A relaxed walk in the woods and some mushrooms picking...

Hi Cap’n Smudge Cap’n Smudge . Thanks! Glad you liked them :). Morels are present also here and they are very good to eat but, not knowing them well and not being able to always properly tell the “right” ones from similar species (even the poisonous ones, like Gyromitra esculenta), I leave them alone :D. They make a good subject for photographs though! They look a bit like “alien creatures” :D, if I might say so; very photogenic :thumbsup:!

Are all of these edible? I wish I knew more about mushrooms in the wild. I love them but am afraid I would poison myself.
I feel the same way. I know very few mushrooms that I can identify positively and are safe to eat. So, I just "don't". I leave them for someone else more knowledgeable. I have several mushroom identification books. Sometimes the diferences between safe to consume and poisonous is thin.

As usual, Herlock, I enjoy your pictures and get to see the same area in different seasons.

Hi!

Cap’n Smudge Cap’n Smudge : Thanks for interesting and instructive link :):thumbsup:!

22-rimfire 22-rimfire : Thanks :)! True, the changing of the seasons up there can really transform the landscape and, even when hiking the same trails, the scenarios are very different. This is something I don’t manage to appreciate in such vivid details living and working in densely populated urban areas.

Ciao!

A few years ago some immigrants from Asia picked and ate mushrooms -and got very sick. Apparently there is a safe mushroom in Asia that looks very much like a dangerous one here !!

mete mete : Yes, those are the truffles, very popular here also, but not in this area. Those are more typical in the plains or hills of Tuscany and Piedmont Regions, not really up here in the mountains. To pick those, you are right, they employ dogs or pigs but it’s a lot of digging! Truffles are hypogeum mushrooms (subterranean), these instructions are for epigeous ones. Lichens are very nice to look at but we are not eating them :)!

Low_rez Low_rez : Thanks :)! My pleasure to share! The mushrooms I finally picked are all edibles; among the ones I pictured the Amanita muscaria is for sure poisonous. Beautiful to look at but better not to eat this. I pick up mushrooms since my early childhood so I can say I now have a decent knowledge :). Anyway, I only pick the few species I am very sure about. Several incidents are reported every year here of people who got poisoned by mushrooms.

As a curiosity, around here, specially during the summertime, many villages municipalities organize “trainings” for new wannabe mushroom pickers :). It’s normally a couple of days training, with theory and practice. They teach basic mushrooms biology, different species, rules for picking, etc. and even give some culinary tips. It’s a nice recreational activity to take part in e.g. during vacation, for very reasonable fees and these normally ends up with great common dinners :D. Also a resident mycologist is often available in the most touristic mountain villages here, offering for free consultation and identification of the “catches” :thumbsup:.

Thanks for the info! I never thought that mushroom picking training existed! That is something I will look into in my area!

Some beautiful views ... thanks for sharing them ... and I always enjoy reading stories from people who love the outdoors like I do.

And seeing your knowledge on the mushrooms and all you get to enjoy in the area you live.

Looks like photography might be another passion like our knives are ... some really nice images and vantage points to capture it all ... next best thing to getting to be there. :thumbsup:

Hi!

JJ_Colt45 JJ_Colt45 : Thanks :) ! Glad you liked the post and the pics. I also like very much the outdoors threads here, with tales of adventures and great pics :thumbsup:. The Great Outdoors is probably the sub_forum I mostly enjoy here :).

Gorgeous pictures ! Thanks. I only know/pick/eat Shaggy Manes, Chantereles, and a couple of Boletes. I have always wanted to, but have never even seen a wild Morel.

Beautiful pictures, great surroundings buddy.
Thanks for taking us along.
Delicous looking mushroom, wish I had more knowledge on those.

Hi!

upnorth upnorth : Thanks! Glad you enjoyed this. Thanks for mentioning shaggy manes mushrooms, I had to google them since I am not very familiar with these ones :). Having seen pics and read about, yes, they are present here as well but not very common as sought after edible species in my area!

knoefz knoefz : Hi! Thank-you! Happy you enjoyed the ride :)! Mushroom season is now well over, some snow on the mountains now! I am really looking forward to get up there and step on some! Let’s see if I manage this coming week-end!

Ciao! Take care.

Back