A review of my old EDC, the Benchmade 720 Mel Pardue

After hearing that I stuck with one knife to carry for nine years, in one of my posts, one member was intrigued enough to ask “tell us more?”. That inspired this review. It’s pretty plain, but I really like the form and function of this knife. It is a Benchmade 720 Mel Pardue. I bought the knife in 2000, before the age of unlimited research was available to me on the internet. That means I went to every knife store I could access within about 50 miles of my home to find something that was “just right” for me. I was willing to spend up to about $150 and I wanted something that was tough. After months of searching, I found something that would suit me in a small knife shop.

The Axis lock intrigued me right away. I like the ambidextrous features (I am right handed), the very solid lockup, and the ease of use. The knife has a 3.25” plain-edge blade made of ATS-34 steel. From what I have read online, it is almost the same as 154CM, but it is supposed to be able to hold a better luster (or something like that). Mine is the version with the aluminum handle; it was also offered with a G-10 handle. I carry it tip-down and that’s how it came from the factory. This is one of the early 720s, which could be configured for tip-up or tip-down carry. I believe the later ones allowed only tip-up carry, but the clip was reversible to either side. The knife was offered with some graphics options (red, white, and blue, black with white butterfly, etc.) but mine is plain, black, anodized aluminum. I believe the knife does not have a type 3 hard anodized finish as mine has scratched over the years from pocket carry.

I like:
The features that drew me to the knife are the Axis lock, the ergonomics and how it fit my hand, the “just right” size of the blade, and the very solid feel of the aluminum handle. The knife is very smooth to open and close, compared to many of the other knives I had looked at. It is heavy at 4.3oz, but it just feels so solid. The blade uses a bowie style blade (I’d probably prefer a drop point, but I don’t pry with my knives anyways) with a partial flat grind and a slight recurve. I like how the slight recurve aids in some types of cuts. Some non-aggressive jimping allows for a little better grip on the index finger and on the back of the handle and blade. The jimping is just ok. I think the balance of this knife is very good. It balances just behind the pivot.

I sharpen with a Lansky sharpener and I use 20 degrees per side. I find that edge retention is good. Resistance to blade chipping is very good. I don’t baton with it nor do I attempt to cut through nails (or other abuse). On two occasions I have watched friends drop my knife onto bare concrete. One of those falls was from chest height and had the knife landing directly on the tip. There was dulling to the point, but no chipping. I promptly asked to have my knife back.

I dislike:
Not much! For its size, this knife is a bit heavy. After all my use and carrying, I would say that the weight is only a minor concern. The weight is never noticeable in jeans. However, when wearing dress pants, the knife is too heavy. It is not a great dress knife. That’s the price you pay for a very solid feel. If I had my choice, I would prefer a drop point rather than a bowie style point. I don’t abuse this knife or pry with it, but a drop point would give me a little more tip strength and piece of mind (mainly for when my friends ask to see my knife). On the plus side, the bowie style tip allows for easy piercing when opening packages. The G-10 version is very attractive for the added traction the scales would offer. This knife is a bit smooth in the hand.

This knife has been discontinued for many years. However, if you want a very solid feeling knife with a bowie tip that is great for stab-type cuts, this is a great option. I’m sure this can still be found on auctions and I have seen it at gun shows ($90-175 at the last show). I think retail for my version was about $155 when it was in production. I paid $105.

Overall, I really like this knife. I am a tough critic. The main drawbacks are weight (it isn’t ideal for a dress knife), smooth grip surface, and ultimate tip strength. All things considered, I would give this knife an 8 out of 10.

BM720008-32es.jpg

BM720004-32es.jpg

BM720006-32es.jpg

Nice discussion.

Never understood why that model wasn't more popular, since the blade shape is decent and the handle is pretty comfy for many.

Nothing like a knife that you've spent so much time with. I'm sure your feelings about it are similar to the Spyderco delica that was my only user knife for many years.

