a thread about folding knives

my Catalyst pattern, by Lightfoot
uaGs8EK.png

Maybe a folder could be designed with a special guard or some design feature that makes it sit and stay upright in the back of your pocket, tip up, without a clip, and just stay there and not fall over

I love this idea. Flared clip tips = see all problems already stated. But non-flares can be difficult to deploy. So what to do? This would be great, as I have carried in rear pocket for decades (flared clip tip can be a real problem here), which is great if it is a larger folder and/or you carry a lot of junk in your front pocket. Only real problem I have with rear pocket carry is it wears holes through all of my back pockets! (Note: I have caught the tip of and bent probably 4 CRK Sebenza clips - and don't even bring up the Hawk design - it'll catch everything within reach.)

I just read through the whole thread, and this stuck out:

Yes, I can buy a replacement CRK clip and screw for $15. This is a massive advantage. I can also bend, rebend, adjust, and generally fuck up my clip without worrying too much. A replacement clip for a Shiro costs a lot more and doesn't work as well.

Aesthetically I agree, it does look "nicer."

If there's a CPK folder, I hope they consider the CRK clip since it's (1) proven; (2) used by other makers already; (3) cheap. Offer a milled clip option for those that really need the aesthetic, but I'll take a stamped bent clip for usability every day of the week.

While this is true to a certain extent about rebending or rebuying a relatively inexpensive replacement, the problem is that you might have lost the knife beforehand. And those ain't cheap.

If I were tasked with designing a floder I would start by examining the nominal best in the industry. CRK and Shiro. It's no mean task.

What you like, what you don't like. It doesn't need to be different for difference sake. But, to be truly useful it needs to be versatile in its usefulness.

Last edited:
I like back/mid locks for their strong detents....

they're boring, according to some, but dependable and about as safe as safe gets in folding blades...

eAGtUrW.jpg

I also appreciate how I have tactile <and audible> feedback when my backlock opens/shuts fully and securely.

everyone who carries a folder actually in their pocket, will experience grit, lint, general schmutz working it's way into the lock-- it's only a matter of time...

with my Native and Chaparral, it's is 100% obvious when it's not cycling positively...liner locks are more deceptive in that way, I've discovered :eek:...

CPK, does so many things well, and one thing I've really fallen in lust with is their handles...the ergos, the materials, the texture, just everything about em :thumbsup::)...

The first TeroTuf I was ever able to actually use was on a LC...I love the TufStuff :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Also, the feel of unbuffed Micarta combined with the Carothers texturing is so, so, right and soooo sublime.

In summary, P2.1's wish list for a CPK/Lorien/other collaborator folder:
1. Back/mid lock
2. "Warm" covers, ie Micarta, TeroTuf, etc. with subtle directional texturing
3. Unique CPK deisgned double thumb studs, out of the path of the cutting edge, or Licensed Spyderhole
4. Any NathantheMachinist proofed steel. I've learned to trust his recipes. ;)

Last edited:
While this is true to a certain extent about rebending or rebuying a relatively inexpensive replacement, the problem is that you might have lost the knife beforehand. And those ain't cheap.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding. You’re suggesting that the clip causes loss of the knife?

If so, from my perspective, stamped clips are superior for retention. I can increase (or decrease) tension on a stamped clip much easier than a milled one, and this lets me customize to whatever carry application I have.

Milled clips are fine, but stamped is more practical.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding. You’re suggesting that the clip causes loss of the knife?

If so, from my perspective, stamped clips are superior for retention. I can increase (or decrease) tension on a stamped clip much easier than a milled one, and this lets me customize to whatever carry application I have.

Milled clips are fine, but stamped is more practical.

Thank you for the comments. Good points. But, yes, I am suggesting exactly that. One commenter spoke of a branch lifting his knife out by the clip into a wood chipper! If the knife is caught by something and then lifted out of pocket it can be lost to the ages. I have lost a very good knife in just such a fashion. A handful of times I have had the knife "lost" this way, but luckily eventually found it (under the seat of the truck, etc.).

