A step back

Hello my friends. I hope this finds all of you and yours safe and healthy.

I am writing this with both a sense of loss and relief that one would think wouldn’t really go together but somehow seem to complement one another.

Many of you saw my recent sale adds in which I sold my Buck stockman collection to help a friend in need. That sale changed a couple of lives. My friend was able to use the 2000+ dollars those threads collected to keep his home and feed his family while waiting to find a new job. It also brought me a sense of freedom that came as a complete surprise to me. It opened my eyes to the obsession my knives had become. To the weight they were to my soul as I constantly searched for the survivors from that wonderful era. I found with the release of them that they had become work to me when they had once been a form of relaxation.

Armed with that realization I set about a course of action that I hope and pray will bring me and my family a bit of happiness. Perhaps you noticed Rachel’s very kind words this morning, she has graciously accepted the most important part of my collection. She has agreed to look after a bunch of “ misfit” knives that were once proud tools. A group of knives that had stories to tell but no one to remember. A group of knives that were the foundation of my entire collection and the reason I had a collection at all. I couldn’t think of a more fitting home for them. As I told Rachel, I always pictured her as our version of the king ( queen) of the island of misfit toys. The passion she has for the old and tired but proud knives that no one seems to want is an inspiration and a joy to witness.

Anyway with the stories held safe I can rest. I am logging out for a while. I’m sure I’ll wander past some in the future and perhaps sit a spell but for now I’m going back to just being a guy with a pocket knife that is simply a tool to help him thru the day. I guess in a way a return to “ normal”.

I have been honored to call many of you friend that will not change with my absence.

Godspeed

Clay

You are are Great person Clay- what a wonderful deed you did for your friend! That's something pretty darned special there!
Take care of yourself, and please do pop back in now and then.
I wonder though- if you will ever be abe to walk past that Knife in a Garage sale or Antique shop? - will the old you come back....just for a second?

Godspeed to you, Clay.

Sometimes you just have to step back away from something to see the whole of it. We do tend to get over obsessed with inanimate things, and often loose sight of whats really important in our lives; the people we love and care about.

I've done my own journey in stepping back, and it is liberating. But its fun to keep in touch with friends, even if its like going back to the bar and ordering a club soda with a twist of lime to hang out and see what the old friends are up to. Forums are like that; you'll always be welcomed back, even if you're on the wagon.:thumbsup:

A wise man doesn't let his possessions own him. Take care of your family and yourself.

Please keep in mind that even "just a guy with a pocket knife that is simply a tool to help him thru the day" is welcome to sit on the porch, so I hope you'll stop by from time to time.

And if your pocket knife ever gets broken or lost, I'll always be happy to send you a spare. ;)

iZBeqZf.jpg

Godspeed Clay! Stepping away from material possessions can be very healthy and help you recapture the appropriate appreciation for them. May your time away refresh your spirit, strengthen your home, and bring you back with greater wisdom and temperance than you possessed before.

I can’t say any better what’s already been said in the previous quotes. Enjoyed your company, & as you know the porch light is always on when you want to come & visit.
Blessings,

Back