A smaller ZT

Would you buy a small ZT/ Kershaw in the ZT 0550 price and quality range?

• Yes! I would have no problem spending $200 to $300 on such a knife.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only if it was less expensive ($100-$199)

• No, the only premium KAI products i want are knives built like the current ZT line (tanks)

• No, I wouldn't purchase any high priced KAI knives

• Total voters
Ti/ZDP-189 Leek
Ti/ZDP-189 Cyclone
S30V/G-10 Leek -- not a Ti framelock
440V Whisper -- not a Ti framelock, but does have a Ti handle with a one of a kind lock
S30V Ti Bump

For those that want something larger than a 3.5" blade...

Ti/SG2 JYDII
Ti/CPM D2 Tyrade
Speedform
Volt
Tilt

The ZDP-189 and the S110V Shallots are pretty badass as well. The handles may not be Ti, but the blade steels more than make up for that.

These knives may not be the easiest to find, but if you hunt you can find what you're looking for.

LAWYER'd!

i have wanting to buy a 550 but the length is the one reason that is holding me back..if they would make such a knife it will definitely my dream knife..
ps: od green g10 would be suuuuperrr nice :)

I currently have the Leek and have had the Bump. While they are good knives they simply are not as heavy duty as ZT knives. While it's true that there are options from other companies I really like ZT. I currently have the 301, 300, 350, 200, 550/551 and 560 so I do really like them. But I do travel to many areas that restrict blade length. I currently use either a Strider SJ-75 or Small Sebenza in those areas but would love a 3" version of the 560. Even Hinderer makes a 3" version. Just saying....

I agree that the Leek is not as heavy duty as Zero Tolerance knives, but it isn't supposed to be because it's a Leek. I would argue that the Ti Bump is built just as tough as any ZT. I cannot see how it would not be as tough considering it is just two big slabs of anodized Ti and a pretty thick blade of S30V.

Everyone who keeps bringing up CRK, Strider, and Rick Hinderer need to remember that when it comes to these maker's folders you are talking about a very small lineup. CRK's regular folder production are the Large and Small Sebenza, the Umnumzaan, the Mnandi, and I'm not even sure how many Ti Locks they produce each year. Rick Hinderer's midtech folder selection consists of the 3" XM-18, the 3.5" XM-18, and the XM-24. Out of all three, Stider produces more varieties of folders than the others. For the longest time, before the SJ-75, the only small Strider folder that one could purchase was the PT. The PT also is nowhere near as tough as its bigger brothers the SnG and the SMF. I know this from experience of owning these different knives at one time or another.

On the other hand you have KAI who has quite a bit going on between Kershaw, Zero Tolerance, and Shun Knives. Kershaw and ZT pump out such a variety of folder designs that it makes my head spin. You've got different sizes, different handle materials, different steels, different blade shapes, different handle shapes, different lock types, and different uses. They offer a variety that would pretty much suit anyone's knife needs or desires. They have very affordable knives for the layman and they have high end limited runs for those of us that cannot satiate our desire for "more and better".

People complain of the sizes and weights of the ZT lineup. They are supposed to be made that way, it is not an accident. If you start taking these same designs and make them smaller you are going to sacrifice the toughness that they are known for. That is just a fact. No one in here can tell me that a Strider PT, a 3" XM-18, or a Small Sebenza is just as strong and tough as their bigger counterparts. It just isn't true. You are sacrificing toughness for size. You are going to have thinner and smaller blades, thinner handle materials, and smaller pivots. So if you take that 0560 and make it smaller it is not going to be as tough as the full size 0560. You are going to have to thin out the handle material and the steel liner and the blade is going to have to become thinner. Basically you are going to neuter the knife. Will it still really display that ZT toughness after these changes? You also have to remember that KVT washers aren't exactly super thin. You can only make a knife using KVT so thin before you will not be able to mill the pockets out to hold them.

The other problem is that this will only fill a niche market for folks that like to carry smaller knives or are located in an area that does not allow larger blades. Most owners of the 0560/0561 love the size and it is a drawing point to them. The market is completely flooded with 3.5" folders. It isn't too often that a big tough 4" blade production folder is made that so many people really enjoy carrying and using.

As I said, I would also like to see a smaller version of the 0560, but I think some people's expectations are too high by wanting it scaled down to a 3" blade and thinner for less money. It sounds like people want a tiny knife at Kershaw prices with ZT toughness. As I also said, this knife just wouldn't follow in line with the ZT motto.

