a thread about folding knives

There can be only one.

yP79D3al.png

I hope it goes without saying that whatever configuration the CPK folder takes I'll be in.

That being said, I've really been coming to appreciate some thin slicey blades. I'm pretty sure I could chop down a brick shit house with any of my CPK choppers then shave my balls (ok, maybe someone else's balls) afterwards. The midsized and EDC blades are even sharper and strong as hell.

I would love to see a folder or small fixed blade taken down as thin as @Nathan the Machinist would dare with D3V. The warranty would have to be modified, no 16 penny nail chopping.

Strong enough to carve and do light batoning(under hand pressure) on wood(breaking corners off for a spoon or whatnot), sharp enough to flense through meat, thin enough to shatter if you wacked it with a hammer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd kick a baby wallabee for a strong bushcrafty folder from CPK. But.. what if I'm out crafting bushes and have to cut out my own appendix on a Saturday morning?

I was thinking about this, and it occurred to me that a super strong folding knife would probably have two locks.

The first would lock the liner or frame lock like other knives on the market, but the second lock would be a rotating or sliding piece that folds or slides over the joint and takes up all the space between the pivot and the frame on both sides, maybe a horseshoe shaped double wedge like piece that would eliminate any pivot or blade movement when it was flipped to the locking position.

This second pivot bushing lock would be a new innovation in hard use folders.

This is something that would require very close tolerances and could only be created by a madman and a skilled machinist working together.

I can't remember if I posted here. I think CPK does a really fine (finest?) fixed blade. I'm optimistic about a folder, but there is one, if not more, 800lbs gorillas in that arena already. Things I specifically do not look for in a folder:
  • Thickness/overbuilt (otherwise, Hinderer)
  • Prying "in a pinch" (otherwise, Hinderer)
  • Flippers (otherwise, Hinderer)
  • Size (otherwise, fixed blade)
Things I don't really care about all that much:
  • Lock (type, having it or not)
  • Thumb lug vs. hole
Things that are very nice to have but I could live without:
  • Pocket clip
  • Wood/micarta inlays
  • Simple takedown construction (ala CRK)
I look for an ideally 4" closed, 3" blade, with a nice pointy tip. When I add this all up it sounds a lot like most CRK models.

Last edited:
I just read through the whole thread, and this stuck out:

IMO, It also makes a clip look cheap like it was stamped or water jet cut out of a sheet and bent. It also gouges things you lean against.

Yes, I can buy a replacement CRK clip and screw for $15. This is a massive advantage. I can also bend, rebend, adjust, and generally fuck up my clip without worrying too much. A replacement clip for a Shiro costs a lot more and doesn't work as well.

Aesthetically I agree, it does look "nicer."

If there's a CPK folder, I hope they consider the CRK clip since it's (1) proven; (2) used by other makers already; (3) cheap. Offer a milled clip option for those that really need the aesthetic, but I'll take a stamped bent clip for usability every day of the week.

Nathan has already said that his first foray into the folder market will be in the form of a very robust yet simple folding knife based on his FK2, something that someone like his landscaper neighbor can buy to use without much due regard for glamor and pizzazz. I don’t think that it will be a gentleman folder designated for the urbanites; it will be a beast which will have its own niche. CPK has enough diehards and knuckleheads to be able to sell its usual 200ish units.

Nathan has already said that his first foray into the folder market will be in the form of a very robust yet simple folding knife based on his FK2, something that someone like his landscaper neighbor can buy to use without much due regard for glamor and pizzazz.

Heck I'd buy one too just to see what it's like. But I squarely purchase CPK fixed blades to balance out the slimmer folder that rides along all the time. Between home and the office I've never needed something larger than 3", even if legal limit here is 4". On a hike, something like the Impinda pairs really well with a FK2. Folder for cutting a loose thread, a small plastic package, or making a precise cut. Fixed blade for everything larger.

I don’t think that it will be a gentleman folder designated for the urbanites;

I'm optimistic about a folder, but I wanted to respectfully put a voice from the other smaller/slimmer side into the thread. :D I wouldn't call most of my CRK rotation "gentleman folders" but they sure are simple and effective tools.

As it happens Nathan still seems to judge most folders against the Sebenza in terms of a simple and very efficient construction. IIRC, Mr. Carothers has been carrying CRKs for many many years, both Manadi and the Sebbie. He also acknowledges the Achilles heel of the CRK brand so I’m quite optimistic that although the first CPK-Folder will be inspired by Chris Reeve’s Sebenza mechanically, it will benefit from the kinda steel and HT that CPK leaves those other folder makers in the dust.

Bottomline: the first CPK folder may not win many congeniality awards but it will smoke ‘em when It comes to what knives are supposed to do ;)

Back