Thanks for the review. Knifeknuts usually don´t carry one single knife that long. But to really kniw how good a knife is, a long period review is gold!

Hat's off to you for sharing this! Seldom do we see such LONG-TERM views of a constant EDC.

Thanks again.

I saw your original post about the Griptilians, and headed over here to check out your review. I ironically have a griptilian that has been through similar use as your knife (4 years instead of 9). I carry it on a regular basis, and like all my Benchmades it just gets smoother with time. Of all the brands I carry, nothing wears in quite like a well used Benchmade. There is something indestructable about the lock and consistantly thought-out construction. I have been converting a lot of my collection to the classic Benchmades because they are the knives I want to carry for the rest of my life.

I have the G10 version of this knife. I don't carry it as much as I probably should, but it is a great knife. I keep it either clipped inside my waistband or to my right front jeans pocket, and I sometimes forget it is there.

It is a good all purpose folder, and I agree with you on the bowie blade vs. drop point. I think this is one of the reasons I don't carry it as much; I would prefer a drop point blade for added tip strength. I don't go out of my way to abuse my knives, but things do happen.

Great review.

Thanks all. I'm glad this review was appreciated. I kinda thought a review of this knife would be overlooked since it's not new. I totally agree that most knife enthusiasts do not carry a knife that long. In fact some of my friends lose their carry knife within about a year :confused:

When I first got the Axis lock, it was different and innovative. It is still a unique lock style, but I have learned to appreciate the strength and safety of it. It's not the only lock style I will carry, but it is a big plus on any knife I'm looking to buy.

I started carrying the Grip in my pocket today. I am not crazy about the added thickness in my pocket, but it's comfortable when I need to grab it. I kinda miss my old, faded, worn, 720, but it'll be there when I'm ready to go back :)

I don't own that knife, but I edc'd one for 2 months being it was my bro in law's and he never carried it. It's an outstanding edc knife, smooth and durable with a nice blade length. I always keep my eye out for one on the exchange, maybe someday i'll convince my man to sell it to me. Thanks for sharing and the pics as well.

I have a 723, the last production of this family of knives. I like it very much. Of course, it was a limited run, but if Benchmade ever makes it as a regular run with an uncoated blade and a plain edge, either a 154CM or D2, I would immediately buy it. For me, it would be a perfect EDC, neither too large nor too small, good ergonomics and a very tough piece of equipment at the same time.

I have a 723, the last production of this family of knives. I like it very much. Of course, it was a limited run, but if Benchmade ever makes it as a regular run with an uncoated blade and a plain edge, either a 154CM or D2, I would immediately buy it. For me, it would be a perfect EDC, neither too large nor too small, good ergonomics and a very tough piece of equipment at the same time.
I would buy a new one in a heart beat. Something with a plain D2 blade and G10 scales would be great for me.

One thing I'm noticing about my new knife and appreciating about the old 720. The 720 had a smooth Al handle. I didn't have a problem gripping it, but it could have been better (with G10). However, the smooth sides were never a problem with tearing up my pockets. That was kinda nice.

Great review. I've got a 721 with G10 handles. I was looking for one for over a yr. and finally found one for a decent price ($100). Its got one of the most comfortable handles in a folder. It carries great in the pocket and has that smooth axis lock. I also got a tanto PS blade that I got in a trade. I agree that a drop point blade would be more usefull. Its a shame the 720 series was discontinued. I've never handled the aluminium handle but I would think the G10 would be lighter. Also the G10 isn't the "rough" type, its kinda smooth but not slippery. IMO a great folder.:thumbup:

I also really like the 72x series and regret BM's disco'ing it. For me, it's a far better design than most of their current stuff. I even like the Bowie style blade.

Here's a couple that live with me. The 720 is a numbered pre-prod model that has never been carried or used. The 721 was modded by Chase Axinn to have G10 bolsters and CF scales behind the AXIS bar.

720003-1.jpg

Knives002jpg.jpg

Back