I know that a lot of you are asking why is this guy a buzzkill or why won't this guy shut the F up about this, but I'm just trying to make some sense. I apologize if I'm bursting bubbles. Damn, this ended up a lot longer than I wanted it to be.

The 200 finds its way in to my pocket quite often. Good lock up, nice feel in the hand. I know its not the same, but its a tough little bas---d.

Because of this thread and specifically the subject matter and poll...I will never buy another one of these ZT knives again. It's BM and SPY from here on out. Thank you for making this such an easy decision. That is all.

It seems obvious that the solution to everyone's knife needs is a 0560 variant every 1/2" from 2" (keychain size) on up to 2' (folding machete size).

Actually, albeit unnecessary, a little keychain kvt flipper might be pretty neat :D

I have a 550. It's very nice, but scale it down for me. Leave the blade @ about 3.5" but just reduce the entire knife by about 10%. I don't need this type of heavy-duty for daily carry. I like the blade shape as is, and the blade-length. Leave it @ 3.5" or a bit less, as many states don't allow carry of greater than 3.5". And the 0.570" handle thickness could be brought down to about 0.50-0.52" with blade thickness of 0.140". Remember that our Spyderco Military folders are very good and strong and still only 0.450" handle thickness. Nice in the hand. I came close to getting a HEST 2.0, but this one is a real beast with 0.195" blade and MUCH too heavy-duty for my needs. Obviously, lots of folks love those also.
Sonny

Because of this thread and specifically the subject matter and poll...I will never buy another one of these ZT knives again. It's BM and SPY from here on out. Thank you for making this such an easy decision. That is all.
Because of this thread, that just makes me want a smaller ZT framelock flipper all the more... :thumbup:

I prefer the Mini versions of BM knives, FWIW.

Specifically the Griptilian and Barrage family of knives.

Give me:
Blade shape of the 0551 or 0560
3" Thinner blade in good steel - Doesn't have to be Elmax - s30v or s35vn works for me.
Ti frame lock - Thinner stock than the 0551 kind of similar to the Spyderco Chokwe.
Blue grooved G-10 - Like the G-10 of the 0560.
Low rider clip - Maybe ti and blued?
A flipper would be great but isn't a must have... though I would love one.
Blued thumb studs? That would look nice.
Stonewashed blade and ti.

And yeah that about covers it.

Kind of sounds like a small Sebenza to me.

Because of this thread and specifically the subject matter and poll...I will never buy another one of these ZT knives again. It's all Microtech from here on out. Thank you for making this such an easy decision. That is all.

Fixed that for you. NOW it's a joke. :p :D

Keep the 3.75" to 4" blade, lower the weight to three ounces, no assisted opening, and cost less than $100.

Huh......Maybe in dream.... 3.75- 4.0 blade that weights less than 3.0 oz. What would the blade be made of......not steel that's for sure.

I'd like to have ZT make something along the lines of my Regulus...... .220 3V blade, .205 ti scales, handle is 5.4 and the cutting edge is 3.6. It weighs in at 10.0 oz.

I have several ZTs big ZTs and Kershaws too. Another poster said he thought the 0550 is a very big knife. I guess that depends on what big is to you.

If you want a smaller Zt, get a Kershaw, they make several models on the HD side.

Quoted for posterity. You said "BM". :D

Sorry, just cracking myself up. ;)

I'd like to have ZT make something along the lines of my Regulus...... .220 3V blade, .205 ti scales, handle is 5.4 and the cutting edge is 3.6. It weighs in at 10.0 oz.

I have several ZTs big ZTs and Kershaws too. Another poster said he thought the 0550 is a very big knife. I guess that depends on what big is to you.

If you want a smaller Zt, get a Kershaw, they make several models on the HD side.
Have they got a bunch of Oregon-made, heavy duty, titanium 'n G10 frame locks in their lineup that I was unaware of?

If not, then I'll stick with still wanting a slightly smaller ZT 0560 or a flipper variant of the ZT 0550...

I have both a 350 and 550. I absolutely love the 550. On duty its the ruggednes, toughness and robustness(?) I like. The size is perfect. I now carry it on and off duty. I would like to see the G10 scale side made of titanium and textured. I just don't like the production scales. In my opinion the knife would look so much better the same color/material complete.

Back