a thread about folding knives

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
As many of you know, CPK has been working toward the development of a folding knife. You can think of this thread as a place where what you'd like to see, (or not see) from CPK can be expressed.

The market is full of great knives, (and some not so great ones) and this thread is here to accumulate CPK's valued customer's ideas about what makes a great folding knife, in order to more fully understand where our peeps are coming from so we can best nail your needs.

Feel free to discuss any aspect of folding knives- sizes and dimensions, pricing, materials, mechanisms, design, etc. Why do you like what you like? Why do you dislike what you dislike?

Also, you are welcome to post pictures if you like, but please keep in mind that there already is a thread where you can show off your folders. Your pictures ought to be accompanied by your thoughts on why your knife or particular features of it are awesome, or feeble.

Good topic. It's a tough discussion though because I believe there are about as many different use cases for a folding knife as there are for fixed blades, and therefore the ideal design will vary significantly based on the desired use of the blade. I have many folders that I carry for different reasons, and I'm sure that is true for many of us on here.

Since this thread mentions great (and not so great) knives, I would be remiss if I did not share this video. It is the best video I have ever seen on YouTube about what a truly bad folding knife is.

As many of you know, CPK has been working toward the development of a folding knife. You can think of this thread as a place where what you'd like to see, (or not see) from CPK can be expressed.

The market is full of great knives, (and some not so great ones) and this thread is here to accumulate CPK's valued customer's ideas about what makes a great folding knife, in order to more fully understand where our peeps are coming from so we can best nail your needs.

Feel free to discuss any aspect of folding knives- sizes and dimensions, pricing, materials, mechanisms, design, etc. Why do you like what you like? Why do you dislike what you dislike?

Also, you are welcome to post pictures if you like, but please keep in mind that there already is a thread where you can show off your folders. Your pictures ought to be accompanied by your thoughts on why your knife or particular features of it are awesome, or feeble.

This is obviously purely subjective and my opinion strictly. Before that though let me preface by saying that different scenarios call for different folding knives but here are some things I like across all sizes.

-slim in pocket in both thickness and width. A folding knife spends most its life in my pocket.

-not overly “ergonomic” handles that force your hand to hold the knife in certain grips. Personally i prefer relatively straight handles (Sebenza and Emerson cqc7 are good examples)

-a blade that has some straight portion so I can lay it flat on my stone. So the opposite of what I like are blades that are all belly and recurve.

-tip up carry option

-finally as a general rule I find 3.25 inch blade length to be ideal for an edc knife. Not too long that it will scare anyone but not too short that you wish you had a bigger knife.

• Opens as you pull it out of your pocket—big plus, my favorite
  • 3.9” blade
  • Not capable of opening from inertia from holding and flicking the handle. Not sure this is possible but it’s a big one in NY.
  • Flippers make me hold the knife weird, I don’t like it
  • Thin handle, narrow handle, blade as long as handle, blade is in handle when closed and not a big fat blob sticking out
  • Thumb ramp > aggressive jimping
  • No finger choil on the blade
  • Not heavy enough to noticeably weigh down my swimsuit
  • Blade edge extends past knuckles or close to it so you can cut some food

Edit-
just lost 5 roundhouses to customs :(
so, yeah- no bearings, no flipper tab, no axis lock or button lock...
WTF that sucks

This is going to be a thread that I follow with no small amount of curiosity.

I am a slipjoint guy and though I certainly own and appreciate more modern designs and steels, my slipjoints usually accommodate my everyday cutting needs quite sufficiently. My pocket knives are subjected to rather light work (i.e. opening packages, preparing lunch, or whatever miscellaneous cutting chore might arise in a normal day). I don't usually require a heavy, robust pocket knife, especially when I usually have a fixed blade of sorts within easy reach.

So my design philosophy is going to differ considerably from many here perhaps.

One of the traits that I appreciate the most about my HDFK is that despite its ability to take a beating without so much as a chip or a roll, it is a cutter, and a damned fine one at that. I've said it before elsewhere and I'll say it again here: I can baton through small maple rounds for a fire and go straight to slicing up tomatoes and onions with my HDFK without skipping a beat. That thing just keeps on going and going and going. The robust design, paired with its perfect grinds and excellent edge geometry, make for one of my finest cutting tools.

