them.
Well , after all this years on blade forum I found that this is only LOGICAl and true theory..........people like knives...so they buy them !!!
Sorry guys , but nobody need super duper steel for knife .I spend maybe a third of life in nature ..most fishing and I never thought that my 2$ knife was not up to the task to cut the sausage or to cut fishing line . It never occurred to me that I need knife to start fire ?? I remember some time ago there was thread .....show wear on your knife or something like that ........It was GOOD laugh . . . . . :D
But I understand you all , my fishing gear cost triple more then car I drive :D

I would like to know where he works. I have been a meat cutter for 45 years (next month) and wages in the industry are..."modest"... to say the least. I wish I could afford a throw away knife like a CRK or a Shiro or an Olamic....

He was lying...pass it on.

Since this thread is never ending, I'll help keep it going.

There's an older book, "The Complete Guide to Hunting Knives" by writer and hunter Durwood Hollis. It's kind of dated but a great read nonetheless. In it he talks with a professional taxidermist about what knives he uses to cape trophy animals with. Apparently, all he uses are inexpensive German-made paring knives with stainless steels blades and thermoplastic handles. He goes on to say "And another thing about knives for trophy work, is that they don't have to be fancy. I go through a lot of knives, so I buy them by the box... If I had a bunch of showy knives around, they would either disappear, or get torn up real fast".

So, just maybe the OP's on to something.

“I, am also, a professional butcher, and use, my own knives, that I, personally sharpen, for 50 hours, per week, at work.”

I prefer everything to read like Christopher Walken is also a member. It makes me feel important.
You could also read that like Captain Kirk, overly dramatic and staccato!
shatner-3.jpg

Last edited:
I've battoned thousands of logs and boards into kindling. Abused some of my knives at 60RC (,so in no way a spring temper) for a a decade or more.

It is a dandy method of making small kindling without packing a hatchet or axe.

I grew up cutting trees to heat my home. Grew up felling lumber, swinging a maul to split wood, and making kindling.

I have no hesitation using many of my knives to chop, and baton...both thick and thin. Big and small.

I've used wedges to split logs before.

I've helped build multi story cabins with lumber I helped cut and shape. I have the knives inherited from my grandfather that he used to butcher farmstead animals. I still use them. I buy similar versions today.

The steel is not perfected. Thinner geometry cuts, but it needs to be sharpened more, and is not as stable, impact resistant, etc.

Super steels. New designs. Classic designs. Thick. Thinner, thicker. Hollow ground, flat ground, convex.

I've got expensive knives, and cheap. I've used $1000 Busse choppers to do all of the things you detest, while grinning. I've used cheap machetes, and axes, and hatchets. I've got a nice Japanese arborist saw.

16 inch bladed old Hickory knives too. All the way to folding opinels.

I like cutting tools. Expensive, bargain. I like them all.

I guess I am glad you've solved all knife related issues for me.

I've used too many steels to list. Tool steels, plain haight and medium carbon. 52100, L6, AEBL, INFI, San Mai laminated, CPM3v, and many many more...

But I'll keep liking what I like. Batonning when I feel like it (with knives strong enough to do it....I would not do so with my hidden tang hollow ground Buck, or my custom stag handled hunter with a thin hollow grind).

Something's missing from that this list. Can't seem to put my finger on it, but there seems to be a empty spot, a void of some sort...

Last edited:
View attachment 1086760 There are so many modern designs in great steels with top notch heat treats that aren’t to thick or obtuse. They can slice, dice, baton, pry (lightly) and precision chop without missing a beat. I like my tools to be as versatile as possible, not a one trick pony. Recently I’ve been loving my Carothers Fk2.
Nice knives but they have not single ONE scratch on them ? How you know that they can slice , dice , baton................ :D Guys , life is short ...find time to spend more time in nature...............

There's a load of excess in everything. I don't think we need all these knives. But we work for the money. So may as well have a ball. Carbon steel is great. I love my svord and opinels. But I also love my cold steel in s35vn as well as the others. Need? Nah. Life isn't that hard thank God. I have three rat2 in d2. I don't need them. But I want them! Lol. Do your best and leave the rest. Better than smoking crack anyway. Hahahaha.

For a thread that started out as a
$

Once I hit ignore on the OP, the rest of the thread actually had some interesting and thoughtful discussion :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back