A Tale of Twin Cowbells

For the Cowbells I start by sketching out the pieces I need. It only takes a minute but I dont have to sort through pieces to see what's already been cut. I use ugly or scarred leather for the welts since they won't be visible.

Then I cut a strap a little wider than the sheath pieces. That let's me cut comfortably without having to flip around a large side/slab of leather. You can see a fresh strap at the bottom, and the waste at the top of the photo. You can also see the stencil I use to cut them out.

Once I get everything cut, I'll match them up, and pencil them R and D on the inside in this case so I know which knife they are for.

View attachment 1476326
The wooden tool attached to the "strap". It looks homemade. Whatsit?

The wooden tool attached to the "strap". It looks homemade. Whatsit?
Not handmade, it's just a standard strap cutter, it has a little blade inside that will cut an even strap up to 4 inches or so. They're about as blocky and utilitarian as you can get but they work great.

Thanks Chris, that would be a cool surprise.

Some better shots of these two. I did my damndest to make them identical lol.

View attachment 1484468 View attachment 1484469 View attachment 1484474 View attachment 1484470 View attachment 1484471 View attachment 1484472

Ron L Ron L I usually write a short Thank You note on the cards below, if there's anything you want me to write on Don's let me know.
View attachment 1484475

Amazing work!!

John, just welcome him to the Clan. Or you can tell him what an awesome, conscientious, and thoughtful brother he has :rolleyes:, but he already knows. Because I don’t let him forget. :p:D Nah, just welcome him to the clan.

Once I give him his blade, I’ll direct him to this forum and your other pages on FB or IG and he can check out the whole thing. I’ll include an obligatory mug shot.

I can’t thank you enough for all the work and thought that went into this set.

Last edited:
Ron L Ron L in case you don't get the notification I sent you a message through the forum here:thumbsup:

I thought we could all use a good laugh.

136387102_10221262165177024_4251516293421613969_n.jpg

John, when you sent me shipping info and I saw USPS and it was in Detroit, where parcels go to die, I was like
2JM.gif

Then I saw it was out for delivery today, spotted the mail carrier, and was like:
TCj6.gif

Couldn’t wait to open the box
2j5C.gif

John, they’re beautiful! The work is exceptional. The Micarta shows better in person than photos; subtle but nice character. Nice size and the sheaths are awesome. There’s nothing that I don’t like. Can’t thank you enough.

Now, for the presentation - I’m going to make him read the posts by Chris and you about the cowbell in the Purple thread, then direct him to my post where I called dibs for two, then I’ll hand it over. Welcome to the Clan. Pics to follow.

Last edited:
Ha, that's too funny, GIFspeak is the best form of communication. When delivery was delayed I got a little nervous too. Glad to hear they made it there safe and sound. That was a really fun set to make knowing that they were going to brothers, especially twins.

Welcome to the Clan of the Cowbwell Don!!
brentrambooriginal.gif

So, all went according to plan. Again, muchas gracias to John. Obligatory photo
85D47E75-B1E8-47EB-A312-F9684E84FBD9.jpeg

But after a few drinks, things soon turned into a “mine is nicer than yours”, “Mom likes me better” typical evening. At least no guns were drawn and no police were called.
B385C82B-7A49-474B-A9CD-4CE6EAF48BD5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back