A virtual tour of HI in Nepal

I would have like to have seen the tempering of the blade. I have hear it is done by pouring water on the blade with a tea kettle. Looked like finishing the blade would take the temper out with all the sparks flying and holding it with a piece of leather or wood . thank you for your effort. Very informative.

I just rewatched Howard's video and noticed Rajkumar working on the Fish Knife that was a DOTD earlier this month, and purchased by "javand".

(This footage starts around 01:45)

Finally got a chance to watch this. Very nice to be able to see khukuris in the making. (Howard, I like the leather waistcoat too, by the bye.)

Sat down this evening, and watched the video twice. Many thanks to all involved in this, I've never seen anything like it. OSHA would have a stroke. It makes me appreciate the work put into the kuks I currently own, and makes me look forward to more.even more than I did before

Mr. Wallace is that u. Finally nice to meet u.:D..I can see that OSHA would not be welcomed there.But yes, very nice though. thanks.

Thanks HW for making it happen.
Totally enjoyed the video.
BTW.This type of work conditions are everyday way of live in many countries.
I suppose, it's truly amazing for 'western people' to see how they shiny knifes
come form the 'nothingness' but talent, sweat and sometimes even blood.

Outstanding video..Thank you..I am very pleased to have found this...I am trying to turn every page in this learning lesson..So much valuable information in these forums..

Thanks for bumping this, I never would have seen it! This was exactly what I needed to show people when I try and explain how an amazing knife is hand forged in those conditions, proves you don't need big factories and machines for everything!

P.s. thanks Howard Wallace for the vid :)

Very happy to find this and pass it along..They will believe you now! If not, so be it..YOU know..I will be corrected if i am wrong, but, since the time of this post they have merged in to 1 building,,,As we know, a Khukuri can be bought with ease from a host of on line companies..
There is something very special about HI and their business model that you or i will not find except for here..I spent almost 2 months reading and researching before i even registered to be on the forum or make a purchase...This is more that just buying a blade in my opinion.
The love and caring for each other is what really set HI apart from the rest...Hands down...You may never find kamis who own a wrist watch and shoes/sandals...This is an even playing grouGoing through the archives is really an amazing journey...I spend an hour or 2 just about every evening just digging in to the business practices and the relationships HI has established with business associates and their customers...Kind of hard to put in to words without dang near writing a novel!! Being a 2 finger key board user makes it really tuff....

Just watched it again for probably the 20th time, gets better everytime I see it. Well done Mr. Wallace and my best to Red Flower.

This view rekindled my hankering for a kerambit. Again.

Howard, many of us work here under not much different safety practices....go to any local machine or welding or independent mechanic shop....you would not believe our exposures to carcinogens in my trade, just imagine going home and every time you belch it tastes like benzene...

The tour is amazing and another for a history library...and likewise i would have never seen but for it being bumped to top again....no apologies for excusing lack of modernity in a country where a job at all is a treasure and they work only with non hazardous materials unlike many in that country or many others....

As for worries as to temper, those blades were not near hot enough from what was essentially a rough polish more than lean-on heavy grind....and note no grinding or polishing stayed on the metal constantly...the key to not burning the metal.

My thanks again to Howard who has obviously spent a good part of his lifetime in blending his west to their east....not many bother to actually study eastern thought and ways of life....i always try to remember that i am the barbarian in the midst of things when with their people, and not the other way around.

Edited in query for Howard....Howard it just struck me that you were wearing maybe one of those utili-kilts which were so popular 10-15 yrs ago?....friend of mine of suitable ancestry had one back then and was notable in his lack of success in getting we other euro-stock to convert to wearing one.

Last edited:
Howard, many of us work here under not much different safety practices....go to any local machine or welding or independent mechanic shop....you would not believe our exposures to carcinogens in my trade, just imagine going home and every time you belch it tastes like benzene...

OSHA has rules on the books for things like machine guarding and Permissible Exposure Limits to toxins. Due to limited resources, OSHA focuses much of its enforcement activities on larger companies, who ignore the rules at their own peril. Practically, the threat of enforcement action is not as great for small companies because inspectors will rarely if ever get to them unless there is a complaint. Even those small companies would be hard pressed in a civil suit though, were it shown they were not following a national standard of care.

The tour is amazing and another for a history library...and likewise i would have never seen but for it being bumped to top again...

Karda has gone to quite a bit of effort indexing threads for historical purposes. I commend to your attention the Cantina Library.

...Howard it just struck me that you were wearing maybe one of those utili-kilts which were so popular 10-15 yrs ago?....friend of mine of suitable ancestry had one back then and was notable in his lack of success in getting we other euro-stock to convert to wearing one.

Good eye. I have several utilikilts. They are made and marketed here in the Seattle area. Since I was born here in Washington I am of suitable ancestry. ;)

Small shops here are never inspected. It took major complaints at the huge (over 20,000 employee) industrial complex where i work at to get them to set foot in the door and they are busy allowing businesses to meet their "Gold Standard" briefly to be self-policing so that can not bother coming back again....

Then something goes wrong and they swarm in as killer bees....

I did not catch this video in the archives and very glad it was bumped to top or i would have missed it.

We krauts would never do something as silly as wear a dress to war....we always did more dignified things like paint ourselves blue and run naked into battle.

Back