A Tale of some Rangers. (RD)

Well not as impressive as it might sound...

My dad and "Evil" step mother (hey by tradition all step mothers are evil name tagged!) had some hogs that needed "processed" (to use the PC term so murder and literal butchery of an animal is more "Civilly Acceptable"), IE murdered and literally butchered the meat they got on em. They looked all over their farm for the knives to do it and it turned out they turned to the ones I gave my little brother, the RD Rangers for the main killing and carcass cutting. Finer stuff I guess going to be done with proper specialized cutting knives.

The RD4 was used for "Putting them to sleep" I guess because it was shorter but tough enough and sharp to do the job right and then it was for the more finer cutting of the carcass to smaller parts.

The RD6 was the main cutter I was told bringing things down to more managable sections.

The RD Tanto was the heavy chopper with its angled point being using for some thing, and its main blade getting through bones and such I think. The sharp pointy tip was used for some thing but also for getting to start to cut the tendons or some thing.

Sorry I wasn't to much on details for some things they used them for and others I sort of left out the gory stuff as this post will be on after Halloween. But skinning, cutting and chopping were all the things the RDs did to get the big whole stuff to smaller stuff. One thing I did see was on an ancient old hickory knife that was my dad's favorite for field dressing deer. He hated I pointed out the knife blade was longer than his old Swiss Army Knife knock off blade he said he did all his deer with.

Add your own RD tales or start a new thread about what other OKC knife you used! :D

How many hogs between sharpening? I have used my rd9 for everything that a knife of that size could be asked to do and it is still the only one I’ve used(still have 2 backups in boxes).

I wasn't there so can't tell you, but he said they stayed sharp, your hog will vary greatly from what I'm told though.

I only got two RD9s and both are on deck for when needed.

Most RD use I've done with a 4 and mostly a 6 on deer, I think the 4 needed some slight touch up and I chipped it lightly hacking a bone off as it was cold and I wanted the deer done! The chip was dispensed with by a...hold on sit down when you hear this....a pull through sharpener! Oops I should of said it would be ugly... They were that small, my little brother says its his favorite deer processing knife, as 4" is about the perfect white tail knife blade.

yeah that's why I don't own a pull thru sharpener! if I'm in a rush I use dmt diafolds or a ceramic rod! i also have several 6's but they've been displaced by my tak mod(which comes in at 4.5"--much better length for meat processing) which I keep piggybacked to my rd9. These 2 blades can handle almost any task required of a knife. Ontario's 5160 does not give up ever, IMO.

Yeah wish I could of got one of the Tak Mods, I'll see how a Cerberus does. I need a heavier capable blade with the black spruce and alderbrush, the SP-51 seems to do great on those. I keep Gatorblade/Buck110 in the pouch on it or a lansky diamon pull through with diamond rod.

Yeah wish I could of got one of the Tak Mods, I'll see how a Cerberus does. I need a heavier capable blade with the black spruce and alderbrush, the SP-51 seems to do great on those. I keep Gatorblade/Buck110 in the pouch on it or a lansky diamon pull through with diamond rod.

The Cerberus shouldn’t disappoint when it comes to the steel maintaining its edge—they do a good job with d2 IME. The only question I would have is that most people seem to prefer a non-coated blade for meat processing—an issue which I guess could be solved by stripping off the coating with a little citristrip and then a wire wheel. I love carrying the Cerberus all by itself or with the rtak2 or machete.

Well here's one, I had a my NS 7 for hunting to try it out, wow! Glad I did! It was able to get up the rib cage, and crack the pelvis on an 8 point buck yesterday! What a nice birthday present! The RD7 probably could of done it but the bolo part of the knife gave, I think it gave me, more accuracy for the controlled whacking and hacking. When skinning I used the RD Hawk on the lets when we got it hanging for skinning. Gator blade did the gutting. So glad I got another NS7 when I could before Knife Center's in stock specials ran out!

Edicus: Same day I missed another deer. It seemed to wobble and hobble, I waited 15 min to check the shot. Nope no hit clean miss, but one odd thing was I grabbed the Falcon for a fast field dress and haul back, as some how I forgot my folding knives at that time and only had the NS7 on the hip. While tracking I found the deer! It Pranced away with no sign of being hit and there was no blood. Then after all that swamp romping I did, I realized my Falcon and flown the coop! I thought it lost in the Muskeg but I found it today when I checking for tracks and it was just mere 15 yards inside the tree line heading to the swamp! Side note I saw said same deer later on in the day and it looked perfectly prancing and dancing in the field that afternoon.

Last edited:
Back