a thread about folding knives

Here is one the the great things about knives.

I can’t stand the flared up tip, it catches seatbelts and shell layers and can pull a knife right up out of your pocket.

IMO, It also makes a clip look cheap like it was stamped or water jet cut out of a sheet and bent. It also gouges things you lean against.

I much prefer how Shiro machines the clips to create a stand off height that achieves the same ability to grip it and remove the knife, or insert into a pocket while catching the edge without making that tip stick out.

Bent clips are are deal breaker for me.

I also dislike the pokey and cheap-ish feeling aspects of flared-up pocket clips, and I’ve had them pull out of my pocket too and will not use them. I think bent clips are fine though if the tip is bent back down flat at the end, so it’s not sticking out and poking stuff. Like the standard vanilla clips you get on Spydercos. I thought the Shiro clip was overly fancy and bulky.

i think a slick retractable pocket clip would be cool, maybe a refined version of the Lionsteel clip on their ROK model?

i would prefer a framelock to a liner lock, but both can be very strong.

Here is one the the great things about knives.

I can’t stand the flared up tip, it catches seatbelts and shell layers and can pull a knife right up out of your pocket.

IMO, It also makes a clip look cheap like it was stamped or water jet cut out of a sheet and bent. It also gouges things you lean against.

I much prefer how Shiro machines the clips to create a stand off height that achieves the same ability to grip it and remove the knife, or insert into a pocket while catching the edge without making that tip stick out.

Bent clips are are deal breaker for me.

One day, while I was feeding limbs into a woodchipper, I looked down and saw my pocketknife riding away on the branch that was in the chipper. The flared tip got a branch under it and lifted it right out of my pocket!

Maybe a folder could be designed with a special guard or some design feature that makes it sit and stay upright in the back of your pocket, tip up, without a clip, and just stay there and not fall over

Personally I would prefer a backlock or something similar to an axis lock. Frame locks are ok but I just cant learn to love them. No liner locks.

Given the nature of the knives you make, I would say that something comparable in locking capability to the Extrema rao II (as in utilizing a pin, this is also seen in the battle horse knives tree frog) would be interesting. Maybe having that pin able to be seated into the handle instead of just dangling from a lanyard. Doing something like this could make it easier for people who live in countries with lock laws (or you could still make the knife lock and have that pin be an added level of toughness/security).

Blade wise, I tend to favor 3.5" blades. Clip points are really nifty and seldom seen on folders however a spear point is usually a safer bet in terms of what is popular. Blade ideally would be ground similarly to the EDC series of blades.
And as for the handle, I would really love to see micarta scales/inlays on full liners.

I think the combination of those would make it a very nice and unique knife relative to the market we see which is flooded with ti framelocks.

That said, I am not really likely to end up a buyer anyway. Graduating college next month so I plan on being more broke than ever!

I was just thinking, it probably wouldn't appeal to Nathan, but it would be neat to see a CPK friction folder. I can well imagine a lovely bomb proof friction folder being a pleasant tool to use. It would have been nice to have a real solid one back when I was landscaping. Plus it would be good for people in places where locks are banned.

I’d like to see a drop point with a belly in the 3.6 to 4” range. Liner lock with nice grippy micarta covers or a frame lock with micarta inlays.
Full flat grind in 3V since there’s not many folders offered in 3V. Double thumb studs that don’t protrude way out past the frame. Non flipping.
A place to tie a FOB or lanyard on. Phosphor bronze washers, finger grooves and it can be taken apart, cleaned without having to worry about voiding a warranty or having to have a Manuel to get it together again. Good wear resistant hardware so you don’t have to worry about stripping something out. Pivot size isn’t an issue. Pocket clip should be flexible to accommodate thicker pockets and still be sturdy for dress style pockets.Lets face it, if I’m depending on a pocket clip to keep my knife secure then I need to rethink carrying a nice knife. An optional pocket sheath would be nice for those that like to carry in the pocket.

Lock: anything but a liner/frame lock. Too many of those already and they are antiquated IMO. We need something fresh and original. I would encourage CPK to design a new locking mechanism if at all possible.

Blade: 3.25-3.5” D3V

Handle: Micarta or g10, something grippy when wet.

Pocket clip: deep enough carry that it doesn’t fall out, not so deep that it is difficult to get out of the pocket.

Yeah, if it has a liner lock or frame lock I won’t be getting one. I just don’t like them, and I also know I’m in the minority here so I won’t be holding my breath.

I also don’t like thumb studs or thumb disks.

These are the reasons I pretty much just carry a Spyderco.

Lock: anything but a liner/frame lock. Too many of those already and they are antiquated IMO. We need something fresh and original. I would encourage CPK to design a new locking mechanism if at all possible.

Blade: 3.25-3.5” D3V

Handle: Micarta or g10, something grippy when wet.

Pocket clip: deep enough carry that it doesn’t fall out, not so deep that it is difficult to get out of the pocket.

Johnnytox speaks the truth!
Any folder that CPK brings out in 3V, I am getting it. That's a done deal but to come out with a new locking mechanism? That would be fine, very very fine!

To me, these types of knives are utilitarian in nature. I have always preferred users over straight collectors, though I have some I have never used. Frame or liner lock is fine - if they are done correctly. 3 inch blade, 3.5 max if necessary for design or ergonomics. I am okay with a flipper, studs are good if the knife opens as expected. Never liked the Spyderco type hole for opening a knife. Scales should be functional including for cold and wet hands, but something to add a subtle look.

I’m sorry in advance for hating on this knife, but there’s a design flaw that kills it for me. The pocket clip is too pointy. It is also recessed into the handle and fully integrated into the knife design so removing it would hurt the aesthetics and leave a hole. It creates a hotspot and it pokes my finger when I flip it open, but my real complaint is that the tip of this clip pokes into the stitching of the T shirts I wear and pulls it, to where I had to cut the hem on two of my beloved shirts, a slow and cruel shirt death...UNFORGIVABLE!!

The very pointy point where the clip contacts the knife also bothers me. Pointy everywhere. Why’s it have to be so pointy.

MJQc7ua.jpg

a2hiot0.jpg

Back