A Stitch in Time

I loaded up some rounds with primers only today and let the kids shoot the Vaquero in 45 Colt and a Blackhawk in .41 Magnum. We watch way too much Rifleman around here and he's been wanting to shoot the wheelguns.

View attachment 1650401
View attachment 1650436
I realized afterwards he's wearing a holster, a belt and a wooden knife in a sheath that I made. Once again, posted for posterity.

Still waiting on the buckles, they shipped last week.
Okay John, I knew it for a long time…
But surfing these earlier threads & posts, or whut ever they’re called cinched it!
You definitely are the coolest dad, with the absolute coolest kids!!
So great!
Absolute best wishes to you & yours!!

Thank you Randy. Kids are perfect from the moment their born, I'm just tryin to minimize the damage along the way!

They think I'm cool for now, but give it a couple of years😁
Screenshot_20200409-214041_Instagram-04.jpeg

What a great thread, fun to read and great work too. Keep those two kids a tooling, that axe head basket stamp just showed up at this out fit from WY last week.

What a great thread, fun to read and great work too. Keep those two kids a tooling, that axe head basket stamp just showed up at this out fit from WY last week.
Thanks Dave, I think they have more time with a maul than I do, they really enjoy it. They found a Barry King catalog and once my boy saw there was a stamp shaped like an axe he was sold, my daughter went with the hollow hex since it looks like a beehive.

I am biased of course but for a 6 yr old this kid does great work.
View attachment 1746827

I've gotta get him some projects cut out, he's stamped every piece of a scrap leather in the shop.
Howdy John, howdy kids!!🤠
Ya know, if them younguns of yours wanna stamp leather on any project I may
have in the works, that’s fine by me…
ONLY in a fun sense, if they're interested…:)
Of course artists need to be paid🙂

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Howdy John, howdy kids!!🤠
Ya know, if them younguns of yours wanna stamp leather on any project I may
have in the works, that’s fine by me…
ONLY in a fun sense, if their interested…:)
Of course artists need to be paid🙂

Hope you all have a great weekend!
I'm sure they'd love the chance to spruce up a Cowbell sheath!

Heading to the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade show in Sheridan this weekend. Gonna hurt the wallet and invest in a burnisher from Leather Machine Co. and hopefully some hand tools/stamps. Going to be a fun trip, Deadwood, Devils Tower, and hopefully Custers Battlefield. A couple of stops in Billings and visiting a friend I haven't seen in years.

I really want to get workin more leather and getting things moving. I have three belts that I need to wrap up for the most patient of the original Magnificent Seven, the forefathers of the Clan of the Cowbell!

Two years and twelve days until I get to play full time knifemaker/leather wrangler but who's countin? 😁

Heading to the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade show in Sheridan this weekend. Gonna hurt the wallet and invest in a burnisher from Leather Machine Co. and hopefully some hand tools/stamps. Going to be a fun trip, Deadwood, Devils Tower, and hopefully Custers Battlefield. A couple of stops in Billings and visiting a friend I haven't seen in years.

I really want to get workin more leather and getting things moving. I have three belts that I need to wrap up for the most patient of the original Magnificent Seven, the forefathers of the Clan of the Cowbell!

Two years and twelve days until I get to play full time knifemaker/leather wrangler but who's countin? 😁

Holy coincidence, Batman! I’m counting. 😶

I have two years and twenty nine days until I have to find my partial retirement job. 😎

Holy coincidence, Batman! I’m counting. 😶

I have two years and twenty nine days until I have to find my partial retirement job. 😎
Sweet, double retirement party! May 31st, 2024 and I'm a full time shop bum moving on with the next chapter of Redmeadow. I think about it every day.

Sweet, double retirement party! May 31st, 2024 and I'm a full time shop bum moving on with the next chapter of Redmeadow. I think about it every day.

June 24th, 2024 I reach my 30 year mark with the company. I turn 55 a couple weeks before that and hit my ten year mark living in Illinois a couple weeks after.

My goal is to buy a forever home in Kentucky then and go to work watering flowers at the local nursery in the summer and drying cars at the car wash in the off season 😎.

The kids picked out some project templates at the Sheridan show from Makers Leather Supply. This one is a little sleeve for a field notes book with a pen holder and a pocket on the front. They call it an 'Idea Sleeve'. I offered to sew it on the machine but he wanted to stitch it by hand. His basketweave stamping is top notch.
20220616_090655-01.jpeg

The kids picked out some project templates at the Sheridan show from Makers Leather Supply. This one is a little sleeve for a field notes book with a pen holder and a pocket on the front. They call it an 'Idea Sleeve'. I offered to sew it on the machine but he wanted to stitch it by hand. His basketweave stamping is top notch.
View attachment 1846000

Very cool! Nice work!! Very clever stitching pony! We've recently (last year or two) found Maker's and have been buying more and more from them. Service is excellent. In fact that duffel bag is made with leather from them and the pattern (with some Horsewright tweaks and more coming, its evolving), is too.

Very cool! Nice work!! Very clever stitching pony! We've recently (last year or two) found Maker's and have been buying more and more from them. Service is excellent. In fact that duffel bag is made with leather from them and the pattern (with some Horsewright tweaks and more coming, its evolving), is too.
I talked to them in Sheridan and they seem like good people. They gave the kids some youth kits, (folder belt sheaths). They have a youth program where they give the kids kit #1 and if you send them a picture of it finished they can get kit #2, great marketing tool that's also great for kids. I'll have to get some pictures up of their finished project, they tooled them both and have been carrying their swiss Army knives in them.

The boxes worked great as stitching ponies on the fly. I threw a sack of bullets in for weight, worked pretty dang good.

That duffel bag is awesome by the way, quality gear right there.

I talked to them in Sheridan and they seem like good people. They gave the kids some youth kits, (folder belt sheaths). They have a youth program where they give the kids kit #1 and if you send them a picture of it finished they can get kit #2, great marketing tool that's also great for kids. I'll have to get some pictures up of their finished project, they tooled them both and have been carrying their swiss Army knives in them.

The boxes worked great as stitching ponies on the fly. I threw a sack of bullets in for weight, worked pretty dang good.

That duffel bag is awesome by the way, quality gear right there.
Thanks! I like watching Aaron’s videos. Whats not to like he’s always got coffee, a pipe and a sidearm

Back