I do not disagree with you. I just do not know what the solution is to the various pros and cons of methods of construction and design. Not my strength! I am a user, not a designer.

ALSO: I was remiss in not introducing myself. My sincere apologies for the breach of etiquette. I am pretty active off and on on the Busse forum. I have been "collecting" custom, semi-custom, and higher-end production knives since childhood in the '70's. I have been using 'em hard in the field since not long after, and still do. I have lurked here for a bit due to the enviable and spreading reputation of these fine user tools (not that they ain't beautiful - function so well dictating form from what I can see). I will definitely be picking up one (ok, likely several!) in the near future.

Cheers!

Josh K's post about CRK clips makes a good point for designing the folder to be able to use the same screw configuration as some very common folder.

There are a number of companies that make aftermarket accessory clips, and they already have a variery of clips available with flared ends, non-flared ends, deep carry etc. (and all sorts of colors/finishes).

It would make it really easy for folks to get whatever type of pocket clip they prefer, from the options already available on the market.

Thank you for the comments. Good points. But, yes, I am suggesting exactly that. One commenter spoke of a branch lifting his knife out by the clip into a wood chipper! If the knife is caught by something and then lifted out of pocket it can be lost to the ages.

<snip>

ALSO: I was remiss in not introducing myself. My sincere apologies for the breach of etiquette.

Ah, I understand. This is one of the trade offs for carry style. Myself, I prefer the clip to a pocket slip or belt sheath. The former I find moves too much in my pocket, the latter too obvious. All with trade offs as you highlight.

No breach of etiquette! Good to know you. :)

Ah, I understand. This is one of the trade offs for carry style. Myself, I prefer the clip to a pocket slip or belt sheath. The former I find moves too much in my pocket, the latter too obvious. All with trade offs as you highlight.

No breach of etiquette! Good to know you. :)

I agree on the other means of carry. Yes, a compromise it is, though I hold out hope for a solution created by a mad genius!

Thanks for the welcome.

Since we are talking about folders again,
I like the flipper/framelock combo for 3 reasons:
1.very easy to deploy
2. acts as a finger guard in the open position
3.when closing the knife, momentarily protects the finger from the sharp edge

Downside- not happened to me,but there are internet stories of, in-pocket deployment .
Dont know whether this is a design flaw of a particular brand, or the flaw is integral to flippers in general.
Regardless of whichever design elements are chosen, can't wait for the finished product!

That's a hard question because I'm one person.

But, what works for me:
1: blade between 3.5 and 4". The closer to 4" the better (4"is that sweet spot for me).

2. Opens like butter on bearings.

3. Use of things like carbon fiber scales to reduce weight.

4. Deep or traditional carry clips

In terms of zero tolerance knives, think zt0452 not 0350.

For me, what makes CPK stand out is the combination of toughness with performance as a cutting tool.

I’ve said it before elsewhere, but to my mind, if you want to transfer that concept to the ultimate hard use folder and fill a gap in the market, then build a balisong designed for practical use with a 4.5” D3V blade. Charles Marlowe’s Badger would provide a good model, but it you don’t want to license that, then design something similar (perhaps with less blade height).

I’d certainly buy a DEKisong.

Last edited:
For me, what makes CPK stand out is the combination of toughness with performance as a cutting tool.

I’ve said it before elsewhere, but to my mind, if you want to transfer that concept to the ultimate hard use folder and fill a gap in the market, then build a balisong designed for practical use with a 4.5” D3V blade. Charles Marlowe’s Badger would provide a good model, but it you don’t want to license that, then design something similar (perhaps with less blade height).

I’d certainly buy a DEKisong.
I’ve suggested the same thing several pages back.
I’d definitely be in for a CPK Balisong!
Full Ti integral handles, possibly Tanto to start and then something leaf shaped.
Tero tuff or AECM inlays would really spice it up.

Random thought, maybe for another thread, mid back lock would be awesome for a folder.

Back