A special thank you to Andy and Jerry in honor of the Badger.

I just got my Badger like two hours ago. I have never held a Badger or seen one up close. All I have ever seen of her are pictures. I have to say it is the finest knife of it's size I have ever held, seen, or owned. My Father (who thinks to make such a big deal over a knife is silly) couldn't put it down. He was impressed at the possible aplications that this knife could be used for. "well you could almost chop fire wood with this thing" he said jokingly in amazement. So if you can make a knife that even my Father will appreciate then you have truely made a statement. I think he even wants one heh heh (the Busse virus has spread to another). I wanna say thank you to Andy for supporting my habit. Jerry for making that which I can't live without. It almost sounds like an acceptance speech for a grammy huh? But this thing really is awesome and I swear from this moment on I will never buy a knife if it wasn't made by Busse Combat. Bring on the FOLDER!

Right on, received my Badger Attack variant from Andy yesterday...Hot, Hot....Special thanks to you Jerry. Look forward to many encounters of the third kind.

With Friendship,
Rick

Great! Nice to hear first hand that the Badger Attack is that good. I have a Badger Attack-E on order and now I want it all the more. Have a big time backpacking trip planned out west in July. That baby will be with me(I hope). I'm having visions of it strapped to my pack while camping under 800 year old trees. I may not come back, but how will I order my next Busse? Andy do you do smoke signals?

See you on the trail
Greg

I got a Badger a couple of weeks ago and echo the aforementioned sentiments - it is one "killer" knife! But a few thoughts on this Busse - it is rather too short for anything but light chopping activities, and the ergo handle on the new e-series, while I can readily see enhances chopping ability, may not have as much utility on a 4.5 inch blade whose uses are NOT primarily chopping. Though I have not seen the BA-E, I am pretty sure I will still prefer the aesthetics of the straight handle on my knife.
Another thought - for the blade length of the Badger, the extreme thickness of this knife is probably overkill. It adds unnecessary weight (desireable for chopping, but not for generally cutting/slicing activities for which a knife of this length would be most often used).
The Badger is hell for stout, and this is the Busse signature, and probably one of the main reasons I bought it, but "lesser" knives with thinner steel are probably equally or more adept at the chores to which a small-bladed knife is put to task.
My Badger is a keeper, but I'll take my CRK Shadow IV on a backpack over the Badger anyday.

(JKI) I got to disagree with ya here man. The heft and thickness of the blade tend to allow more control for me. Pressing the spine of the blade with either the thumb or index finger allow for great control in carving strokes or slices. And a reverse grip is quite comfortable and easy. And the heft is just simply cool! And besides Busse's come horribly sharp and it's so strong in that short thick package I bet you could hang a car from it. though different people have different needs. When I took that badger out of the sheath today, I swear it felt like Jerry taylored the knife just for me. That's how awesome of a feeling it was.

(Gregory)... I'm sure Jerry is right and the new handle design will aid the function of the Badger-E so you will be stunded at how much knife you're getting in that smaller package. I have to say that in it's size catagory I wouldn't have any other knife. You will be more than pleased dude.

(Commrick) Damn right man. One hell of a knife!

Geeze! I'm starting to sound like a Busse PR guy.

Hey Ryu and other good folks,

Just received my BA from Andy yesterday, too. So can I join the Club? What's your secret handshake?!

JKI -- I see your point and was wondering about precisely those concerns before it arrived. If you haven't yet given your BA a test drive, however, you might feel differently after doing so. Last night I whittled a broken table leg I replaced a while ago, and really enjoy the BA's "liveliness" in hand. You note that "it is rather too short for anything but light chopping activities." I think instead that it's a very good size for everything *but* chopping. You state further:

Originally posted by jki:
Another thought - for the blade length of the Badger, the extreme thickness of this knife is probably overkill. It adds unnecessary weight (desireable for chopping, but not for generally cutting/slicing activities for which a knife of this length would be most often used).
[...]
My Badger is a keeper, but I'll take my CRK Shadow IV on a backpack over the Badger anyday.

Ideally, I'd prefer the BA in 3/16" but the 1/4" doesn't bother me. Using it for food prep last night, it worked fine. (That salad last night had a few more things in it than usual
wink.gif
) No problem splitting wood, for sure. The thickness only becomes a hindrance if I'm slicing thru something for food prep otherwise, it isn't a concern for me.

