A very nice surprise!

When I was around 6 years old and interested in knives I remember being shown a bayonet at my Grandma's.. I was fascinated by it and every time we visited I would bolt for the drawer I knew it was in and stare at it. My grandma always told me I'd be given the bayonet at some point. Probably the last time I held it was when I was around 12... I haven't visited her as much since as we moved away.. I turned 29 last week and get a text from my dad stating my grandma sent him home with some knives for me... I immediately remembered the bayonet and knew it had to be on it's way.

Low -and-behold It's in my hand again ... It's been a long time coming! I only wish I knew which relative had it issued to them...no one knows. I've done a search and apparently it's actually a desirable bayonet but I'd never sell the thing. I'm looking forward to learning more about the knife and scabbard.

PXL_20210106_002626066_resize_7.jpg PXL_20210106_002655431_resize_63.jpg

Now the next is really hitting home.. as I mentioned my dad referenced knives not just a knife... When I caught a glimpse of the red bone my eyes probably looked like saucers as I knew immediately that it was a case. A 64047p that probably could tell some great stories. My grandma comes from a ranching family in eastern washington state and I believe this knife was used on said ranch. Despite damaged edges/cracked pile side covers the blades all have great snap and honestly the thing probably could be restored but I think I like it as and will keep it as is. It is a perfect example of a well made and used tool from men who worked a lot harder than I have ever had to. Thanks for reading!

PXL_20210106_002441231_resize_49.jpg PXL_20210106_002435094_resize_15.jpg

The bayonet is very :cool: !
And to have a pocketknife that your Grandpa used is priceless! :thumbsup:

You might want to use some super glue to stabilize the pile side bone where the chip is missing.

Dave

Nice story. Very cool. I had a knive blade with a big semicircle gouge like that Spey blade. It happened when I cut into a live wire. :eek:

Last edited:
Sweet. I used to collect Garand bayonets. I hope you have a M1 to hold it.

After some reading learned that this is one of the 10" cut down models from the original 16" model. I can't see a mark though for company who did the modification so maybe this one ended up back at UFH by chance! I didn't know Utica and Pal were one of the contracted outfits. I've had a good time learning tonight! I don't have an M1 but that might (should) have to change hahaha

I only wish I knew which relative had it issued to them...no one knows.
To help you narrow it down. :)

If you're 29, you're around the same age as my grand daughter.
My grand father (my grand daughter's great-great grand father) was the right age (18 to 35) to have served in WW2.
Therefore, I'd guess the bayonet was issued either to your great-great grand father, or possibly one of his brothers (your great-great-great uncle).
My grandfather's job was "more important to the war effort" in 1941, than him going over to fight. The military didn't allow him to join up/enlist to fight in WW2. However, at least one of his brothers (one or more of my great uncles) did serve during the war.
(Grandpa was a scientist/researcher involved in food and food production for one of the seed companies. I don't remember which one, but I know it wasn't Monsanto. They were never in our town.)

I don't know (never did) which of his brothers fought in WW2, what theater(s) (European, Pacific, or African) they fought in, or what branch/branches of the military they were in.

Those are wonderful mementos from your past family members, and I appreciate that you want to keep the Case knife in it's current condition.

What a great story, and thank you for sharing pictures of these treasured pieces of your family's past. I hope they'll continue to bring you many years of joy and pride of ownership!

When I was around 6 years old and interested in knives I remember being shown a bayonet at my Grandma's.. I was fascinated by it and every time we visited I would bolt for the drawer I knew it was in and stare at it. My grandma always told me I'd be given the bayonet at some point. Probably the last time I held it was when I was around 12... I haven't visited her as much since as we moved away.. I turned 29 last week and get a text from my dad stating my grandma sent him home with some knives for me... I immediately remembered the bayonet and knew it had to be on it's way.

Low -and-behold It's in my hand again ... It's been a long time coming! I only wish I knew which relative had it issued to them...no one knows. I've done a search and apparently it's actually a desirable bayonet but I'd never sell the thing. I'm looking forward to learning more about the knife and scabbard.

View attachment 1486020 View attachment 1486022

Now the next is really hitting home.. as I mentioned my dad referenced knives not just a knife... When I caught a glimpse of the red bone my eyes probably looked like saucers as I knew immediately that it was a case. A 64047p that probably could tell some great stories. My grandma comes from a ranching family in eastern washington state and I believe this knife was used on said ranch. Despite damaged edges/cracked pile side covers the blades all have great snap and honestly the thing probably could be restored but I think I like it as and will keep it as is. It is a perfect example of a well made and used tool from men who worked a lot harder than I have ever had to. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 1486028 View attachment 1486025

What a wonderful gift from your Grandma!
At 70 years old I still remember things that were my Grandpa's that I wish I ended up with. He fought in WWI in France. The things I do have are some of my most treasured.

Back