A Takedown San Mai Kwaiken

TK Steingass

Knifemaker - Buckeye
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings All,

I forged this San Mai billet at the New England School of Metalwork class taught by Ben Seward. The handle is wrapped with .021" stainless wire and all the fittings are 410 stainless - the spacers on each side of the handle are coined. The wooden sheath is wrapped with black vegetable tanned bridle leather and the stud is forged to a teardrop shape. Magnets are inlaid into the leather lined wooden sheath to hold the knife securely yet allow for one hand deployment. 10" OAL, 5 1/2" BL. Since it's the first kwaiken I've made, I decided to incorporate takedown construction. All comments welcome.

V/R,

TK

Takedown-San-Mai-Kwaiken.jpg

That's beautiful. I think the wire wrap combined with the San Mai give it a wicked look. Very nicely done! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

^^^ This was fun!

It all worked so well together, and his supplied tool unscrewed the lonnnng nut and all the indexed components separated precisely.

Play with a layout, shoot it again, and then reassemble.

One part photographer, one part mechanic, three parts COOL! :thumbsup: :D

Great job, Tim. Thank you for the opportunity.

Damn!, Tim, that is ultra nice, beautiful, original, and one of the only pieces in that genre I ever thought "man, I wouldn't mind owning that".

Suffice to say, you did good.....real good.

Paul

Very nice, Tim! The San Mai is from 1095 and 410 stainless though...you couldn't make 15N20 look like that

Awesome on many levels!
IIRC, the "original" Tanto" was a take-down of sorts.... This is the modern version, and executed just as well as the Japanese masters using the mediums of their times!
And all's I can come up with is "Awesome!":thumbsup:

Wow!

Very striking. First time I've seen a tanto done as a takedown in this way and I like it!

The detail of how the pins are very distinctly laid out to make no mistake when reassembling is smart.

Great looking knife and sheath Tim, a lot of work went into that piece.

Back