Also, its *very nice* distal taper appropriately thins out the blade toward its tip without sacrificing toughness -- so it's not quite a "bigger blade" in a truncated package. The SH2 and similar big blades, in contrast, retain their thickness till very close to the tip. The distal taper makes for a more versatile tip and lightens the knife overall, w/an excellent balance point just behind the index finger (and front scale rivet). Personally, I love its "bounce" (for lack of a better term) in my hand!

I'm curious about your comparison to the CRK Shadow IV ... I actually decided on the BA over one of the Reeve midsize fixeds for a couple of reasons. Besides the INFI vs A2 deal, I prefer its flat grind over the CRK hollow grind; also, most would probably agree that the BA's handle is much more ergonomic (mine is the straight-handled model, btw).

Also, both the BA and Shadow IV are 1/4" thick at the spine. But it strikes me that the Shadow IV is actually "thicker" in practical terms than the BA. With its wider blade, the BA's flat grind leads to its maximum thickness very gradually. Of all the Reeve midsize fixeds, the Shadow retains its thickness farther down its width than the others; so I assume its hollow grind rises to full 1/4" fairly "quickly," no?

The BA and Shadow IV both weigh 11 oz, IIRC, so I suppose one difference is whether one prefers a longer, narrower blade vs a shorter, wider blade. I opted for the latter, of coure
smile.gif

Anyhow, my .02. (Can you tell I can't stop thinking of this new baby?!)

So, again, what's the secret handshake?

Glen

Here's what I see as a major advantage of the heavy spine in a small knife. First, the knife is small enough to handle small tasks as needed, but the stout spine allows the use of a mallet (which you can whittle) on the knife to chop through heavy material if required. This knife is indeed a chopper when used in this way and in my opinion, qualifies as an excellent survival knife. Not so big you will trip over itor heavy enough it will pull you drawers down, but when combined with a mallet, big enough to chop saplings for a makeshift shelter and stout enough to be used as a can opener. I see this knife as a prime candidate for the "one knife" scenario.

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

Glen - you are absolutely right on your comparisons of the BA and the S-IV. I hadn't played with my S-IV for awhile and I remembered it to be smaller than it actually is. They do actually weigh about the same and both have thick spines. I prefer the extra inch of edge on the S-IV for cutting chores but the Badger has that great INFI steel. One would not be lacking to carry either of these pieces into the field!

(Storyville) No secret hand shake... your among the honred many who own a BA, that's good enough. I like your thoughts on the BA and objective comparison to the CRK. I love being in the BA club, and BM Club, And am looking forward to being in the SH2, sixer, and entire Basic line club as well.

(HooDoo) I agree with you. You make good strong points. But personally I try never to get caught with my pants down by only having one knife. But I gotta say that If you have a BM and a BA there's not a whole lot one can't handle. But yes I have to say if I could only take one I am begining to think I might choose the BA. Though if I had the foresite to bring a mallet I'd probaly just take the BM too. But a mallet is a lot cheaper.

Thanks for all the great replies guys and Live by the Busse or die without it... it makes no difference really but one or the other is going to happen.

Do the Badgers that you all just received have the new style handle? If not, are they still making the old style or just filling previous orders?

Bill

(harrydog) If I'm not mistaken Andy ran out of these BA's. And I believe he said they are the last he will ever have. Though you may wanna contact him to confirm all of this. Too bad too. These Babies are hell!

I believe also that we got the "last of" the straight handles. Wow, an even more special club!

But we haven't SEEN the new ergo handled Badger Attack E. I doubt that its "bend" will be as pronounced as its bigger SH2-E and BM-E cousins. But then, we're all waiting ... (where's that pic, Andy?!).

Glen

PS Hoodoo, that's how I split wood, if/when necessary -- just hammer the spine w/a thick branch.

[This message has been edited by storyville (edited 05-13-2000).]

Hey Stroyville... I think we may be members of an even more special club. Our badgers have a smooth finish on the handle slabs not like the other badgers with grooved handles. There may only be like a few dozen with the smooth handles on them. We might have possibly the coolest badgers on the market. With the new pins and smooth finish.

Back