A Stitch in Time

Some hit and run info here, found some nice black bison and a nice shade of brown.

Let's say I can keep these in a double digit price range with a quality buckle, what color Bison would be of interest? Black or Brown? (It doesn't mean I expect you to buy one if you answer, just wondering everyone's preference). I'd go with brown. That makes it Black-2 ⚖️ 1-Brown😁

Both would be ideal but right now I'm pricing some serious quality hats for us, I brought my laptop with me and figured if I can't work in the shop, I'll work on sourcing hats, making logos, work on my swivel knife skills, sketch knife designs, things like that.

Some hit and run info here, found some nice black bison and a nice shade of brown.

Let's say I can keep these in a double digit price range with a quality buckle, what color Bison would be of interest? Black or Brown? (It doesn't mean I expect you to buy one if you answer, just wondering everyone's preference). I'd go with brown. That makes it Black-2 ⚖️ 1-Brown😁

Both would be ideal but right now I'm pricing some serious quality hats for us, I brought my laptop with me and figured if I can't work in the shop, I'll work on sourcing hats, making logos, work on my swivel knife skills, sketch knife designs, things like that.
I'm totally IN if you can do that!!! :thumbsup:

What shade of brown? I could be swayed to go with a darker brown for everyday wear... Though that messes up my silver(ish) buckle thoughts, brass or bronze would look better with brown.

Either way, if you're building a bison belt with a quality (quality doesn't mean fancy by any means) buckle, I'd be ALL over it, black OR brown. :cool:

Damnit you had to say the B word..... Brass🤢

If I'm gonna make belts I'm gonna have to get over my disgust for the stuff. I'll try to do some brass therapy and fondle some of the items in the spoiler to get over it🤮

brass-ceiling-fan-makover-before.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg
I blame Roy Rogers and The Lone Ranger, in my mid at least Trigger was always covered in silver conchos and the Lone Rangers horse was........ wait for it........ Silver!!

LOL!!! 🤣 I wondered if'n you might say that. Yeah, unfortunately I don't know if you're going to find many bronze buckle choices. LOTS of brass tho!!! :eek:

The only thing you should do with brass is chamber it!Then again, how do you make the worlds best custom belts without a brass buckle option? It looks like stainless buckles won't break the bank from what I can see so far. I'd like to add an antiqued type of metal and something for the ladies.

I like the antiqued metal, would it be possible with brass? Stainless? Blued metal?

Last edited:

Dark brown would be nice.

Sounds good Scott, it's added to my list.

A full week without a post, that might be a record :oops: I'm still a couple of weeks out, keep the fires burning around the sub!

Learning to use a swivel knife is kind of like teaching yourself to write with the opposite hand.... behind your back.... suspended from a rope.... upside down.... underwater.... blindfolded....

I've managed to destroy enough leather to make what could be considered a feather if you blur your eyes just right😁
20210813_110418-01.jpeg

Learning to use a swivel knife is kind of like teaching yourself to write with the opposite hand.... behind your back.... suspended from a rope.... upside down.... underwater.... blindfolded....

I've managed to destroy enough leather to make what could be considered a feather if you blur your eyes just right😁
View attachment 1618990
That feather is going to be really cool. I want to start carving leather when I get caught up wit all my orders.

Thanks Scott, I've filled up 3 or 4 square feet of lesther practicing with that swivel knife since I've been down here. The motion is starting to feel more natural but it's still really awkward. I think I'm ready to start working with patterns though. We might even see a carved belt or sheath in the next year.

I went ahead and ordered both black and brown Buffalo leather for some belts.

A brown Buffalo leather belt has my “want” gauge all revved up.

Contentment is a nice feeling while it last, then John comes along and starts planting the seeds of desire with things like stacked leather handled knives, awesome belts, and….😏 Such is life in this group of enthusiastic enablers.

Phil

Thanks Scott, I've filled up 3 or 4 square feet of lesther practicing with that swivel knife since I've been down here. The motion is starting to feel more natural but it's still really awkward. I think I'm ready to start working with patterns though. We might even see a carved belt or sheath in the next year.

I went ahead and ordered both black and brown Buffalo leather for some belts.
I have a swivel knife and have messed around with leather carving a bit, and I still have a long way to go. But I like the feather you're doing, I think it's a good starting place to learn carving techniques.

Back