I am never going to use a folder for work that I would expect a fixed blade to be better at so ultimately, I want a cutter. Knowing CPK's approach to their knives in general, I have no reason to doubt that this knife will be anything but.

In regards to features I might be interested in seeing:
  1. I have little fondness for fancy rainbow colored titanium and/or futuristic looking carbon fiber. If you are going to add additional cover materials to a steel or titanium framed knife, textured micarta and/or G10 would be excellent options, especially if it could maintain the notable look that CPK handles already have.
  2. Keep the blade profile simple. No fancy recurve or weird angled grinds. A profile that is similar to one of your notable blades like the HDFK, Field Knife, or EDC would thrill me to death.
  3. Frame lock seems like it would be more than adequate unless you folks are looking into something new and awesome.
  4. Keep the overall package sleek and not overly large. A blade of around 3", give or take a few eights, would be pretty perfect.
Ultimately a thin, lightweight package that will serve my light everyday cutting needs. I don't need a replacement for a fixed blade...

I like many different folders for different uses ... but have to say I prefer a bit larger folder and one that isn't necessarily a large handle ... but one that isn't too tiny or thin so that I can use a full grip and it is comfortable to grip tightly and in different grips ...

alot of the things I like about CPKs fixed blade handles ... they are well thought out and are very usable in many different grips ... that would be my number one issue ...

I prefer a 3 1/2" - 4" blade I can do most anything with that size blade ...

as far as locking mechanisms I like frame or liner locks ... and I still like back locks ...

one hand opening ... but not necessarily a flipper ... just an effective one handed opening ... and prefer being able to close it one handed ...

steel ... for a folder I prefer stainless as the pocket carry can be corrosive ... but I'm not opposed to a non stainless if it at least resistant if cared for ... I personally would love to see a folder in AEB-L ...

a full flat grind is my personal preference ... and a well thought out pocket clip ...

blade shape ... I like a sheepsfoot or drop point probably my two favorite folding blade types ... a spearpoint probably my next choice ...

just my personal thoughts ...

Last edited:

that sucks! ... that would have to add some thought to have it able to pass customs ... damn shame they have went to grabbing so many types of knives for no good reason.

I'm over it. Just a little sad I wasn't able to give them to the peeps who I wanted to have one

That sucks Lorien! Sorry to hear that man.
How do all the WE knives and other flipper brands get into the country successfully I wonder. Seems to be a number of new models at versions Canadian dealers.......

a dealer needs to possess a 'restricted weapons' permit and state the contents as 'restricted weapons'

a dealer needs to possess a 'restricted weapons' permit and state the contents as 'restricted weapons'
Crazy, next thing you know, they will have you on a watch list for designing them........or maybe........

Blade long enough for every day cutting chores, which for me puts it at 4". That does not change just because it is a folder.
Handle should be long enough to house that blade, which will also provide plenty to hold onto, like a good handle should. No too-short not secure enough grip handles. I like carbon fiber or G10 scales. Not a fan of metal handles at all. I agree with others that fancy cut-outs are not good, because they rarely fit my hands. CPK/Lorien excel at handle ergonomics and I count on that in a folder too.
The whole package should be easy to fit in a pocket and light enough to not weight it down. The blade does not need to be overly thick - 3-4mm is plenty. I like full-flat grind with a good point and not too much belly. I use the point a lot and don't use a folder for hunting.
One hand opening that works even with winter mittens - my favorite is a spyderco opening hole and I'd pay extra to get that, with proper licensing. I do not like flippers - no matter what they require a weak grip to keep your fingers clear while opening, and definitely do not work well with winter gloves.
Lock needs to be strong and preferably possible to one-hand operate too. I often have something in my non-knife hand that I am either holding or cutting, so one-hand closing is useful. Backlock or one of the variants such as stop lock or powerlock (those are spydercos). A good liner lock is fine. Frame lock is ok, but not my favorite. Nothing that has a teeny coil spring.
And of course, the blade steel should be D3V :)

Back